Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?

Go down 
+9
mrkatsucurry
uncleP
Lonewo1f
mi5trooper
mengteck71
Yarra
pushslice
scottycollector
snagy23
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? Empty
PostSubject: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi all.

Happy cny to all. Taking a break so come thinking about it.
Just got a razr fit 10.5 pair with tour ad dj 5 stiff.
I like the feel of tour ad dj shaft but seems like it is launching too high may have
Cos some distance.

Wonder if it is better to pair with a high torque shaft meaning low kick shaft with low lofted driver head or have a low torque shaft meaning high kick with high loft driver head.

Appreciate all input.

Thank you
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Hi bro, that's a really good question. I've been experimenting with different lofts and shafts too. The following are some thoughts from my own DIY experience, so take it with a pinch of salt.

firstly, it's dependent very much on your swing. eg ur swingspeed and how aggressive or smooth u swing.

secondly, i think torque and kick points are 2 different things. u can have a low torque shaft with low kick and vice versa.

if your swing is smooth and not very fast, then generally speaking, a low kick shaft with low lofted head might be more suitable. Cos a high kick shaft will just feel boardy.

On the other hand, if your swing is aggressive and fast, then you should go for a high kick shaft with medium to high loft. Cos shafts with low kick will just feel too whippy and will likely increase your dispersion.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 8:19 pm

Bring to den? Eric has other shafts with rzr fit adaptor to test your hyphotesis...

My razr fit is 9.5 with a low kick/high launch/high torque shaft and the resulting flight isnt balooning. Ballooning also depends on spin your Swing produce, not just launch.
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 11:46 pm

Pushslice is right, it is better to go and see a qualified fitter than play a guessing game over the Internet.
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 1:14 am

scottycollector wrote:
Hi bro, that's a really good question. I've been experimenting with different lofts and shafts too. The following are some thoughts from my own DIY experience, so take it with a pinch of salt.

firstly, it's dependent very much on your swing. eg ur swingspeed and how aggressive or smooth u swing.

secondly, i think torque and kick points are 2 different things. u can have a low torque shaft with low kick and vice versa.

if your swing is smooth and not very fast, then generally speaking, a low kick shaft with low lofted head might be more suitable. Cos a high kick shaft will just feel boardy.

On the other hand, if your swing is aggressive and fast, then you should go for a high kick shaft with medium to high loft. Cos shafts with low kick will just feel too whippy and will likely increase your dispersion.

Thank you for your reply. interesting about your experience.
i like the feel of the shaft which is smooth and do not feel it is boardy so i think the shaft is just right for me.
But i found that the ball flight is kinda high and it's like dropping out of the sky too.
I have tried to low the ball flight by hitting downwards, dont seems to work but also not to my liking as i am changing my swing which i think is not the right way to go.
my transition is slightly aggressive thats why the stiff works well in that part.
maybe you can share whats your set up now that is helping you?
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 1:18 am

pushslice wrote:
Bring to den? Eric has other shafts with rzr fit adaptor to test your hyphotesis...

My razr fit is 9.5 with a low kick/high launch/high torque shaft and the resulting flight isnt balooning. Ballooning also depends on spin your Swing produce, not just launch.

Yes, maybe need to pop by a fitter.
I was fitted by a fitter, so maybe good to pop by again to see, what can be done.
I am also looking for similar results like yours, meaning im looking for high but not ballooning ball flight.
well at least i know someone is doing the same, so at least that means it is possible for pairing up in such manner.

Thanks Pushslice.

cheers
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 1:18 am

Yarra wrote:
Pushslice is right, it is better to go and see a qualified fitter than play a guessing game over the Internet.

Thank you Yarra, i will sure visit the fitter to get a better understanding.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 5:09 am

Try Nike 20XI or One Rzn balls. Nike claims it hold the flight better and will not fall off the sky after the apex of the flight.

Maybe its the ball issue Smile
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 11:27 pm

snagy23 wrote:
Yarra wrote:

Thank you Yarra, i will sure visit the fitter to get a better understanding.

Cheers!

You don't need to understand everything behind them, you just need to visit a fitter to let them make you a better golfer. It is our job, as fitters, to understand how things work and how they could help you.

Just go into a fitting shop with an open mind. That will help a lot. Once you have a certain perception towards one thing or another, you will not gain from the experience as much. And make our job much harder, too. Haha! Laughing
Back to top Go down
mi5trooper
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 11:46 pm

sound good. i should visit one too. think of getting a senior shaft for my driver.
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 8:17 am

snagy23 wrote:
pushslice wrote:

Yes, maybe need to pop by a fitter.
I was fitted by a fitter, so maybe good to pop by again to see, what can be done.
I am also looking for similar results like yours, meaning im looking for high but not ballooning ball flight.
well at least i know someone is doing the same, so at least that means it is possible for pairing up in such manner.

Thanks Pushslice.

cheers

I really do not think it is a good idea, since your swing is not the same to that someone. An exact same setup will react and produce different results to different swings.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 8:22 am

I can attest to what Yarra said. Before, like many golfers, i thot I needed a low torque, low launch, low spin, high carbon expensive shafts to reduce spin, ballooning, dispersion etc.

