Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is Club Fitting?

Go down 
+94
18underPar
xredevilx
nkglfrs
Gofnut
Kaii
hiryu
skybobo
uluangler
butterfingers
zoticus
matoonia
antegg
replyz00
Shellman
toonified
snagy23
krone
mythr
jtek
enwee
thesportpsychguy
Najibapark
ahquan12
r2d2
jloo61
golfchowmk
Salty
bono
DLWL
Turbo
beehome
gomjgo
4dtoto
shifu17
thane
youming
Desmando R
nyisoe
HyBriD
Newtogolf
TourSwing
Itsuki
dmateo
mengteck71
Derek
abadan
Kyser
pushslice
Khorkar
bkll
Ssquirrel
Duval_S
Lee36328
piero
heartlander
Master
G_Man
samT
chinchiachun
duffader
Slicer51
Gray
Denmeister
edric
golf_snowman
eiji
haragolfer
slinger
kian
shamusan
Holeinone
Yarra
asahi
jimmychoo
iron eagle
watermyforrest
watchman88sg
jeffman88
power72
ydk
S70B
ghoonk
pug
bskt
botak
qtd
siaw8
grooveballer
daveaha
Technospaz
mervyntan
mUAr_cHEe
jaketang
DGman
98 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 12:07 pm

chinchiachun wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:
duffader wrote:

Of course lah... cos you will end up get the info and then you do the fitting yourself.... Smile

If i were the boss, i will reply "Shoe makers not welcome!"

No lah, I can only do some changing of grips only. Fitting is a big thing, I am not qualify lah. Neutral

Yah, since my LC bro start to change grip himself his game has reached a new high (high as in 120 like me), so any bros wanna jio my LC bro give him 5 5 please contact his manager (me). And those who want to jio the TSS grandmaster after he got proper fitting with a kajiki pls contact his OKT (duffy).
CCC, the cobra still sticking to the 661 leh. So JC got standard one. Too bad he still considering about my proposal to hold a workshop. What you suggest? We organise a makan session at his place so that we can weave in the workshop? I need to replace the TackiMac on my wedges so dun mind having them as test clubs at the workshop. Hahaha...
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 2:36 pm

samT wrote:
CCC, the cobra still sticking to the 661 leh. So JC got standard one. Too bad he still considering about my proposal to hold a workshop. What you suggest? We organise a makan session at his place so that we can weave in the workshop? I need to replace the TackiMac on my wedges so dun mind having them as test clubs at the workshop. Hahaha...
Sam, mai lah...... I better focus on my game rather than taking hours to change a grip.... it's not fun leh...... No
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 2:57 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
Denmeister wrote:
JC,
If u like good curry fish head, I will bring you to a secret place. I bet u will love it. Bro slicer said that it was damn good.

We can arrange a weekday 36 hole adventure and then dinner. How does that sound?
Bro Denmeister,
Thanks for your invitation but 1) curry is no good for my gastric, 2) I have difficultly playing weekday, 3) I can only play 9 holes, drag another 9 holes
Can we play a game during the weekend at Poresia? cyclops

Hi Jimmy,
1) There is always Cathay Beef Noodles / Tampoi Special Chai Dao Gue / Chakra Northern and Southern Indian Food / Kebun Teh Nasi Beriyani / Holiday Plaza Wanton Mee and the list goes on. Tell me what you like and I can recommend and bring you there. Or if you like big feasts, also can.

2) I usually play my weekend golf at my home club RJCC. I prefer to walk rather than ride. After you mentioned that you suffer on the 2nd 9, I guess walking is not your cup of tea then.

3) The reason why I suggest playing on a weekday is because I can then bring you around after our game. On weekends, it would only be golf and then back to being a good father and good husband. That 's no way to treat my new found friends and leave them to fend for themselves!!!

So... if we are to play a weekend morning game in Poresia, hope you can understand that I won't be able to join you for post game activities. I try not to play afternoon weekend games too much.

But... in future, if you are able to play weekdays... I will be all yours for the whole day... You want what I give you what.... How does that sound?
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:02 pm

Denmeister wrote:
... But... in future, if you are able to play weekdays... I will be all yours for the whole day... You want what I give you what.... How does that sound?

Better add a disclaimer here to my "you want what" statement: Must not be something that is against my will... you know what I mean la... particularly the itchy BACKSIDE kinda thing...
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:13 pm

Denmeister wrote:
Denmeister wrote:
... But... in future, if you are able to play weekdays... I will be all yours for the whole day... You want what I give you what.... How does that sound?

Better add a disclaimer here to my "you want what" statement: Must not be something that is against my will... you know what I mean la... particularly the itchy BACKSIDE kinda thing...

