Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!

Go down 
+27
artchang00
pug
Gymrat76
beehome
kamen
Daztasiumz
angyongshen
Tigercrab
Ant
niwde82
TDO
yaozza07
haragolfer
olivewine
flashpacker
bomby
Duval_S
chien
danielleecm
enwee
iron eagle
hkhamateur
hurray
dtan
willytan
Nam Flog
kim001
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
kim001
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! Empty
PostSubject: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 7:53 pm

This noon, while we were just finished our putting on the 15th hole at Seletar Country Club, a golf ball from the flight behind landed on the green. I was still on the green and was very shocked to see the golf ball rolled pass me.

We proceeded to next hole. The flight behind did not even bother to come forward to explain to us about why they hit their ball while we were still on the green. After reporting to the marshal, he brought the golfer to see us & he then apologised to us. He explained that he could not see us on the green (!!!) and he did in fact shout "ball". But we are sure we did not hear any shouting claimed by him.

We suspected it could be that the person was a newbie and did not know the rules. But we later realised that the flight was playing blue tee.

Subsequently the marshal asked if we would like to take further action. We thought we would just let it passed. We certainly do not wish to waste our valuable time on this type of golfer.

It is safer to put on helmet for future games.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 8:08 pm

Thank god you are not hurt.

If the guy did it intentionally, don't worry bro…..he cannot escape Golf Karma…...
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 8:27 pm

It also happen to me earlier at MBGC while we leaving the green, the ball fell few meters behind us. But at least the flight came and apologize a few holes later.
Back to top Go down
dtan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
dtan

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 9:17 pm

I believe that the hard and dry ground during this dry spell does make the ball run much more further. I have the same experience last month when i was just trying to lay up my ball from the fairway bunker with a 8 iron but it ran all the way 160+m on to the green when the front flight is still putting. I immediately went up to apologize n told them that my intention is just to lay up totally un-intentional.
Back to top Go down
http://davidtnm@yahoo.com
hurray
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 9:23 pm

If he can't see u guys on e green and he t off, y would he shout ball? If he don't see anybody means the ball won't hit anyone, no need to shout ball.
Back to top Go down
kim001
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 9:55 pm

Hurray,  you got the point.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 9:56 pm

dtan wrote:
I believe that the hard and dry ground during this dry spell does make the ball run much more further. I have the same experience last month when i was just trying to lay up my ball from the fairway bunker with a 8 iron but it ran all the way 160+m on to the green when the front flight is still putting. I immediately went up to apologize n told them that my intention is just to lay up totally un-intentional.

Wow... cyclops
8i 160m! pale
Pls give geniune strokes to me on our next game hor! Laughing
Usually u can drive yr buggy near to the green say b4 100m to hve a better view then go back to yr ball when u see the frt flight leaving the green. Cool
Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 pm

Last week at Poresia ~ hole #3 Par 5, second shot I would normally used 7 iron to lay before the drain,
due to dry spell and hard ground I used 9 iron, hit the ball roll into the muddy drain!

Ground was really hard! no grass difficult to divert the shot!
Back to top Go down
dtan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
dtan

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 12:11 am

Hong Bro.....where got chance to give stoke to you.....I heard there many people after your "blood" leh....you are so "HOT" now..... Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://davidtnm@yahoo.com
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 12:20 am

dtan wrote:
Hong Bro.....where got chance to give stoke to you.....I heard there many people after your "blood" leh....you are so "HOT" now..... Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Not only that, I just heard soon 3 flights of players wanna saddam him. He's red hot now.
Back to top Go down
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 9:08 am

enwee wrote:
dtan wrote:
Not only that, I just heard soon 3 flights of players wanna saddam him. He's red hot now.

hmm bro enwee, not 3 flights but at least 5 flights of people waiting to saddam him....i even heard of one golf buddy cant wait to skin him alive... affraid
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 9:16 am

hurray wrote:
If he can't see u guys on e green and he t off, y would he shout ball? If he don't see anybody means the ball won't hit anyone, no need to shout ball.

hurray.. I totally disagree and I think it's golfers who thinks like that who are making golf such a dangerous game..

No matter where you are before the green, you would always check the distance in order to choose the club and decide how to play your shot. And even if you are 200m away, you would make the conscious effort to decide whether to go for the green or not.  And in this case as Kim as described, the ball landed on the green, which means that the golfer chose to attack the pin.

If any golfer decides to go for the green then He MUST check the green first to ensure nobody is still there!!  Because if he had exercised due diligence in driving up to take a look, he would have seen Kim or other golfers, which would not make sense why he hit the ball before they are gone.

