Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf

Go down 
+38
Slicer51
gunship
Yeoyc
TourSwing
samT
duffader
alvin7379
sandkie
zixter
Bangla123
golfjoy
scotty
Tituman
tronos
lennard.low
mengteck71
golfernatic
Begbie
golfool2009
rlhk
blee67
p3nboy
uncleP
HyBriD
Kengnam
joshyo
benhogan
TDO
bogeyman72
mloy
mojojojo
Technospaz
Lee36328
eiji
efoong
dmateo
YC
kevlee69
42 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kevlee69
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kevlee69

Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf Empty
PostSubject: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:04 am

Was at Toa Payoh range the other day and was doing my own thing when a whole group of about 5-6 people came to the bays behind me. They were obviously all new to golf and were nice folks trying to do their own practice except for one loud-mouth guy in his 50s who was walking around and talking like a hotshot. He was going from bay to bay teaching the group and was focusing most of his time on one young teenage girl. From the rubbish that he was telling them, you know he is a joker. And true enough, when he tried to demo, I was watching with great anticipation.

First shot- duff and ball went 10m- his excuse "grip slippery"
Second shot- slice and ball went 30 m but way right
Third shot- duff again

And guess what ? He actually told the girl "see this is how you must hit !" And he continued to walk around like a hotshot and going to every bay teaching the others how to duff and shank balls. Why do idiots like this guy exist ? For our entertainment ?
Back to top Go down
YC
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:07 am

They exist to remind us to be humble. Smile
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:07 am

exactly.. for our amusement.
you should video tape it and then play it when you are feeling down or bored.

As the canadian said : Just for laugh.. Smile

cheers,
Back to top Go down
efoong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
efoong

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:23 am

New method in this century is stomp it
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:26 am

I am a lousy player, i try to teach my "friends"(pple like mloy, mloy and mloy) to play golf, in hope that i can screw up her swing and have an edge when playing with her the coming game. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:26 am

That's a great story.

Life is often like that.

Witness some political leaders, religious leaders, etc.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:30 am

Teach by example, not by mouth.
Back to top Go down
mojojojo
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
mojojojo

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:35 am

Saw this a few times in range. Just take it that you are watching cartoon. Smile
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:39 am

eiji wrote:
I am a lousy player, i try to teach my "friends"(pple like mloy, mloy and mloy) to play golf, in hope that i can screw up her swing and have an edge when playing with her the coming game. Twisted Evil

Oi...... no wonder I play so lousy now. All your fault!!!!

With regards to that guy, he is just trying to show off and those beginners seems to be too polite to tell him off. Lucky him!
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:42 am

Technospaz wrote:

DITTO!!

Cool
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:57 am

I think we are all guilty in one way or another and have in our golfing life tried to teach our friends by giving tips how to do this how to do that. I am one of them but have stop many moons ago as we may not be imparting the right things. The only thing that I impart nowadays to my new golfing colleagues are course etiquettes.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 12:10 pm

The only thing I tell my flightmates these days are:

1. Calm down. Don't get mad cause you'll lose focus.
2. Please remind me of rule #1.
Back to top Go down
benhogan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 12:15 pm

I coined the term 'PC Pro' many years ago.
Told many off and some even almost ended in fights.
And yes many in the forum before this one were against my comments Rolling Eyes
I have mellowed.
Cheers for fears.
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 12:45 pm

haha. I would never endeavour to teach a completely new friend how to hit the ball unless its just an intro to get them interested and my HC is pretty decent.
Back to top Go down
Kengnam
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kengnam

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Depend on what kind of golfer we met.For me,I'm lucky to meet a golfer who had golfing for twenty over years.I still remember eight mth ago at bishan range,I hitting at the mat and not those balls like a joker and I think of giving up.A uncle at next bay come to me and gave me some tips and on that day we become frd.Eight mth later i got my best score 97 with this uncle and his frds and on sport he gave me some course management at Batam Palm Spring. for a beginner like me is not how talent i'm,is the person who teach.This uncle who went to states learning golf from pro when he was young and i still learning for him now.Thank to Edward.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 1:35 pm

I too had some similar incidents here in our country.

