Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is Club Fitting?

Go down 
+94
18underPar
xredevilx
nkglfrs
Gofnut
Kaii
hiryu
skybobo
uluangler
butterfingers
zoticus
matoonia
antegg
replyz00
Shellman
toonified
snagy23
krone
mythr
jtek
enwee
thesportpsychguy
Najibapark
ahquan12
r2d2
jloo61
golfchowmk
Salty
bono
DLWL
Turbo
beehome
gomjgo
4dtoto
shifu17
thane
youming
Desmando R
nyisoe
HyBriD
Newtogolf
TourSwing
Itsuki
dmateo
mengteck71
Derek
abadan
Kyser
pushslice
Khorkar
bkll
Ssquirrel
Duval_S
Lee36328
piero
heartlander
Master
G_Man
samT
chinchiachun
duffader
Slicer51
Gray
Denmeister
edric
golf_snowman
eiji
haragolfer
slinger
kian
shamusan
Holeinone
Yarra
asahi
jimmychoo
iron eagle
watermyforrest
watchman88sg
jeffman88
power72
ydk
S70B
ghoonk
pug
bskt
botak
qtd
siaw8
grooveballer
daveaha
Technospaz
mervyntan
mUAr_cHEe
jaketang
DGman
98 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
krone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 11:22 am

haragolfer wrote:

Hey bro,

Just make an appointment and visit eric, than you will know what is good for you.
He can lend you a test club so u can visit range or green to test them out.
Honestly, i am very happy with what i have, as i have been changing equipment now and then to get the right fit.
for the bfg irons, it is for me one of the best investment.
I was hitting alot of shots to the right and thought that it was the lie angle problem.
So eric promptly told me was my foot alignment which was wrong, once that is corrected i am hitting straight shots.
other time i visited him for putting problem, he look at it and say it is my putting swing which was the problem.
I thought of buying the zen putter off maybe can solve my problem, eric refuse to sell it, tell me to go putt properly, and its not the puttter's problem.
one of the most honest and frank guy who push away businesses.
Cheers!
oops, sorry to get carried away with a long reply! ahahaha

Plus one[/quote]

thanks for the pointers bro.

will make an appointment soon to see u bro DGman... THANKS!!!!
Back to top Go down
toonified
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Visited Eric with Dad for his fitting. At the same time since I'm there just take a look at my own irons even though fitting/changing of shafts was never in my mind (as I thought I wasn't good enough for fitting)

Ended up took 1 swing and Eric said my irons are too heavy for me (nspro95), even though I hear from every where and every one "young man use steel shaft!"

After loaning a club to test the SF shaft over the weekend, I'm sold...

Eric, I will be visiting you soon!

Thanks for the time at the Den!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 9:59 pm

Welcome to the dark side.
Back to top Go down
Shellman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Newbie question: I'm thinking of changing a new set of iron (either JPX 825 or JPX825 Pro). Am still trying to go below 100 though
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 10:56 pm

Shellman wrote:
Newbie question: I'm thinking of changing a new set of iron (either JPX 825 or JPX825 Pro). Am still trying to go below 100 though
Ask you another qns? why u wanna change?
Back to top Go down
Shellman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 10:59 pm

enwee wrote:
Shellman wrote:
Currently using Tourstage x-blade. Why wanna change? Hmmm... I like the feel of a forge set. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Shellman wrote:
enwee wrote:
Shellman wrote:
Currently using Tourstage x-blade. Why wanna change? Hmmm... I like the feel of a forge set. Embarassed
If you are playing with a set of blades, the JPX is definitely more forgiving but the feed back is not as good. But if you think that by changing you'll break 100, sorry to say that it's not a miracle set of clubs.
Back to top Go down
Shellman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 11:07 pm

Understood. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 10:47 am

like i always say, most people remember the one good shot and forget about the other nine. feel is not performance and performance is not feel. in golf, some like to take advantage of friendlier equipment and some like to torture themselves. its their choice, not ours.

however, golf equipment can be a very visual bias choice. and it takes time for someone to transit between a thin top line to something quite the opposite.

the funniest scenario i had recently was a golfer who came in and told us his problem. his 7 iron was too long..180 meters. so in half disbelief, we put him on the launch monitor. he has a very smooth swing tempo and yes, his swing is very optimised and his 7 iron distance is indeed 180 meters. not help by the fact that the TM irons he is using is actually half inch longer and the same loft as a 6 iron.

we made some changes to the shafts and length after weighting all the heads and now he is delighted to find the tight dispersion with a reduced 7 iron length of 165 meters. the guy is in his fifties and he is a very competent golfer.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 11:22 am

http://www.golfwrx.com/141839/looks-or-numbers-what-makes-a-better-golf-swing/
Back to top Go down
replyz00
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi DGman, I am a beginner and would like to know more about club fitting and generally golf itself. May I know if there is a chance of me meeting you for some guidance? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 7:17 pm

replyz00 wrote:
Hi DGman, I am a beginner and would like to know more about club fitting and generally golf itself. May I know if there is a chance of me meeting you for some guidance? Thanks!