Walau..... that one is my LC Bro favorite, CCC, where are you? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:18 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
Denmeister wrote:
Denmeister wrote:

Walau..... that one is my LC Bro favorite, CCC, where are you? Laughing

I have an ointment for this symptom. Come to JB and I get "someone" to apply it on CCC.

BTW... are we kinda hijacking this thread?
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Yeah, we are...... Embarassed

So how's your club fitting session go?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:49 pm

i was wondering who is OT-ing on my thread....

if not for the Kueh Mang Keh, you would have been banned shoomaker..
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:55 pm

DGman wrote:
i was wondering who is OT-ing on my thread....

if not for the Kueh Mang Keh, you would have been banned shoomaker..

Heng ah.... I will not be banned because I am potentially spending some $$$ at BFG soon...
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:59 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
samT wrote:
Sam, mai lah...... I better focus on my game rather than taking hours to change a grip.... it's not fun leh...... No
No lah JC. I mean you teach, I do the work. That's why it is called a work-shop - got to work one. Wink
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:00 pm

jimmychoo wrote:

It's happening on the 24th, this coming thursday. So tell me, Jimmy, ahem.... What ARE the benefits of Club Fitting?

Will it make me win a lot of money?
Will it turn me into a certain kind of pre-historic animal that has survived evolution and is still having the same genes as it original had?
Will my nose become longer?
Will I develop scales?
Will I learn a new skill which consists of biting something and then rolling over continuously at breakneck speeds to try to disembowel it?

Tell me of your experience please!
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:19 pm

Denmeister wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:

It's happening on the 24th, this coming thursday. So tell me, Jimmy, ahem.... What ARE the benefits of Club Fitting?

Will it turn me into a certain kind of pre-historic animal that has survived evolution and is still having the same genes as it original had?
Will I develop scales?
Will I learn a new skill which consists of biting something and then rolling over continuously at breakneck speeds to try to disembowel it?

Yes Jimmy, whats the benefit... oops... the answer is the lead post on this thread...

But yes, your nose will become longer and your other appendages may strink...
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:22 pm

G_Man wrote:
Denmeister wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:

Will I develop scales?

Yes Jimmy, whats the benefit... oops... the answer is the lead post on this thread...

But yes, your nose will become longer and your other appendages may strink...

As long as I can play golf, I am happy. Shrinking scores is very much desired. Is that what "appendages" mean?
Back to top Go down
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Master

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Denmeister wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:

Will I develop scales?

Hi bro,

I'd like to congratulate you on being able to secure a club-fitting session on 24th...

There are so many numerous benefits of club fitting, but ask not what the clubfitter can do for you, but what you can do for the clubfitter.

For the clubfitting experience to have the ultimate effect of fulfilling all that you ask for, you have to bring along certain stuff.

In this case, please remember to bring the offerings of
1 X pigs head
1 X steamed chicken (head must be intact)
1 X pack of cigarettes (must be menthol lights)
2 X yellow candles
1kg X roast pork (must be crispy but not charred)
1 X packet of dogs teeth (can be bought from chinese pharmacies)
5 X bottles of stout (ABC or guiness will do)
8 X red packets

affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:27 pm

The day will start with you getting Naked. As we all know, the clothes make the person..

Skill tadah, style adah...

Depending on your gender. this will be a very fleeting step in the entire process...

Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Hahaha... Sibei jialat... Smile
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Hahaha....... as usual...... Laughing
Back to top Go down
heartlander
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 2:53 am

Sorry if my following question below offends anyone, but after reading through, just tak-boleh tahan, got to ask, as I am contemplating whether to custom-fit, or to buy off-the-shelf for my next set of clubs. BTW, just started golf about 9 months back, but as I get to play more and becoming a little more consistent, my clubs feel heavy and stiff, and that something may not be right.

here's the question;

From the various postings, it seems to point towards custom-fit being the best way out, since the clubs are tailored to one's characteristics, so if that's the case, wouldn't the majority go for custom-fit clubs, esp the seasoned players ? But on the contrary, it seems that off-the-shelf clubs are as hotly pursued.

Is there a reason which I might not have understood as a newbie ? Very tempted to custom-fit to get something that's tailored for me, in the hope that I would enjoy the game in the long run. Are the reasons many seniors here choose off-the-shelf clubs due to price, not-so-well-known-brand of custom clubs, etc ?

Really hope to get some enlightenment here, before I go out and buy some clubs which I feel that they don't suit me after a few months.

Pai-seh for my long posting here Smile
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:03 am

Heartlander, welcome to GR.

