Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is Club Fitting?

Go down 
+94
18underPar
xredevilx
nkglfrs
Gofnut
Kaii
hiryu
skybobo
uluangler
butterfingers
zoticus
matoonia
antegg
replyz00
Shellman
toonified
snagy23
krone
mythr
jtek
enwee
thesportpsychguy
Najibapark
ahquan12
r2d2
jloo61
golfchowmk
Salty
bono
DLWL
Turbo
beehome
gomjgo
4dtoto
shifu17
thane
youming
Desmando R
nyisoe
HyBriD
Newtogolf
TourSwing
Itsuki
dmateo
mengteck71
Derek
abadan
Kyser
pushslice
Khorkar
bkll
Ssquirrel
Duval_S
Lee36328
piero
heartlander
Master
G_Man
samT
chinchiachun
duffader
Slicer51
Gray
Denmeister
edric
golf_snowman
eiji
haragolfer
slinger
kian
shamusan
Holeinone
Yarra
asahi
jimmychoo
iron eagle
watermyforrest
watchman88sg
jeffman88
power72
ydk
S70B
ghoonk
pug
bskt
botak
qtd
siaw8
grooveballer
daveaha
Technospaz
mervyntan
mUAr_cHEe
jaketang
DGman
98 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
grooveballer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
grooveballer

What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 8:21 am

Great to hear of your experience at the den! That is a wonderful 'trap' for golfers.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 9:38 am

Wah, u post at 530am in the morning......

Must have just reach home from work......

cheers
Back to top Go down
piero
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:13 am

Wow... good write up by Denmeister.

Can share how it has improved your scores on your greens with these improvements?

I always feel better with new clubs but result hardly show except for my putting which has been brought down to 2 or 1 putts after landing on the greens.

Trying to find a good reason to go down for an analysis.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Denis it was fun having you guys at the Den last week. it was a blast fitting you and your friends too.

i love money but until your weakest part of the game is strengthen, its no point fitting the driver. but when we do fit the driver, i hope to see you take more money from the guys who treat you like an ATM...haha

Finally Denis...as you can see this forum is pretty useful to find golf kakis and for singapore golfers playing in JB, its great to know the local snake head too. Hopefully we can play some rounds together soon but for sure you can take part in the GR medals.

Hope to see you soon and thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

DGman

PS Ren is a very accomplished golfer and comes to the Den once in a few months so you are fortunate to meet him. he has been SICC champion on many occasions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Finally...   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Dennis,

Welcome to the world of custom fitting.

Now that your driver swing is also much improved, go back and get a shaft before the price goes up further. It is pricey, but money well-spent considering how often u play and the stakes you play at.

Now, if you had done this earlier, imagine the bets you would have won/avoided losing.

The investment pays for itself very quickly, doesn't it?

Next time we play, I look forward to measuring your driving distance.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Denmeister wrote:

Hai... Want to spend money also cannot... What kind of a person turns away a ready customer like that? 

Bro Slicer,
I know exactly how you feel now when DGman don't want your business!!!

DGman...R.E.S.P.E.C.T!!!

My dear friend Dennis,

It is really great to hear that you have benefit so much for just one visit to the den (BF). I am sure it is worth the time & money all the way from JB, bro. I am guess you wish that you had did it earlier when I mention Eric to you sometime back.

When DGman agreed to change my driver shaft last month in the den. I am not sure whether he means that my swing is more mutual now or he hate to see me cry since he already rejected me one year ago Smile .. He know what he is doing as my distance did improve after the changed.

With your talent ? in no time, all your golf budies will be asking for strokes and about time to get back those investment + interest from them. Best to your golf games. Bro.

Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 7:19 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
Dennis,

Now that your driver swing is also much improved, go back and get a shaft before the price goes up further. It is pricey, but money well-spent considering how often u play and the stakes you play at.

Now, if you had done this earlier, imagine the bets you would have won/avoided losing.

cheers

Hi Lee,

1st post ? nice to see you here bro. I hope you do post more over here. With all those contribution that you have given in forum (you know where). It will be great to see your posts here too.

