Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w

Go down 
+21
Birdman
willytan
Quest
poresia
peace2903
volts
flashpacker
stickman
crayon33
fata
ocp23
hkhamateur
asahi
Turbo
Tyc_mambo
kenneth18
haragolfer
golfsiao
babolat
aquaman
BryanSiow
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BryanSiow
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w Empty
PostSubject: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2014 11:24 pm

Dear GRians,
What do you think about carrying diff brand/model 3w and 5w?
Back to top Go down
aquaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aquaman

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2014 11:26 pm

Bryan, 
No issue as it works for you, you like the look of the club at address and the shafts suits your swing. Enjoy the game. Smile
Back to top Go down
babolat
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
babolat

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2014 11:28 pm

Nothing wrong... You play whatever you are most comfortable with
Back to top Go down
golfsiao
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2014 11:38 pm

I believe is absolutely OK as long as they work for u...
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2014 11:51 pm

No point. Wats the distance gap? AT. That distance gap for amateurs non scratch players. Usually gap less than 20m and cannot attack pin or hit with any consistency. Better get just one 5 wood or 4 wood. less clubs to practise , less screw up.
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kenneth18

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2014 12:29 am

I do carry 3W and 5W in my bag as not everyday my 3W will perform wonders and especially on a super off day when my driver and 3W fails me.
Back to top Go down
Tyc_mambo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2014 1:20 am

haragolfer wrote:
No point. Wats the distance gap? AT. That distance gap for amateurs non scratch players. Usually gap less than 20m and cannot attack pin or hit with any consistency. Better get just one 5 wood or 4 wood. less clubs to practise , less screw up.
I agree with you. Pick the one that gives u the most confidence, most of the time a #4/5. Thumbs up.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2014 2:24 am

For me, I need a 3W as well as a 5W ... This is because I may tee off with a 3W for tight FW as my 3W distance is a little closer to my driver distance and hence, it serves as a reasonable alternative if the situation calls for it ... My 3W distance is longer than my 5W ... But the 5W gives me higher trajectory and may have a chance of getting a soft landing at the green ... I use 5W for my second shot (for Par 4 or 5 hole) if my balls landed on the first cut rough (or light rough) ...
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2014 2:39 am

No harm carrying a 3W and 5W...different brands or not.

Just make sure you got your distance gaps covered.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2014 7:50 am

asahi wrote:
No harm carrying a 3W and 5W...different brands or not.

Just make sure you got your distance gaps covered.

Exactly. Very Happy
Oso be sure tat these FWs in yr bag hve the right loft gapping. ie: 3W 15deg 5W 19deg. Smile
Likewise its the same goes w yr hybrids. You can hve diff pcs in diff brands but be sure the correct loft gap. Cool
Enjoyed yr game, mate. Wink
Back to top Go down
BryanSiow
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2014 8:31 am

Tks for all the inputs bros.
I am considering 5wood precisely because my 3wood good as driver alternative and more forgiving fairway attack but not a high and soft landing club (for most hits anyway).
Back to top Go down
ocp23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2014 8:12 pm

I carry only 5 Wood and 2 Utility for higher percentage play. I find 3 Wood harder to play consistently.
Back to top Go down
fata
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
fata

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 3:41 am

I carry a Burner Superfast 3W and a Cleveland 5W and both work well.  Smile
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 6:11 am

Whatever works.

Tom lehman, Open Champion even played a bag full of irons of different models one time.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/528599-tom-lehmans-heinz-57-variety-set-of-irons/
Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 10:02 am

I carry a 3 wood but it is only for T shots as I still cannot really hit it from the deck.

The 3 wood is to replace my driver off the T if the distance is within my 3 w range.

e.g. The distance is 310meters.

If I use a driver: I hit it good, well great!. But if i hit it bad because the shaft is longer, I am in deep shit and my second shot will be harder to deal with.

If I use a 3 w: I hit it bad, but because the shaft is shorter than a driver, the error will be less. Thus the second shot will be a little easier than a bad driver shot. If I hit it well, well my second shot will be a breeze.

Basically, I am planning for my next shot instead of looking at my 1st shot. I don't know if anyone is using this approach but this approach gives me a better chance.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 1:15 pm

I use a 3W and a 2H.
Junked the 5W as I won't be able to use it to rescue a ball caught in the rough
Back to top Go down
volts
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 2:08 pm

it's perfectly fine. clubs are there to cover a certain distance. as long as the 3W and 5W covers the distance they are supposed to, it doesn't matter what brand they are.
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 3:15 pm

3W & 5W are too long for my bag! Razz
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 5:17 pm

I carry both 3 n 5 wood.

I usually use 5 wood on fairway n 3 wood for tee off.

find it easier to launch the ball on fairway using 5 wood although if the ball sits floating on fairway, on flat ground, distance that may require 3 wood and manageable hazards on green, I may still use 3 wood.
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 9:32 pm

I'm a sticker for looks, so have to be the same make and model or else, I just feel uncomfortable with it.  But I've to confess that I've never carried 2 FW in my bag, just a 3FW & 2 hybrids, driver & FW both white heads and hybrids same make/model.  

Started with a 3FW, went to a 4FW and now back to a 3FW.  Saw no need for 5wd, rarely courageous enough to chiong for the green, preferring to lay up.  If chiong, will only do so if range is within my 3h range.

Last edited by Quest on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 9:50 pm

poresia wrote:
I carry both 3 n 5 wood.

I usually use 5 wood on fairway n 3 wood for tee off.

find it easier to launch the ball on fairway using 5 wood although if the ball sits floating on fairway, on flat ground, distance that may require 3 wood and manageable hazards on green, I may still use 3 wood.

Totally on the same line as bro Poresia.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 2:16 am

Quest wrote:
I'm a sticker for looks, so have to be the same make and model or else, I just feel uncomfortable with it.

Apart from the looks, I find using the same make and model from club to club is just easier and takes away the hassle of figuring out the distance gaps. There's also more consistency with launch characteristics and feel so I can expect similar results with the swing I have for any given day.  
Swing
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 2:45 am

My bag only has one 4wood, choking down 3/4 shot or full shot varies from 190m~220m comes in handy when i need to hit a low shot 190m instead of a full shot with my 3iron or bomb it in 2 into par5 5s.
Back to top Go down
toonified
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 7:00 am

Birdman wrote:
Quest wrote:
I'm a sticker for looks, so have to be the same make and model or else, I just feel uncomfortable with it.

Apart from the looks, I find using the same make and model from club to club is just easier and takes away the hassle of figuring out the distance gaps. There's also more consistency with launch characteristics and feel so I can expect similar results with the swing I have for any given day.  
Swing

I second this regarding same/different brand/model!

I carry both 3w and 5w. 3w for those bad driving days and 5w mainly off the fairway.

Also, if distance wise I am able to reach the green on 3w I would try it, if out of reach even for 3w, I'd just stick to 5w. 

Difference is on approach shot, just 1-2 clubs up, while much higher chance to get the woods shot off.
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 10:25 am

For me, 3W off the tee and 5W mainly for the fairway. I cant really hit 3W off the fairway, very inconsistent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w   Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats ur thots on carrying different 3w and 5w
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next