We can relate custom fitted club to tailor made pants and off-the-shelf club to department store pants. Which one will fit you better? Which one is cheaper?
The answer will be "It Depend" right?
If the price is the same, which will you go for? The "well fitted" or the "Branded"?
drunken
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:11 am

heheh... nice analogy JC... For me, when you get custom fitted, it reduces the thought that its the equipment that causes the hooks or the fades. So it all comes down to an area to be work on, which is the SWING. Smile
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:51 am

its very simple,

the better you are at golf, the more you need customised solutions.

lets say a customised club will optimise your game by 20%, you can imagine what 20% will do for a single handicapper's game.

i recently had a scot who came in for a putting fitting. for more than 30 years, he was using a 35 inch putter. He plays to a 4 handicap. looking at his setup and his speed of putting away, i suggested using a much shorter putter will a different lie angle. equally important, i suggested some drills and set up routine for him to help him get into the zone and stay in the zone. he is at liberty to change the routine to suit his personality. the total cost after an hour was a hefty S$35. for extracting the grip, shortening the putter, adding 20g of hot melt in the shaft balanced at 2/3 of the shaft to maintain the swing weight of the putter and for loft and lie adjustment.

he came back this week with his friend who changed the shaft on his 5 wood. He tells me that he used to be 50% confident standing over the 3 to 8 foot putt zone but now he is 80% sure that his putt will drop.

to me this is a quality case that you do not have to buy a new club to get desired result. it also support my personal philosophy that better players need club fitting more than beginners.

DGman

PS...the customer was referred to me by Brad of Heartland Golf at JCC.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
heartlander
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 2:53 pm

Jc

But custom fit may not necessarily be more expensive right, esp when u compare with some of the branded clubs?

Maybe to make it a little clearer, dgman, i m not exactly referring to buying branded clubs, then get the shafts changed, heads bent, etc., but more of customising from scratch using the house brands.

jimmychoo wrote:
Heartlander, welcome to GR.

We can relate custom fitted club to tailor made pants and off-the-shelf club to department store pants. Which one will fit you better? Which one is cheaper?
The answer will be "It Depend" right?
If the price is the same, which will you go for? The "well fitted" or the "Branded"?
drunken
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 7:05 pm

heartlander wrote:
Jc

But custom fit may not necessarily be more expensive right, esp when u compare with some of the branded clubs?

HL,

Depend on what kind of component you go for..... and depend on which brand you are comparing.
You can always tell the club fitter how much you wish to spend and I think he shall be able to work it out for you. Anyway, just go for the fitting, if it work out to be too expensive, just pay the fitting cost lor. Don't ask me how much, you can check with the few club fitters here.....
Back to top Go down
heartlander
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks bor.

I think I might have my understanding on club-fitting wrong...so club fitting can also be done on the off-the-shelf OR branded clubs, not necessarily in-house clubs, e.g. Ikasu that I saw on BFG site ?
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 5:25 am

Hello People,
Just wanted to share with you about what happened during my fitting session with DGman at Big Fish Bukit Merah on the 24th. 

I was asked to hit iron shots and driver shots so that my swing can be analyzed. 

Result: the swing is still out-in dominant. 

Why? DGman observed that I have three main issues that is causing this out-in path. 
1) overactive legs and hips during the backswing
2) too much swing thoughts
3) irons that do not match my build

Remedies recommended by DGman:
1) overactive legs and hips during the backswing
Concentrate on keeping the front hip quiet during the backswing to create more resistance and to reduce lower body movements. 

By doing this, my shoulders turned back with a lot more resistance and when I was ready for the downswing, I created a lot of torque just by turning my front hip back. This move actually improved my balance and also reduced the out-in swing a little. I believe that if I groove this, together with being more patient and wait for the hips to initiate the downswing, I can eliminate the out-in path. 

2) too much swing thoughts
Ever wondered why our practice swing can never be repeated during our actual swing? A lot of us just freeze over the ball and start to think too much before starting the actual swing. "turn the hips...elbow into the slot...keep your head down...I wonder if that pretty lady is looking at me now...I better not screw this up..."etc...etc. 

DGman's advice: stand 10' away from ball, establish my grip, walk to the ball, address the ball with feet closed, open up the stance with front leg first and then the right leg. Immediately when the right leg is placed in position, I start my backswing. Totally no time to let thoughts linger into the mind. He terms it,"No Think Golf"

Two tries later, I was flushing the irons with hits on the sweet spot one after another!

After getting the hang of it, he taught me another trick. After setting up correctly, I am to hover the clubhead one or two inch above the ground, close my eyes and FEEL for a comfortable and relaxed stance. Once I found it, I place the club down, open my eyes and immediately begin the swing. 

The purpose of this other drill is to enhance the notion that golf is best played without thinking too much. By closing my eyes and LETTING my body tell me what's comfortable, I was able to establish a solid setup to hit a free flowing and powerful shot.   Oftentimes we do the exact opposite and consciously maneuver our body into positions we THINK would help us hit the ball better. But the truth is, our body knows what's comfortable. Let it TELL us how we should be standing. 