I hear you are driving far too ? We would like see after Dennis fit his shaft Very Happy .. Don't worry, if we do play next time.. I will carry my GPS and rangefinder to measure both of your driving distance affraid
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 7:21 pm

seems like Dennis 's kaki...all macam Div A players
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Duval_S wrote:
seems like Dennis 's kaki...all macam Div A players

macam only... Cannot play never mind, must have the style.

Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 8:04 pm

slinger wrote:
Wah, u post at 530am in the morning......

Must have just reach home from work......

cheers

No la, woke up to pee....

I also have a morning tee off at 7am. Johorians play more than work.... envious leh.....
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 8:39 pm

piero wrote:
Wow... good write up by Denmeister.

Can share how it has improved your scores on your greens with these improvements?

I always feel better with new clubs but result hardly show except for my putting which has been brought down to 2 or 1 putts after landing on the greens.

Trying to find a good reason to go down for an analysis.

Hi piero,
As previously mentioned by DGman, there are two groups of people who will benefit from custom fitting.
Group 1: Golfers with consistent swings.
Group 2: Above and below average build golfers. I fit into this category.

In my earlier post, I mentioned that DGman did not want to fit my driver as my swing needs improving. But because of my build, my irons must be custom fitted so that I can swing without any impediments.

The visit to the Den yielded a lot of benefits, which will result in lower scores VERY VERY SOON. I am very confident that it will happen because of the positive changes to my swing from DGman's swing tips. I am driving the ball at least 20 yards further since my Den visit. I played 18 holes yesterday and today and reached the green in two on a 504yard par 5 on both days! Happy to say... both resulted in birdies.... These birdies were not the result of custom fitted irons, but a result of a change in my swing which is directly attributed to DGman's tips.

So Piero, it is actually not all about just fitting clubs to your game. If you have a sound and consistent swing, fitted clubs will lower your scores faster. But if your swing has issues, it is best that you go to the Den to have it analyzed by DGman first. He may then recommend swing tips and/or custom fitting. Go there with an open mind. You may be able to lower your scores without any custom fitting.

Hope that provided you with the answer that you are looking for.

DGman,

I feel that I am swinging my driver with a lot more confidence now which is also making it faster. Just wanna seek your opinion: I remembered you saying that driver and iron swing speeds should not be the same. Should the tempo for iron shots be toned down as compared to the driver?

If so, I may be swinging too fast for my irons which explains why I am not swinging them as well as I want to.
Back to top Go down
piero
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks bro for the very detailed reply.

Actually my irons, hybrids, wedges and putting all quite ok.

Problem is my drivers these days. Used to be the least problematic when I started golf. Now became my biggest problem.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 9:04 pm

DGman wrote:
Denis it was fun having you guys at the Den last week. it was a blast fitting you and your friends too.

i love money but until your weakest part of the game is strengthen, its no point fitting the driver. but when we do fit the driver, i hope to see you take more money from the guys who treat you like an ATM...haha

Finally Denis...as you can see this forum is pretty useful to find golf kakis and for singapore golfers playing in JB, its great to know the local snake head too. Hopefully we can play some rounds together soon but for sure you can take part in the GR medals.

Hope to see you soon and thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

DGman

PS Ren is a very accomplished golfer and comes to the Den once in a few months so you are fortunate to meet him. he has been SICC champion on many occasions.

Hi DGman,
Today was my best driving day since I started playing golf 4 years ago! Your tips helped. 14 drives and 13 were on fairway with distances ranging from 250 to 290 yards! Most importantly, most of them went to where I aimed them. Silent hips is the way to go!

Was still the ATM today but the damage was only RM30.00. But it's ok. The loans that I have given out will be repaid very soon. I will be turning into a debt collector very soon.

And yes, it will be great to play with the GR gang. I will be keeping tabs of the games being arranged through the forum. As for playing in SG, I would definitely love to try out the courses there. The only one that I played at was MBGC. I understand that it costs a lot to play in SG right?

I have registered to play the Apr 17 game in Ponderosa. Will you be playing?

As for Ren, I knew he was an accomplished golfer when he shared that he has played golf for over 30years. (He is only 35, right?) His swing is very solid and powerful. Wow!!! SICC club champion! I wonder if he will want to withdraw some money from a Malaysian ATM...

