Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Driver problem. HELP.....

Go down 
+25
Birdman
GolfMad62
TDO
DLWL
willytan
essentiale
edtv75
jhan18
skybobo
zhenxua
jason.koh.54966
Khorkar
pushslice
slinger
Duval_S
Derek
nutty88
iron eagle
rt
Turbo
chien
KCL
Technospaz
ahhhling
mariateo
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ahhhling
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:53 pm

rt wrote:
sista, played with you a couple of times liao, yr game quite solid.
yr tee off always on fairway and from red tee box, 180m is very far lor as compare to blue lor. pls give chance leh!
Haha....I think we are the one who need help now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/ahhhling
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Maria,

Yr previous driver, does it have roll as well?
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 2:11 pm

I am having problems with my swing too, be it driver or irons, just killing me, started KPKB abt my equipments but is my swing that's having issue...so for the past days, all I do was just: Place both feet side by side, with ball at centre and start off with pitching swing and slowly progress to other irons, can do this drill for driver too....try it and it help me greatly....when your contact is good and consistence, widen your stance slightly and carry on the drill with a bigger shoulder turn.........
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Turbo wrote:
I assume you are a lady ... Actually a carry distance of 180m is not too bad for a lady. I have seen grown-up man in the range doing that distance only ... Laughing
But it is very odd for a lady not to get roll. Women tend to sweep the club more than men which typically means that they don't get as much height but the ball runs. This also means that they play FWs easier than men. So, to hear that she's getting the ball up in the air and having it drop down without roll is odd.

But I would agree with the others that 160-180m is not bad at all for a lady Smile(Doesn't mean that you shouldn't get this looked at and fixed. You never know - it may soon be 200-220m Smile)
outdriving m88 8482! Shocked
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Maria, markie here. Ur swing is one of the best I have seen from s lady. 180m still not enuff ah? U want to be RCC ladies division champion ah?

Back to your prob, without changing your swing, try to place the ball more towards your front foot. This will encourage a upward hit on the ball.

What is your launch angle? Between 6 to 10 degree?
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 3:52 pm

slinger wrote:
does the ball goes straight???
 Hahahahaha.... This brings up a whole new problem. I'm cock eye. Sometimes I wonder issit my swing or my alignment problem. 

Half the time, my ball still on the fairway.
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 3:54 pm

skybobo wrote:
Maria, markie here. Ur swing is one of the best I have seen from s lady. 180m still not enuff ah? U want to be RCC ladies division champion ah?

Back to your prob, without changing your swing, try to place the ball more towards your front foot. This will encourage a upward hit on the ball.

What is your launch angle? Between 6 to 10 degree?
Thanks Markie! I dun remember tt... I only remember he said abt bringing the neg to positive... Than spin rate will go down.
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Derek wrote:
If the fitter says you are hitting down based on the numbers off his launch monitor, i.e. negative angle of angle, then you are striking the ball as the club is moving downwards, the numbers don't lie.

To hit up on the ball, you have to strike the ball as the club is moving upwards.  Assuming the ground is flat, that is only possible with the ball teed up (otherwise you will hit the ground first).

Everybody, on the down swing to follow through, will first move the club in a downward direction, to the lowest point in the swing, then upwards.

In general, the more you place the ball forward (toward the target), the more likely you will hit the ball as the clubface is moving upwards.  While the traditional view is that the driver is off the left heel, with the size of modern driver heads, there is no harm trying to place it slightly further forward than that (try not to overdo it though, will lead to another set of problems)

Likewise, the more you tilt the shoulders upward (left shoulder higher than right for RH golfers), the more you will encourage hitting "upwards" (note that overdoing this will cause the driver head to duff, i.e. hit the ground before the ball)

Note that both the changes above will affect direction as well as they are basically setup changes.  You may need to adjust club face position at address together with these setup changes (especially if your current grip is toward the strong side).

Have fun experimenting if that is your cup of tea, but bear in mind the most effective method to rectify a swing fault is to see your coach and practice the drills he has given.

@KCL ... OT a bit, I always thought the low point of the swing is below the left armpit (for a RH golfer), not in the center of the body.  But I completely agree that feeling the sternum centered and swinging around a central axis is a great way to develop the feeling of a repeatable swing (actually working on that now)
Woah... U r right. But I'm the lazy kan cheong type. I dun like experiment. Eeeewwwww.... I dun mind practice. But I dun like change. It took so long to learn a new swing... I'm old, I learn slow. Hahahahaha ... Actually I went to fitter cos I tot its better than changing the swing.
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 4:04 pm

rt wrote:
sista, played with you a couple of times liao, yr game quite solid.
yr tee off always on fairway and from red tee box, 180m is very far lor as compare to blue lor. pls give chance leh!
 Sighhhhh... U haven't see how I play now. Think u better gimme 0-1-2 next game
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 4:38 pm

Hello!