DGman,
The first drill has become my routine for the past two games. I did not get a chance to visit the driving range so I decided to adopt it immediately. After I tee up the ball, I will step back, make one practice swing, re-establish my grip, walk up to address the ball to the target line with my feet closed together, open up my feet, swing immediately when the right feet touches the ground. 

The eyes closed drill is something I feel I should be practicing at the driving range to establish a comfortable setup. It can take a little bit more time to go through this drill, that's why I did not use it on the course. 

I know that I have definitely reduced my routine time by at least half but with improved results. My shots are actually hitting the intended target more consistently now. 

Thanks!  By the way, what was the term that you wanted me to search for in the forum? More read up on "No Think Golf"

3) irons that do not match my build
DGman comments,"I will not be doing anything for your driver, you are not ready yet. Work with your pro on the swing first."

Hai... Want to spend money also cannot... What kind of a person turns away a ready customer like that? 

Bro Slicer,
I know exactly how you feel now when DGman don't want your business!!!

DGman...R.E.S.P.E.C.T!!!

"However...your irons need to be looked at..." DGman continued. 

I am 6'2" tall.

My current irons do not suit me. In fact, all off the shelf clubs will not suit me because of my build.  After sizing me up,  measuring my wrist to ground length, and establishing the surface contact points of my irons, DGman said that I need an extra inch and a loft of 1 degree more upright. My irons are also too light for me. The shafts needs to be 110g and should be an S flex, as compared to my current R-flex 95g NS Pros. 

How now? This is where the "bad news" came. I actually love my current r7 TP irons as the soft and buttery feel of it when I hit it sweet is like ice cream melting in my mouth. Shaft can change, but head cannot be bent as it is cast iron. 

After a brief moment to absorb the fact that I will have to say bye bye to my butters, I got excited again! The cobra S3 forged irons looked mesmerizing through the net! Good excuse to get them! Mouth watering already. In the end, we settled on a used set of cobra cb pros, 4-pw iron heads, matched with KBS S-flex 110g steel shafts and golf pride tour velvet mid size grips. 

"I will have them ready by tomorrow." 

Another letdown... I was full of excitement that I was prepared to wait until the evening to take my set home with me. Besides, BFG has just too many toys lying around, waiting for me and my two other friends to hit them on the trackman. We could just spend our time swinging all day, trying to increase our swing speed, improving our smash factor etc. 

I guess good things have to wait as I did not want him to rush the job too. But since I was there with my friends, we just spent time trying different clubs. We also got to know a cool guy, Ren. He was swinging his cally 8.5 legacy driver and trackman was showing impressive distances. He offered to let me try it. I gladly took up the offer and proceeded to pound a few shots. Numbers do not lie. He hits it a lot longer than me. Ren was very helpful and is familiar with the shafts offered in the shop. He started to install different driver shaft setup for me and my friends to hit. Now we finally understand how wonderful a properly fitted driver can be. After-market shafts feel so firm and confident upon impact as compared to the stock shafts that are bundled with the drivers. There are so many to choose from and that's where the trackman is so vital. All the guesswork is eliminated as the numbers just shows up after every hit. We were having a whale of a time testing out the shafts and seeing how certain shafts increased our swing speeds, reduced our spin rates, affects our ball flights. Ren was extremely helpful and explained to us what the numbers meant and what are optimal numbers we should try to achieve by selecting the desired shaft. 

If you want more info, make an appointment with BFG to experience it for yourself. Please make sure you allocate a full day there... It may actually not be enough. That place is a golfaholic's heaven. 

We were enjoying ourselves sooooo much that we totally lost track of time. And then came the next surprise, i was informed that my irons will be ready by that day. DGman has a team of passionate and dedicated individuals whom I believe share his passion of giving the very best to any golfers who come their way.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Ivan and Benedict (hope that's your name tattooed on your left arm) for working hard on my set and getting them ready on the same day! I buy you guys some JB special when I go there again ok? 

Where was I.... Oh yes, got my irons, when the grips finally dried after half an hour, we fired it up in front of the trackman. After some fine tuning by DG, I was hitting my 6iron with a smash factor of 1.5! According to the distance chart, the average PGA 6i smash factor was 1.38 I guess I can review my golfing goals then! Tim Finchem, you better watch your back!

Distance: 170m

Another satisfied customer!!! Sorry... Let me rephrase... Another ECSTATIC customer!!!

Sorry it took a while to enter this post but just to let u know, this took me several hours spanned across 3 days to complete. It is time well spent as I must let everyone know how enjoyable, informative, and exciting the whole clubfitting experience was with DGman and his team at BFG!!!

Ah...there.... I better learn to smoke because I sure could use one now...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is Club Fitting?
Page 4 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next