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 9:05 pm

Dun worry... 2 years plus ago, I was told the same thing too but I got my links to get fitted for a set of irons. Since then, my golf have been improving and the best thing is you will also get tips every now and then.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
Denmeister wrote:

Hai... Want to spend money also cannot... What kind of a person turns away a ready customer like that? 

Bro Slicer,
I know exactly how you feel now when DGman don't want your business!!!

DGman...R.E.S.P.E.C.T!!!

My dear friend Dennis,

It is really great to hear that you have benefit so much for just one visit to the den (BF). I am sure it is worth the time & money all the way from JB, bro. I am guess you wish that you had did it earlier when I mention Eric to you sometime back.

When DGman agreed to change my driver shaft last month in the den. I am not sure whether he means that my swing is more mutual now or he hate to see me cry since he already rejected me one year ago Smile .. He know what he is doing as my distance did improve after the changed.

With your talent ? in no time, all your golf budies will be asking for strokes and about time to get back those investment + interest from them. Best to your golf games. Bro.

Cheers Jump

Thanks Steve,
I am in no hurry to re-shaft my driver. Let me ingrain my new swing first and also work on getting used to the new irons before I tweak my driver. Who knows, DGman may still see some issues in my swing and give me tips to add another 30 yards!!! If that were to happen, who needs aftermarket shafts???? Oops...DGman, pretend I did not say that. Very Happy Very Happy

It is also great to hear that your refitted driver has added distance to your drives. Looking forward to playing with you again. Come to think about it, a Surabaya golfing adventure sounds rather tempting.

Bro Lee, are you ready?

Anyone else want to join?

Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 9:16 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
Dennis,

cheers

Hi Lee,

1st post ? nice to see you here bro. I hope you do post more over here. With all those contribution that you have given in forum (you know where). It will be great to see your posts here too.

I hear you are driving far too ? We would like see after Dennis fit his shaft Very Happy .. Don't worry, if we do play next time.. I will carry my GPS and rangefinder to measure both of your driving distance affraid

Hi Bro Lee,
The hole is not won just by driving far high, you know? I have just proven it today. Still lost RM30.00 even though I outdrove 3 of my golf kakis this morning. As mentioned in my previous post, Let me sharpen my irons so that I can take advantage of them in lowering my scores further before I see DGman again for my driver.

Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 pm

Denmeister wrote:

Hi Bro Lee,
The hole is not won just by driving far high, you know? I have just proven it today. Still lost RM30.00 even though I outdrove 3 of my golf kakis this morning. As mentioned in my previous post, Let me sharpen my irons so that I can take advantage of them in lowering my scores further before I see DGman again for my driver.

1. You are driving better than ever.
2. You have just been fitted with a new set of irons that fit your height and swing

Ergo, you should be hitting more GIRs than ever. If most par 4 approaches are now 8i - PW, it should be a no-brainer. The rest is down to putting, which you're pretty good at.

If not, adjust either the swing weight of the irons or the driver. Your club fitter should know what to do.

Finally, either the hands control the pivot, or the pivot controls the hands. With pivot-controlled hands, swing weight is crucial. With a hand-controlled pivot, swing weight will matter less.

Sounds like you have pivot-controlled hands. And you probably could use more lag in your irons.

Looking forward to our next round bro. Cool
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Lee36328 wrote:

Finally, either the hands control the pivot, or the pivot controls the hands. With pivot-controlled hands, swing weight is crucial. With a hand-controlled pivot, swing weight will matter less.

Sounds like you have pivot-controlled hands. And you probably could use more lag in your irons.

Wah..sounds like you are a TGM/Manzella kind of guy? albino
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bkll

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:14 pm

Dennis,

After reading about your post on 'no think golf' routine this morning, I implemented in my game today and found a new level of consistency in ball striking. It is my best round in the last 2 years.

Now, I need to try to see if it also work for my putting routine.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:18 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:

Very technical..... Err... can help to translate in English?
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:31 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:

I'm from the school of whatever-it-takes-to-get-the-damn-ball-airborne. Lack of athletic talent on my part necessitates compensation via physics, mechanics and geometry.