May it be iron or wood, there are a few factors that decide the trajectory and distance of a golf shot. They are 
1. Centredness of strike
2. Angle of attack
3. Clubhead speed
4. Club path 
5. Club face angle at impact

Now a golfer would strike the ball his/her potential distance if he/she:
1. Has an efficient swing that produces the golfer's potential clubhead speed 
2. Strike the ball as correctly as possible( on the up and out of the middle of the clubface)
3. Has a driver fitted to the golfers specifications.

Yes we must strike the driver on the up and yes we must be correctly fitted if we want to achieve the distance you desire. But bear in mind there are so many ways to try and hit up. Most of the time golfers are mislead to trying various things to try and cure a fault (ie lack of distance). Since you have a swing coach I should not at all suggest that you try different methods to achieve distance since he should be the one advising you. 

I do however believe you can strike your driver better if you:
1. Get your coach to explain this thing called D-Plane( it will explain everything about the golf shot) and how it affects you. 
2. get fitted for a driver and not fit yourself to it 
3. Understand that there are many cures to fix an effect(result of your shot) but none are useful if you do not understand the causes of that effect. Many have misconceptions of their own causes and therefore it is always best to trust and listen to a pair of qualified eyes.

Good luck!
Cheers
Back to top Go down
edtv75
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Swingbyte 2!!!
Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 7:19 pm

if your coach hasn't taught your D-plane and ball flight laws, he isn't teaching you the basic fundamentals
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 7:27 pm

essentiale wrote:
if your coach hasn't taught your D-plane and ball flight laws, he isn't teaching you the basic fundamentals
 Dun say like that... It's me who doesn't wanna know. He's a good coach.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 7:38 pm

i rather u work on short game than the driver....
Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 7:47 pm

mariateo wrote:
essentiale wrote:
 Dun say like that... It's me who doesn't wanna know. He's a good coach.
 lol!
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 8:08 pm

I usually address my driver about 1" from the ball to "hit up the ball", that's a short term solution. 
I wish I can consistently hit 180m into the fairway, roll or no roll doesn't matter.
Back to top Go down
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DLWL

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 8:28 pm

its sounds as if your driving has no major problems apart from lack of roll? the carry you have seems pretty decent, so not sure why you want to change it.

becareful of what you wish for, coz to achieve hitting up on the ball, your coach will bound to ask you to do minor swing changes here and there.

it might throw your game off for a temporary period of time until you incorporate it into your swing completely.
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 9:05 pm

slinger wrote:
i rather u work on short game than the driver....
Yes. Short game is very important. Trying to cut down my 3-putts pale
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 9:09 pm

DLWL wrote:
its sounds as if your driving has no major problems apart from lack of roll? the carry you have seems pretty decent, so not sure why you want to change it.

becareful of what you wish for, coz to achieve hitting up on the ball, your coach will bound to ask you to do minor swing changes here and there.

it might throw your game off for a temporary period of time until you incorporate it into your swing completely.
Well u r right, but cos it doesn't roll, I jus dun feel right. Besides, I'm always the one who take the second shot first. Suspect I think it's cos my ball doesn't roll... Not only guys got ego ya know Razz
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:01 pm

Maria,

You are trying to chalk post izit....!!!!  You are reputation of one the best in RCC leh...  Where got driver problem!!!
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Maria,

You are trying to chalk post izit....!!!!  You are reputation of one the best in RCC leh...  Where got driver problem!!!
 Evil or Very Mad Dun anyhow say hor
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Maria,

I am afraid I have to agree with this statement. Scarily straight.Shocked 
Back to top Go down
GolfMad62
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
GolfMad62

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 11:03 am

I believe your issue is 2 fold:

1. As you hit down on the ball you are putting back spin on the ball which will stop it dead.

2. You have a poor set up which is forcing you to hit down on the ball

Solution is to get someone to set you up properly and correct your faults immediately. You need to create and upward attack wich will allow the ball to fun out properly.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 12:08 pm

mariateo wrote:

Woah... U r right. But I'm the lazy kan cheong type. I dun like experiment. Eeeewwwww.... I dun mind practice. But I dun like change. It took so long to learn a new swing... I'm old, I learn slow. Hahahahaha ... Actually I went to fitter cos I tot its better than changing the swing.
Whoa... after four pages of swing tips and suggestions, it looks like we're back to square one.

Sorry to point this out Maria, but you can't expect different results without being willing to change. Swingwise, the laws of physics are pretty much cast in stone, unfortunately.

Having said that, there is one other option, that is, to buy some roll with an equipment change at the fitter's.

Easy enough to do, so there's hope... or should I say... there's roll still. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GolfMad62
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
GolfMad62

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:24 pm

The truth is no one on here is qualified to give you advice because no one on here is a certified teaching pro. Go to somewhere like Champions golf course and get someone like their former touring pros ie: Alan Murray, Gary Doolan or Richard Harries to teach you properly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driver problem. HELP.....
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next