Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Driver problem. HELP.....

Go down 
+25
Birdman
GolfMad62
TDO
DLWL
willytan
essentiale
edtv75
jhan18
skybobo
zhenxua
jason.koh.54966
Khorkar
pushslice
slinger
Duval_S
Derek
nutty88
iron eagle
rt
Turbo
chien
KCL
Technospaz
ahhhling
mariateo
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

Driver problem. HELP..... Empty
PostSubject: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:12 am

I'm having problems with my tee off big time. I notice that my ball doesn't roll at all! It lands, hop a couple of times, and just sits there. Nope. The ground is not soft. The ball isn't embedded. I went for an analysis, the fitter says, is my swing problem. I'm hitting down at my ball. I have to hit it up, as in scoop the ball up? I'm confused. Question Any opinions pls....
Back to top Go down
ahhhling
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:16 am

I have the same problem as well which I am trying to solve. Quick fix is to go for lower loft head and a stiff shaft that gives you low trajetory. Longer term solution is to go get a coach to fix your swing. Quick fix solution ultimately will still kill you.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/ahhhling
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:17 am

Curious - what sort of distance do you get? Carry-wise, since you're saying that you get no roll at all.
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:22 am

My coach goona slap my hands... Hahahahaha. He says I have dementia cos he have to teach me the same thing over and over again each time he sees me Sad
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:23 am

Technospaz wrote:
Curious - what sort of distance do you get? Carry-wise, since you're saying that you get no roll at all.
 I carry 160-180m.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:33 am

OK, what are the specs of your driver? Is it too lofted (e.g. 11*+)?

That said, I think you may be scooping the ball more than anything else which results in a high trajectory but limited distance and roll.

I would recommend that you see a coach. Fitters are good but there's only so much they can do with the limited space. A coach can better assess what you're doing and how best to adjust your swing.

Note that I'm not a good golfer and have issues with the driver as well, so please take my comments with a bucket of salt.
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:38 am

Technospaz wrote:
OK, what are the specs of your driver? Is it too lofted (e.g. 11*+)?

That said, I think you may be scooping the ball more than anything else which results in a high trajectory but limited distance and roll.

I would recommend that you see a coach. Fitters are good but there's only so much they can do with the limited space. A coach can better assess what you're doing and how best to adjust your swing.

Note that I'm not a good golfer and have issues with the driver as well, so please take my comments with a bucket of salt.
 I'm using ONOFF men's driver R ... 10.5.... Was ok till this few month. Guess u r right. I should just go back to my coach * sigh*
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:44 am

Please don't sigh!

The best thing you've done is to acknowledge that it's a problem and are willing to go to a coach. Most of us (myself included) live under the illusion that our bad swings are temporary and more a result of a slump than anything else. In reality, the problem could be more severe and our reluctance to see a coach will only exacerbate the problem.

You've taken the right step. Nothing to be upset about there Smile

Last edited by Technospaz on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KCL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
KCL

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:44 am

You are probably addressing your sternum right behind the ball causing you to hit down and pop the ball up. Try keeping your sternum centered in your stance and swing through. The lowest point in your swing is at where your sternum is. Ball is teed up so will be in the path of your swing as the club head catches the ball on a slight upswing. I may be wrong but this works for me.
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:55 am

KCL wrote:
You are probably addressing your sternum right behind the ball causing you to hit down and pop the ball up. Try keeping your sternum centered in your stance and swing through. The lowest point in your swing is at where your sternum is. Ball is teed up so will be in the path of your swing as the club head catches the ball on a slight upswing. I may be wrong but this works for me.
 Thanks Q. I will go range to try later.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:58 am

Can u post a video of your driver swing ? It can be due to many many reasons..
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 11:02 am

Techno: chop chop made appt w my coach... Seems like I still have unused hours. Hahahahaha....
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 11:05 am

chien wrote:
Can u post a video of your driver swing ? It can be due to many many reasons..
 I dun take videos. So have no video to share. Usually I range alone. No one takes for me.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 11:11 am