Actually, I just study what Sean Foley says, and repeat them. Laughing

Wait till we go on to the topic of myelin and mirror neurons, or how our brain does Fourier transform. study scratch
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 12:25 am

Khorkar wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:

Very technical..... Err... can help to translate in English?

It's quite straightforward.

When different clubs feel differently (because of different swing weights), your body is directing the hands in the swing - pivot-controlled hands.

When you can swing and hit with any club, regardless of swing weight, your hands are directing your body in the swing - hand-controlled pivot.

DenMeister is hitting the driver better than irons, and is asking whether he should swing slower with his irons - a clear sign of pivot-controlled hands.

For players with pivot-controlled hands, swing weight-matching the entire set is important. To be more precise, MOI-matching should be done, but it is a tedious process. Swing weight-matching is a lot simpler if less precise.

Hope that helps.

Cheers. Smile
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 6:43 am

bkll wrote:
Dennis,

After reading about your post on 'no think golf' routine this morning, I implemented in my game today and found a new level of consistency in ball striking. It is my best round in the last 2 years.

Now, I need to try to see if it also work for my putting routine.

Hi bkll,
Glad to hear that you played your best ever today. I believe more will come once you get even more comfortable with "no think"

We have to thank DGman for this tip.

Since both of us are using this, I just want to share my latest observation about "no think." I don't know if this has crept in during your game yet. There were occasions during my game where after my right feet has been planted, it took me one to two seconds before I started my backswing. As mentioned before, I am supposed to start my backswing immediately after the right leg is set. That pause that I sometimes experience may later become longer and longer. This may allow thoughts to creep back in again. I definitely will make sure that I correct this the next time I play.

Just wanted to share this with my fellow "no think" golfer.

BTW, it also works with the putting routine. Do your normal green reading and make your decisions on path and speed. Just make sure that all this thinking is done before you walk up to the ball. Again, once the right feet is planted, GO!
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 9:51 am

wah a lot of posting has been uploaded since i last checked this thread.

Just to clarify what Dennis underwent.

his pre-shot routine for irons was not existent. like most golfers he stands over the ball and think of all kinds of swing technique which added pressure to the takeaway but does nothing for his release.

What i did was introduce very simple swing thoughts which helped him focus on himself and his setup. Instinctive Golf or in this case "No Think" freed him to focus on sending the ball to the target. There is basically no change in his swing except a quieter lower core and he is now more focussed on the release and less about technique.

the right length, weight and flex on his new irons does help you set up more natural to his height and swing path. More importantly he takes the bobbing which is the result of a shorter iron out of the equation.

I believe Denis dedication to the game is immense and in 1 to 2 years, he could be playing some serious golf if he finds the right direction to work his game to.

His spontaneous character is evident in his post and he will find great results when he plays with the best and starts to beat them. confidence is the key in this game.

for putting, the thoughts are different and as they say, once you start you cannot stop. i envisage that we will see more of you at the Den....haha

i spoke to Duffader's brother who had a 6 or 7 year headstart in golf. used to give DF 7-7. now they play level and he is losing more than he wins now. that was not too long ago. so it shows that if one is dedicated and see to improve because he takes the time to learn, practise and compete regularly, he don't have to keep buying equipment to get ahead.

Different people response to different keys to learning. but in my opinion the guys who came up with this method needs special mention. i learn this from a gentleman name Paul Eales who is a European Tour Winner. However it is a method to help you free yourself irrespective of whatever golf swing you have. the fundamentals of having a good swing still holds the key in your ball striking. Instinctive golf in my opinion helps you find it more often and with more consistency.

have a good golfing week ahead.

DGman

Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:07 am

DGman...I oso must put credit to you. I have put in a pre-shot routine since our game at laguna. I was doing it on the range, the guy behind me asked what i was doing. I explained and he followed kekeke...It helps a lot with my aiming. Now i know if a missed shot were due to aiming or swing gone awry. Thank you!

PS: still....is 5-5 a fair stroking between Duffy and moi? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is Club Fitting?
Page 5 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next