Then I visited a fitter while in US and paid for a driver fitting to satisfy my curiosity. Lo and behold, turns out the shaft specs that gave me the best results were >4 torque, high launch,more active tip, stiffer flex than I thot I can handle, and even better, most cheap shafts have these characteristics! The benefits to have a beginner swing, with early release and all those deficiencies Laughing

That said, the fitter must have ample shafts for a particular head to choose fr and test. Yarra is also a shaft slut, he has a lot of shafts to try but he's in JKT Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 9:14 am

snagy23 wrote:
scottycollector wrote:

Thank you for your reply. interesting about your experience.
i like the feel of the shaft which is smooth and do not feel it is boardy so i think the shaft is just right for me.
But i found that the ball flight is kinda high and it's like dropping out of the sky too.
I have tried to low the ball flight by hitting downwards, dont seems to work but also not to my liking as i am changing my swing which i think is not the right way to go.
my transition is slightly aggressive thats why the stiff works well in that part.
maybe you can share whats your set up now that is helping you?

you should not be hitting down at the ball with your driver. if you do that, the chances are that the ball will pop up and go very high with lots of back spin. you must still hit up on the ball. just make sure that the face is square and not open.

my current set up is reflected in my signature below. from my personal experience, i think the kickpoint of the shaft has a greater effect on the ball flight than the loft of the driver.
Back to top Go down
Lonewo1f
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 9:40 am

Hi sifus,

I am still a beginner and would like to find out more on drivers settings which suits my fast and aggressive swing. Any recommendation for a good fitter ? Am using R11 with stock Japanese shaft (stiff-flex). Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Lonewo1f
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 9:40 am

Hi sifus,

I am still a beginner and would like to find out more on drivers settings which suits my fast and aggressive swing. Any recommendation for a good fitter ? Am using R11 with stock Japanese shaft (stiff-flex). Thanks.
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 9:49 am

Looking at the set up U have been custom by him.

How high? and wat is the carry and total distance?
No height, no distance, no swing speed also no distance.

Eric go holiday, your game also suffer?
Poor thing.
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 10:03 pm

uncleP wrote:
Looking at the set up U have been custom by him.

How high? and wat is the carry and total distance?
No height, no distance, no swing speed also no distance.

Eric go holiday, your game also suffer?
Poor thing.

Hi, thanks for reply.
Yes, i have gone to Eric fitting.
But the driver was fitted by another fitter.
I like the shaft performance, but maybe not the height.
Funny thing was when i go for a round of golf today.
using my own ball rather than range ball, it seems like i can hit beyond 200m and the ball height does not looks as bad as i was hitting in the range.
I drive one of the ball landed on the top of a hill wall about 7-8m above the horizon, using range finder it indicate 201m so if including some roll and land flat it should be at least 210-220.
in range i hardly be able to hit 180-190.
Well, i am really not sure, maybe will either go back to the fitter who fits my driver or eric to hear what they have to say.
hehehe.
: )
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Go to a course tat U familiar, ask your kaki to be patient. tee off few balls( diff model) and see what U can achieve. Must use the same boring swing. U will see there is also different height and distance. Choose between shoke feel, long distance. Usually not so lucky shoke no distance, distance no feel...........
This is golf, good luck bro.
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 10:59 pm

uncleP wrote:
Go to a course tat U familiar, ask your kaki to be patient. tee off few balls( diff model) and see what U can achieve. Must use the same boring swing. U will see there is also different height and distance. Choose between shoke feel, long distance. Usually not so lucky shoke no distance, distance no feel...........
This is golf, good luck bro.

Good idea, maybe need to do that only during weekdays go batam where no one is there. than can really practice.
hehe.

Thanks ! : )
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 11:13 pm

Don't really need to go batam. Some of the exec courses are pretty quiet during the weekdays.

Jcc or Changi has par 4 or par 5 long and straight enough to test out your drives.

Though at Changi, it seems like the Marshalls zip about quite frequently.

Still tee off 3-4 shots. I'm sure won't hurt anybody.
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 11:18 am

pushslice wrote:
I can attest to what Yarra said. Before, like many golfers, i thot I needed a low torque, low launch, low spin, high carbon expensive shafts to reduce spin, ballooning, dispersion etc.

Then I visited a fitter while in US and paid for a driver fitting to satisfy my curiosity. Lo and behold, turns out the shaft specs that gave me the best results were >4 torque, high launch,more active tip, stiffer flex than I thot I can handle, and even better, most cheap shafts have these characteristics! The benefits to have a beginner swing, with early release and all those deficiencies Laughing

That said, the fitter must have ample shafts for a particular head to choose fr and test. Yarra is also a shaft slut, he has a lot of shafts to try but he's in JKT Very Happy

I think most of the shaft I have tried here are available in the Den also, soo... Wink
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 7:38 pm

Also take note that off the rack drivers may not be playing to its true loft... Worst kept secret in golf?

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-the-worst-kept-secret-in-golf/
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 10:59 pm

pocketace wrote:
Also take note that off the rack drivers may not be playing to its true loft... Worst kept secret in golf?

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-the-worst-kept-secret-in-golf/

This is something like i heard that some clothes retailer just make sure that the sizes are smaller to make you feel good that you are a regular size rather than a large size.
Guess about the same theory.
btw, thank you for sharing the link. interesting! Smile
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 5:17 am

Some interesting article i found to share as well,

Tom Wishon Talking to WRX Readers- 10 Myths About Shafts factual info about shafts to help you all

http://www.golfwrx.com/6419/tom-wishon-talking-to-wrx-readers-10-myths-about-shafts-factual-info-about-shafts-to-help-you-all/

Taking the guesswork out of selecting shafts

http://www.golfwrx.com/40557/taking-the-guesswork-out-of-selecting-shafts-part-1/
http://www.golfwrx.com/44239/wishon-taking-shaft-fitting-from-guessing-to-specifics/
Back to top Go down
swordwind
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 2:03 pm

thks for the links.. very informative read. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?   which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

which type of driver set up? high loft high bend shaft or low loft low bend shaft?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next