Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!

Go down 
+33
fking_soon
htngwilliam
golffairy
paul@golf
golfer7381
hiryu
jag3333
stl67
kissthegreen
chien
skybobo
neutralgolfer
volkswagenboy
slinger
golfool2009
jhan18
pocketace
Kaii
renode
Momo333
willytan
Tigercrab
aquaman
asahi
Duval_S
uncleP
eyz4eva
haragolfer
Yz426
mikael
abadan
oldie-newbie
Brenttay
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 3:42 pm

golfool2009 wrote:

For me, I took a similar route to you, i.e. paid my friends a lot of tuition fees and it helped drop my h'cap significantly....

the latter part I agree with you....

as for the former, my wallet still can close leh....

hell with the popcorns, I bringing my chips n salsa for this one....
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 3:51 pm

Very funny guys, the poor feller want a pro to teach him how to play better game.
Just give him a pointer that he can also learn from the FRIENDS tat rob him or  be more careful in selecting Pros.
THE KEY WORD HERE IS "I want to play better"
it end up U ppl put fanciful terms on me, ( u read all my posting???)

Alternate medicine can be used.

We dont have a stage for our pro or the pro would not step into the stage???

This is wat I dont understand.

If you dont like or got offended, too bad I still think this way
Back to top Go down
Tigercrab
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Tigercrab

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 4:05 pm

Kaii wrote:
Momo333 wrote:

He observed in Singapore, people at the range do their own thing, they don't mingle and talk to the guy next to him.  He asked me why is that and why nobody want to help you or give tips.

In Singapore ranges , there is a big sign on the wall that no teaching is allowed otherwise you will have to leave after a first warning.
yalor this is a very strange n unfrdly rule. I was told at NSRCC range awhile back, i was told not to teach my son there. I had a shock ! 
Not sure whats the reason behind such a ruling  but they shd seriously consider to abolish it ! not as if it is a library need to be quiet. or it is disturbing those around trying to make their million dlr drive?
Back to top Go down
Tigercrab
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Tigercrab

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 4:16 pm

Tigercrab wrote:
Kaii wrote:
Momo333 wrote:

He observed in Singapore, people at the range do their own thing, they don't mingle and talk to the guy next to him.  He asked me why is that and why nobody want to help you or give tips.

In Singapore ranges , there is a big sign on the wall that no teaching is allowed otherwise you will have to leave after a first warning.
yalor this is a very strange n unfrdly rule. At NSRCC range awhile back, i was told not to teach my son there or i have to leave. I had a shock ! father teach son also wrong ?
Not sure whats the reason behind such a ruling  but they shd seriously consider to abolish it ! not as if it is a library need to be quiet. or it is disturbing those around trying to make their million dlr drive?

If the issue is non authorised commercial coaching perhaps the sign shd say "no commercial coaching by outsiders ( non resident coaches)? "

It is too over-the -top to ban any kind of instruction totally at the range. 
It is like throwing the baby  out with bath water ?
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 4:24 pm

when I started learning golf at Singa Inn . I got a coach to teach me the basic but lots of tips were from friends and follow golfers which some skills the coach didn't teach. perhaps trying to keep some n hoping that I will come back for more lessons  Laughing
Back to top Go down
volkswagenboy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
volkswagenboy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 4:36 pm

just my opinion, sharing of experiences and knowledge in golf is ok.. but at range it may not be that appropiate especially of what i saw recently at OCC range...
There was this gentleman in his 50s i think and wearing a spec whom appeared before 2 young chap (seems to be like beginners). He was seen giving instructions to these young chaps telling them how and what they should do in a golf swing even though its clear that that gentleman is not a coach in anyway.
When he told the young chaps that he will demostration for them, many pairs of eyes including me were on him thinking that he should be able to walk his talk. But to my surprises, he was hitting the range balls flat and topping them and none of the shots look decent to me. Can see the eyes of the young chaps laughing in their heart even though they agree totally with what that gentleman try to teach them and i pity the gentleman....
So moral of story, golf is a game of self motivation and concentration, its always better to get a certified coach whom can better direct you the technic that suits you...for this i agree with Justin Han...
thanks
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Kaii wrote:
when I started learning golf at Singa Inn . I got a coach to teach me the basic but lots of tips were from friends and follow golfers which some skills the coach didn't teach. perhaps trying to keep some n hoping that I will come back for more lessons  Laughing
Golf is a life long learning process. When I first started I learned the basics, how to grip, how to stand, backswing, downswing, follow through, etc. However the funny part is... along the way, I see some videos, heed advice from some friends, slowly I changed my swing... until I can't hit ball anymore(or really bad). Then I look for coach again and I realized my new coach tell me, my grip is wrong, my backswing is wrong, downswing is wrong, etc... it's like back to basic. Wonder how many of you gone through this?