Hi welcome to discovery and all it takes is for you to book a session with us and no promise that you will be fitted with anything but i am sure you will learn a few things about the golf swing and hopefully if will be your journey to "Better Golf" as well.

Book Swing Analysis

looking forward to your visit......DGman
Back to top Go down
replyz00
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply.. May I know what are the charges?
Back to top Go down
replyz00
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply.. May I know what are the charges?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 10:09 am

Hi replyz00, there is no charge if you are a GR member.

however with planned changes to our swing analysis process in the 2nd quarter of 2014, the process and time taken to conduct a swing analysis session will be altered. Hence there might be charges pertaining to fitting in the future, but not now.

Looking forward to seeing you....DGman
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 10:27 am

Cannot wait to see the new fitting setup.

Any teaser ad on the new setup?
Back to top Go down
antegg
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
antegg

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Just made a booking at Friday afternoon for swing analysis and club fitting. Hope the slot I booked is still available (1600). Many thanks in advance DGman Smile
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 3:41 pm

antegg wrote:
Just made a booking at Friday afternoon for swing analysis and club fitting. Hope the slot I booked is still available (1600). Many thanks in advance DGman Smile

Hi antegg, how did your fitting go?
Back to top Go down
zoticus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 12:30 am

Hi DGman, it was enlightening to read thru your post and it really posion me to do some club fitting on my clubs so that i can enjoy the game better. However i had just bought a preown x2 hot which i am not sure whether it can be custom in anyway or not. Secondly, should i hit the range a few times more to get myself familiar with the club before i come down over? I had just taken up golf last year, for your kind advice, thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
butterfingers
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
butterfingers

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 11:27 am

gday GRians

I like to share an observation and opinion totally of mine own on club fittings.
They may not be the norm or market practice but it certainly happened to me recently so the feelings expressed here are entirely of mine own.

You see i have been playing this love-hated game for many years and had never believed in getting myself fitted. All along scoring in the high 100s or mid 110s with the occasional high 90s. And that I was happy I played well, you know.
But all these changed recently when I went and, for the 1st time ever, took the plunge, got fitted out for a brand new set of irons! Was so afraid to even let my Home Minister know about...she would probably run me out of the house. Very Happy 

From there my game changed from 100s to mid 90s consistently, with a odd high high 80s. And I was so elated with the change and could not wait to get out on the greens more. Sometimes a little white lie to my Home Ministry was needed, you guys know what I mean Smile  Smile just to play.
But then there was something else that was bothering me all this while and that was I were still taking divot after divots.

Sorry for the intro but is necessary so you would see why I feel disappointed and felt to share what had happened to me so some of us will not be caught in my situation again. 

Anyway, I did not return to the person whom had me fitted out in the 1st place for a review of my club performance. My fault and I apologies to this fitter. My apologies.
Instead, I went to a fitter which is nearer to my place, got friendly with the fitter there and told him my situation. He made some comments and corrected my LIE angle. 
Viola cheers !!! The last 2 games I played with the new lie angle I wasn't taking divots anymore! Or rather so fewer and less chunky ones! Shots were cleaner and ball flight so much more true.

I was beginning to enjoy this game even more now and understands why the different charges between different fitters.  Ultimately, it is the end results that speaks for itself and the satisfaction of playing a good round of golf.

On the whole, I would still encourage anyone who is unsure of the benefits of club fitting, go get yourself tested out, be fitted you will see a difference almost immediately. Different golfers, different strokes. 

My 2cents worth of sharing. 
I hope this has not ruin your day.
Bro, your coffee on me next game but you still have to pay me my taxi fare Smile  Smile 

Cheers and carry on enjoying this game.

Last edited by butterfingers on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
toonified
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 11:56 am

Hi Butterfingers, although sad to hear what you went through, very happy to hear how it worked out eventually.

Myself have been a victim of 'professional' fitters who thinks they are a coach, have very different attitude based on who are customers, some who are just there to rip people off or even selling fake items and act blur.

Sad to say there is no proper standard of fitting in Singapore and beginners have to go 1 big round to find out which fitter works for them.

Its a tough lesson considering the money involved, and honestly not very beginner friendly. 

All I can say is talk to those who u really know personally and ask for recommendations, not listen hearsay from people you don't know.