I guess we can't escape "Lousy Meddler"

Sometimes it affects me too. Becoz they give you pointers and creates "eeriie / odd" feeling.

I saw a senior player who also did that to the people near his area. And all the players were hitting lousy shot. The lousy advice really affected and was contagious.

Good thing my Golf Pro was there to shield me from his "unsolicited advice/"

Quite strange on why some people like to meddle on other people. tsk tsk tsk.

Yah Qwan Keh Puh
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 2:16 pm

kevlee69 wrote:
Was at Toa Payoh range the other day and was doing my own thing when a whole group of about 5-6 people came to the bays behind me. They were obviously all new to golf and were nice folks trying to do their own practice except for one loud-mouth guy in his 50s who was walking around and talking like a hotshot. He was going from bay to bay teaching the group and was focusing most of his time on one young teenage girl. From the rubbish that he was telling them, you know he is a joker. And true enough, when he tried to demo, I was watching with great anticipation.

Third shot- duff again

And guess what ? He actually told the girl "see this is how you must hit !" And he continued to walk around like a hotshot and going to every bay teaching the others how to duff and shank balls. Why do idiots like this guy exist ? For our entertainment ?

Hit some good shots in front of them and they will not listen to him. why you bother? god sent him to show you to be humble....
Back to top Go down
p3nboy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
p3nboy

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 2:22 pm

we call them PP.

P for pro...

PP for problematic pro.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Technospaz wrote:

I only tell somebody to take deep breaths and open his legs wide..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rlhk
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Technospaz wrote:

eh? i thought Winston girls are doing it by the mouth? no? What a Face
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 3:05 pm

That's amateurs giving unsolicited advice.

How about paid professionals teaching wrong 'knowledge'?

I was at a hitting bay and there was this confident, loud expat coach from a local golf school coaching some young students, so I couldn't help overhearing every thing he said.

And he was teaching them, "The swing path determines where your ball goes initially, and the club face determines where the ball curves at the end."

I thought to myself, "Uh oh, old ball flight laws."

He had them hit shots one by one and call out where the path was pointing and where the club face was pointing based on the shape of the shots. The aim was so that they can diagnose and fix their swing in the middle of the round based on the shape of the shot. Unfortunately, using wrong laws meant the diagnosis was doomed from the start. I cringed slightly.

Then, the straw that broke the camel's back, he proudly informed his students, "That's called the ball flight laws."

I silently picked up my jaw from the ground.

I am sure he meant well, to the extent of his knowledge. But he should update his knowledge. Jorgensen published his book in 1994. 17 years on, by now, all coaches should know about the 'new' ball flight laws.

The parents who sent their kids to him, I'm sure, are paying a premium for a foreign coach. They deserve correct teachings at least.
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 3:20 pm

From what I've seen, the better the player, the less they have to say about others' swing..... for me, i tend not to offer tips only because while i can tell what i'm doing wrong.... i just don't know what i'm doing right...there only only 2 points i ever tell my playing partners:
1. slow down your swing (which is incredibly hard to do)
2. speed up play (which would appear to be impossible to do for the flight in front of me or so it appears)
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 3:29 pm

blee2007 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

I only tell somebody to take deep breaths and open his legs wide..... Very Happy

Honestly, I dun fancy another man's leg opened wide coupled with deep heavy breaths..... Its very unsightly...
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Begbie wrote:
blee2007 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Honestly, I dun fancy another man's leg opened wide coupled with deep heavy breaths..... Its very unsightly...

But it works wonders...
Back to top Go down
kevlee69
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kevlee69

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Bro- this guy was talking at the top of his voice- how to not be affected ? But after a while I quite enjoyed him making a fool of himself but I really pitied those fellows that he was trying to teach.

uncleP wrote:
kevlee69 wrote:

Third shot- duff again

Hit some good shots in front of them and they will not listen to him. why you bother? god sent him to show you to be humble....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf   Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Very Lousy Players Who Try To Teach Others Golf
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next