I am a very strong advocate of safe play on the course.  I have personally witnessed my buddy getting hit by the ball (and the A** didn't even shouted) and I have heard of how a kid lost one eye after being hit by the ball.

If you wanna assume on the course, you would be making an Ass U Me.

Just check, it doesn't take much time..
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 9:35 am

likely they interpret ' playing Ready Golf' differently

In this aspect, I am lucky that I m unlikely to be the culprit.....coz...too short
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 9:38 am

I m w Chien on this. Very Happy 
Often remind flight mates to wait alittle while when frt flight re still visible & shout fr Fore if his ball flight pattern goes left or right. Wink 
It takes this little effort to make the golf course save place to enjoy our weekly game(s) right. sunny 
But somehow there re many bad one!  Sad
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 9:58 am

I personally will take full action on that flight. This is dangerous play, and there is no reason for it especially when the shot is on green. But if it is a tee off 350++m par 4 and he one on.. can reason a bit.

Did no see ppl on the green is not an excuse. And given that he made that comment, it shows that he is attacking the pin.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 10:02 am

It's all about etiquette
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 10:07 am

hurray wrote:

I disagree.. on playing any shot one must ensure that the front flight has cleared.. if in doubt.. ensure and not assume. 

Did not see ppl.. let just tee off is just wrong. Come on.. whether in front have a flight or not.. the behind flight will know. Not like we can cut in.
Back to top Go down
olivewine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
olivewine

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 10:08 am

Heard too many horror stories of injuries from getting hit from a golf ball to make me always be on the safer side. Will as much as possible remain visible to my flight behind. That sometime made me park my buggy in a position visible to the behind flight even if it mean I got to walk a distance to my ball that is blind to the flight behind...

But for this case, no reason not to check the green is clear before attacking!
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 10:16 am

etiquette is when we stay quiet during a flightmates swing. checking for safety and shouting fore is  not about courtesy I feel.  having being hit by golf balls myself on the ankle and hands. and hitting others before with a sliced shot, safety cannot be taken lightly.
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 10:33 am

I made a mistake once in Poreasia, par 5, second shot more than 250+ according to my rangefinder. Hit my 5w to layup but by fluke the ball landed 2m from the cup with the earlier flight still putting. Suspect my rangefinder measurement was wrong or by some weird tigerline i took. Anyway, the front flight was nice enough to mark my ball, finished their hole and placed my ball back! (they were Japanese expats)

I then ran up to them and sincerely apologized and explained what happened, but not sure they fully understood as their English was basic. At the clubhouse, I offered to buy them a round of beer but they declined.

Nowadays, I ALWAYS wait until front flights are more than 2 strokes ahead or consult with my flightmates first.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 10:57 am

For those attacking the pin, you have to be patient and sensible to wait for the front group to clear the green before hitting the ambitious shot. Sometimes you might be "not careful" and get it on the green or worse, hit somebody while he's still there. It's like do you know when you will strike TOTO or BIG SWEEP.
Back to top Go down
niwde82
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 11:00 am

What can we do about this kind of golfer?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 11:05 am

As golfers such thing occasionally happened. If it happened, just go ahead and apologized and move on with it. What irritate me is some golfers just hit it just because in front is a bit slow, such golfers don't deserve to be on the course. Mad 
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 11:07 am

once at the short par 4 sembawang course. a tourist friend playing there first time teed off after all of us landed short of green. he hit the drive of his life. and carried the ball over the heads of the people putting on the green. 

gosh we didnt even believe it till the guys in front stopped putting and started hollering at us.  it was nt pleasant being torn apart by them but we did not argue and took the scolding with a lot of bowing and apologies.   

my friend later said it the the ball had hit them, surely someone would have died, and it wasn't funny. the guys were still upset after the game, and we apologise some more.  its not worth it even if we can brag about driving the green. luckily it wasnt a tragedy in the end
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 11:27 am

That what happened in Kranji NSRCC last year. Ball landed near green. Argument ensued. If a little courtesy was shown plus humbility... golf could have been a better enjoyable game for both 2 flight then. It ended in a fight using iron clubs. Police car came right up to the fairway and all were escort out of club. Heard it was a police case due assault with a dangerous weapon.   Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad .... one of the golfers got wack on the head... and you thought it only happen on road rage...... now can be on golf course also if one is not careful... getting the club marshal help resolve the issue is one good way to avoid confronation... golf is no longer a gentlemen game.. so be safe...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!   Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf ball from behind flight landed on the green while we're still there!
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next