Like you said, cheers and carry on enjoying the game! 8 )Cool
Back to top Go down
uluangler
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 1:15 pm

I've been playing golf for a few years(less than 5 rounds a year) but only recently (Dec 2013) caught the golf bug and started to practice and play more often. Went out and bought a set of irons from golf house, bought a new driver and used my old hybrids and 3 wood. Started taking lessons as well.
After going to the range for a month, taken 2 lessons and going online to read up on golf equipment etc.
Decided to book an appointment with a fitter and go for a club fitting.

Went down to the fitter, took a couple of swings with a 7 iron and the fitter said that my swing was inconsistent and fitting was redundant for me. Disappointing to say the least. Here i was, all eager to get the right equipment and start practicing to get better, leaving the place without any new toy.
On hindsight, granted my swing is inconsistent, but the clubs i had at that time were unsuitable for me, i said i wanted a lower ball flight and less deflection. I had wanted to purchase suitable equipment and groove my swing concurrently but guess the fitter was not interested in fitting me.
Guess i would not be going back there.

Decided to look for someone else and found Mr Ong at Octane golf. Very friendly uncle, we had a chat and based on the information i gave him, he recommended me a KBS shaft which i then fitted my irons with and am still using them now and liking it.

Went to Titleist fitting for my fairway woods, hybrids and wedges and it was a very professionally run fitting. No rejection, no disappointment, straight forward testing to get the most suitable equipment.

Went to another clubfitter for a driver fitting, realised that my SLDR's swing weight was too heavy and low launching. He pointed out my swing faults and based on the swing data, he recommended a JDM driver + shaft and set the clubface slightly closed. My drives are now straighter and longer and i'm loving the driver.

Long winded post but just explaining my unpleasant and pleasant experiences from various clubfitters.
From a consumer point of view, it is very disappointing to be rejected and to meet a fitter who chooses to fit based on a skill level instead of what to fit based on swingspeed and requirement.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 1:40 pm

butterfingers wrote:
And I also have to thanks my fitter neighbour for sharing with me on the costings otherwise I am still in the dark. At least am now a little wiser.
Bro, your coffee on me next game but you still have to pay me my taxi fare Smile  Smile 

Cheers and carry on enjoying this game.

sorry, something I dun understand.
You mean you have a neighbour who is a club fitter?
If so, why dun u go to him for fitting?
Frankly, if pay double the price can buy a good game, I dun mind paying ah Smile
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 1:43 pm

uluangler wrote:
I've been playing golf for a few years(less than 5 rounds a year) but only recently (Dec 2013) caught the golf bug and started to practice and play more often. Went out and bought a set of irons from golf house, bought a new driver and used my old hybrids and 3 wood. Started taking lessons as well.
After going to the range for a month, taken 2 lessons and going online to read up on golf equipment etc.
Decided to book an appointment with a fitter and go for a club fitting.

Went down to the fitter, took a couple of swings with a 7 iron and the fitter said that my swing was inconsistent and fitting was redundant for me. Disappointing to say the least. Here i was, all eager to get the right equipment and start practicing to get better, leaving the place without any new toy.
On hindsight, granted my swing is inconsistent, but the clubs i had at that time were unsuitable for me, i said i wanted a lower ball flight and less deflection. I had wanted to purchase suitable equipment and groove my swing concurrently but guess the fitter was not interested in fitting me.
Guess i would not be going back there.

Decided to look for someone else and found Mr Ong at Octane golf. Very friendly uncle, we had a chat and based on the information i gave him, he recommended me a KBS shaft which i then fitted my irons with and am still using them now and liking it.

Went to Titleist fitting for my fairway woods, hybrids and wedges and it was a very professionally run fitting. No rejection, no disappointment, straight forward testing to get the most suitable equipment.

Went to another clubfitter for a driver fitting, realised that my SLDR's swing weight was too heavy and low launching. He pointed out my swing faults and based on the swing data, he recommended a JDM driver + shaft and set the clubface slightly closed. My drives are now straighter and longer and i'm loving the driver.

Long winded post but just explaining my unpleasant and pleasant experiences from various clubfitters.
From a consumer point of view, it is very disappointing to be rejected and to meet a fitter who chooses to fit based on a skill level instead of what to fit based on swingspeed and requirement.

If I am a club fitter, if someone comes to me and hit 10 shots, 3 on the left, 3 on the right, 3 dead centre and 1 airball......I also dunno how to fit
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Bro uluangler, I believe the club fitter who rejected you maybe less commercial driven but more professionally and emotionally driven ... He takes pride in his work and reputation. He feared that one day if you failed to achieve something which you set up for after fitting the irons for you, you might blame his fitting knowledge and skill ... From that perspective, he may have your and his interest at heart ... That's primarily the bottom-line ...    Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is Club Fitting?   What is Club Fitting? - Page 11 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is Club Fitting?
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next