Personally if you sign up for a beginner lesson, don't expect the coach to teach you the advance techniques. It is always good to go step by step. Make sure you understand the basic before you move up to the next step. Progressive training with a coach is the best, it will keep your swing in check.

Nonetheless, I would recommend get a SPGA certified(or PGA equivalent) teaching pro.
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 5:24 pm

neutralgolfer wrote:
Golf is a life long learning process. When I first started I learned the basics, how to grip, how to stand, backswing, downswing, follow through, etc. However the funny part is... along the way, I see some videos, heed advice from some friends, slowly I changed my swing... until I can't hit ball anymore(or really bad). Then I look for coach again and I realized my new coach tell me, my grip is wrong, my backswing is wrong, downswing is wrong, etc... it's like back to basic. Wonder how many of you gone through this?

Actually after reading all the comments here, i feel a lot better. I am actually not alone. On the flip side, I don't feel special anymore  Sad
Back to top Go down
Momo333
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Momo333

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 5:48 pm

volkswagenboy wrote:
just my opinion, sharing of experiences and knowledge in golf is ok.. but at range it may not be that appropiate especially of what i saw recently at OCC range...
There was this gentleman in his 50s i think and wearing a spec whom appeared before 2 young chap (seems to be like beginners). He was seen giving instructions to these young chaps telling them how and what they should do in a golf swing even though its clear that that gentleman is not a coach in anyway.
When he told the young chaps that he will demostration for them, many pairs of eyes including me were on him thinking that he should be able to walk his talk. But to my surprises, he was hitting the range balls flat and topping them and none of the shots look decent to me. Can see the eyes of the young chaps laughing in their heart even though they agree totally with what that gentleman try to teach them and i pity the gentleman....
So moral of story, golf is a game of self motivation and concentration, its always better to get a certified coach whom can better direct you the technic that suits you...for this i agree with Justin Han...
thanks

This is called, "uncle not malu lor".  

Personally, I think a good coach to begin with is a good thing, to get your basics right.  After that, you have to practise and find your "own comfort zone".  I welcome tips from friends but I don't listen to everything people say... just like the above example, can you walk the talk?
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 7:05 pm

Everytime I go to the range, I found a new swing.....only to realize it works only for that session.....ha ha

Anybody got such experience?
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 8:21 pm

skybobo wrote:
Everytime I go to the range, I found a new swing.....only to realize it works only for that session.....ha ha

That's why i don't go to range.. I let the swing find me during the game n I just follow along..  ROFL
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 9:21 pm

chien wrote:
skybobo wrote:

That's why i don't go to range.. I let the swing find me during the game n I just follow along..  ROFL
Chien, can't compare leh.. u are on the big green at least twice a week.. Most of us on the small green (range mat) probably once a week.. Lol..
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 9:26 pm

kissthegreen wrote:
chien wrote:
skybobo wrote:

Chien, can't compare leh.. u are on the big green at least twice a week.. Most of us on the small green (range mat) probably once a week.. Lol..