I assume you are a lady ... Actually a carry distance of 180m is not too bad for a lady. I have seen grown-up man in the range doing that distance only ... Laughing
Back to top Go down
rt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 11:25 am

sista, played with you a couple of times liao, yr game quite solid.
yr tee off always on fairway and from red tee box, 180m is very far lor as compare to blue lor. pls give chance leh!
Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 11:37 am

mariateo wrote:
I'm having problems with my tee off big time. I notice that my ball doesn't roll at all! It lands, hop a couple of times, and just sits there. Nope. The ground is not soft. The ball isn't embedded. I went for an analysis, the fitter says, is my swing problem. I'm hitting down at my ball. I have to hit it up, as in scoop the ball up? I'm confused. Question Any opinions pls....
 Alamak! give me your golf driver problem solved!

Joking only..
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 11:44 am

You are using ONOFF mah, so some times will have ON and OFF days lor. Razz
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 11:46 am

If the fitter says you are hitting down based on the numbers off his launch monitor, i.e. negative angle of angle, then you are striking the ball as the club is moving downwards, the numbers don't lie.

To hit up on the ball, you have to strike the ball as the club is moving upwards.  Assuming the ground is flat, that is only possible with the ball teed up (otherwise you will hit the ground first).

Everybody, on the down swing to follow through, will first move the club in a downward direction, to the lowest point in the swing, then upwards.

In general, the more you place the ball forward (toward the target), the more likely you will hit the ball as the clubface is moving upwards.  While the traditional view is that the driver is off the left heel, with the size of modern driver heads, there is no harm trying to place it slightly further forward than that (try not to overdo it though, will lead to another set of problems)

Likewise, the more you tilt the shoulders upward (left shoulder higher than right for RH golfers), the more you will encourage hitting "upwards" (note that overdoing this will cause the driver head to duff, i.e. hit the ground before the ball)

Note that both the changes above will affect direction as well as they are basically setup changes.  You may need to adjust club face position at address together with these setup changes (especially if your current grip is toward the strong side).

Have fun experimenting if that is your cup of tea, but bear in mind the most effective method to rectify a swing fault is to see your coach and practice the drills he has given.

@KCL ... OT a bit, I always thought the low point of the swing is below the left armpit (for a RH golfer), not in the center of the body.  But I completely agree that feeling the sternum centered and swinging around a central axis is a great way to develop the feeling of a repeatable swing (actually working on that now)
Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 11:48 am

nutty88 wrote:
You are using ONOFF mah, so some times will have ON and OFF days lor. Razz
 Agreed On/Off driver is like good mood "On"!

Not so good mood "OFF" that's why ONOFF
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 11:52 am

Turbo wrote:
I assume you are a lady ... Actually a carry distance of 180m is not too bad for a lady. I have seen grown-up man in the range doing that distance only ... Laughing
But it is very odd for a lady not to get roll. Women tend to sweep the club more than men which typically means that they don't get as much height but the ball runs. This also means that they play FWs easier than men. So, to hear that she's getting the ball up in the air and having it drop down without roll is odd.

But I would agree with the others that 160-180m is not bad at all for a lady Smile (Doesn't mean that you shouldn't get this looked at and fixed. You never know - it may soon be 200-220m Smile )
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 11:57 am

Is 180m carry plus roll acceptable for a proven man with one kid?

Back to TS, I tilt my setup a bit ie right shoulder slightly lower to hit up..... This might help.... But then again I am only doing 180m max
Back to top Go down
KCL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
KCL

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 11:59 am

@Derek, it will be if swinging with left hand only. Both arms are holding the club as a unit.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Duval_S wrote:
... a proven man...
What does this mean?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:42 pm

does the ball goes straight???
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Duval_S wrote:
... a proven man...
What does this mean?
 my guess: he has fathered a kid hence he's proven lor Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driver problem. HELP.....   Driver problem. HELP..... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driver problem. HELP.....
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next