No la.. only once a week la.. no time no time….   Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
stl67
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 3:49 pm

skybobo wrote:

same here.... and then a new swing is developed after a disappointing game..   No   but after many years of heart breaking/disappointment, i finally found an easy way to swing.. hopefully this will be final.. of course now i am more confident and is playing better... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jag3333
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 1:07 am

i learn from this korean guy called kenny kim. he's good. made me shoot 120++ to 90++ within 3 months. but he taught me mainly at the greens. he brought me to msia to play, costs is around 2-300 for 2-3 students together. expensive but seriously worth every penny. he's honest humble and most importantly patient. u can text him 94352231 kenny kim. his rates at fairway i think bout $110 per hour, but contact him directly he prob charge bout 80-90. i went to a few pro before , much cheaper... but seriously not worth it.. u can try if he can help u.
Back to top Go down
hiryu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 8:29 am

jag3333 wrote:
i learn from this korean guy called kenny kim. he's good. made me shoot 120++ to 90++ within 3 months. but he taught me mainly at the greens. he brought me to msia to play, costs is around 2-300 for 2-3 students together. expensive but seriously worth every penny. he's honest humble and most importantly patient. u can text him 94352231 kenny kim. his rates at fairway i think bout $110 per hour, but contact him directly he prob charge bout 80-90. i went to a few pro before , much cheaper... but seriously not worth it.. u can try if he can help u.
I saw your other post so I'm curious.

i just played at warren today with my frensl (out of the 4 only 1 is my fren). i realised that he had a lobang playing at warren tues only at $110 only, lower than member guest fees and without member . next week i want to play again. anyone interested can pm me cos need min 4 balls and my fren cant make it. others who want to form a flight min 3 balls themselves can call my fren direct to book. 94352231 kim

Both the numbers listed are the same. So your friend is the pro?
Back to top Go down
golfer7381
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 6:58 pm

Dear golfers, I wanted to get my son who is 8 years-old this year to learn golf.  Since i am living in Toa Payoh, I plan to register him for golf lessons with the Poh Brothersa tthe Toa Payoh driving range. Having said that, i don't mind travelling a bit further if there are better golf coaches elsewhere.  Your advice on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks and happy golfing.
Back to top Go down
paul@golf
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
paul@golf

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 7:12 pm

hi bro golfer7381, personally I wld recommend Justin Han (seletar country club) as I find him very patient n accommodating wi very sound techniques, uptodate equipment n knowledge, if u wish for yur kid to have strong foundation n to play good golf for a longer time to come, JH is e pro for u  Smile
Back to top Go down
Brenttay
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Hi guys! Chillax ok..... I just want to play decent so my friends will invite me again to play with them. Imagine they have it look for my balls for 18 hole! Hahahah! Be it paying a pro or pay school fees to those buayas....don't care lah.... Improve ok Liao..... Thanks for all the advice. I don't need birdies... Too good no friends wanna invite me. I'm not greedy... 18 pars is good enough for me
Back to top Go down
http://Www.urbaninline.com.sg
jag3333
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 8:18 am

Yes hiryu the Korean pro is my coach and became my Fren
Back to top Go down
golfer7381
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 9:13 am

paul@golf wrote:
hi bro golfer7381, personally I wld recommend Justin Han (seletar country club) as I find him very patient n accommodating wi very sound techniques, uptodate equipment n knowledge, if u wish for yur kid to have strong foundation n to play good golf for a longer time to come, JH is e pro for u  Smile

Thanks for your advice, Paul.  After your recommendation, I feel like taking lesson from him personally now, haha.  By the way, have you seen him teaching young children before?  How much does he normally charge for a 10hr lesson (in total), both group and one-on-one lesson.  I got two kids actually, so it would be two-on-one.
Back to top Go down
hiryu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Justin does teaches juniors @ seletar.
Best is to contact him and decide.
Back to top Go down
golffairy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 9:14 am

It's always good to engage in a professional coach in the beginning because they will teach you the basics and it will make golf less harder than it already is =)
Back to top Go down
htngwilliam
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 8:49 pm

Any good coach at the punggol range? Prefer someone who is not a typical salesman. Face 1-2 who is actively promoting customization of clubs
Back to top Go down
fking_soon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 12:37 pm

Seletar Country Club

http://www.lipgolf.com/golf_lessons.aspx?menu=3 

good coach appear on ESPN as commentator 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next