Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?

Go down 
+13
qtd
weesern
Cyp_PGA
Ssquirrel
jon8ball
rocky
mervyntan
Technospaz
solarpop
Birdman
Tituman
nemo
TITW
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TITW
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TITW

Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? Empty
PostSubject: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 10:39 pm

Hi all. Need some feedback from members here.

Can anyone recommend a good and low/mid prized new golf ball with is absolute 'best' (if there's any)? I'm looking for the 'ultimate' ball that is long and, at the same time, is able to response well on the greens. Feel and roll during putts are also important. Tried looking for answers in this forum, but came up with none.

Goto golf shop and with so many brands... jsut don't know what to go for. Have to rely on Golfdisgest Hotlist. Recently, was told that TM Red was cheap and good and so was Tour Special (?)... It's so mind-boggling as well as exasperating to find the right ball (unless one can afford ProV1) that does what is (i) advertised and (ii) suited for the player.

So, can u share your experience with your most favourite low & mid priced golf ball and why? Thanks for all advice!

PS: Pro V1/x dun qualify Smile Too expensive for the pocket!
Back to top Go down
nemo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
nemo

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:03 pm

TITW wrote:
Hi all. Need some feedback from members here.

Can anyone recommend a good and low/mid prized new golf ball with is absolute 'best' (if there's any)? I'm looking for the 'ultimate' ball that is long and, at the same time, is able to response well on the greens. Feel and roll during putts are also important. Tried looking for answers in this forum, but came up with none.

So, can u share your experience with your most favourite low & mid priced golf ball and why? Thanks for all advice!

PS: Pro V1/x dun qualify Smile Too expensive for the pocket!

Bro, try the Callaway Big Bertha.

It respond well on the green with soft enough feel while putting. Plus its retail below $50.

I hope you find your "Ultimate" ball.

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:04 pm

Go for used Pro Vs bro. Buy from Bro Nemo. It is nearly as good as new as claimed by those who bought from him.

Titu
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:21 pm

Titw, no one can really answer ur question with any certainty except for recommending by price alone. As there is club fitting, so there is ball fitting these days.

Pretty hard to give any help without you first describing ur game at the very least. How far you hit the driver, high or low ball flight, fade or slice, state of ur short game?

And all things being equal, there is no really significant long ball as they are all governed by R and A rules as well. The ball that fits you best in terms of ideal launch angle, spin rate, and compression on impact would in all probability be the ball longest for you. Then there is how the ball feels off the driver, irons, and on putts, which is personal.

But having said that, if ur referring to the Golf Digest 2009 ball hot list, it is a reasonably good guide to help you understand and narrow down ur picks. Read the section on how to choose ur ball.

Here's the link in case you missed that section.

http://www.golfdigest.com/equipment/ratings/balls/2009/05/hotlist_findingtherightball
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:27 pm

Tried Srixon AD333 before? Previously i used Titleist NXT.. until i tried the AD and i've stuck with it since. They just seem to work well for me.

Some others i've tried and liked are Bridgestone e6+ and TourB330S, and TM Burner LDP or something like that..
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:36 pm

By the way, the TM Red is a low launch high spin 4 piece ball, so if ur seeking to lower ur ball flight with more spin around the greens, it's one you might consider. Some say it's not as soft as the Pro V1s though.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:38 pm

I use and like the NXT Extreme balls. I think they are considered mid-range. Another option to consider would be the TopFlite Gamers which are below mid-range but perform very well.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:51 pm

Oops, forgot to mention that the e5+ is good mid priced ball. Although it is 2 piece, instead of an ionomer (surlyn) cover, it has the more expensive urethane cover, for more spin, found on the more expensive 3 piece performance balls. Another is the TM Burner TP. Benchmark both against the Titleist NXT Tour.

By the way, TM TP Red and Black balls are designed by the same guy who designed the ProV1s, Dean Snell.

And here's the link to an interview with him, an interesting read that gives insight as well.

http://www.golfwrx.com/2008/04/09/golfwrx-interivew-dean-snell-taylormade-golf/
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:54 pm

agree, e5+ is a good mid priced ball. no-nonsense, does the job ball. but its not a ball that can make u fall in love with it.

tried callaway big bertha before, doesnt hold greens well, but freaking durable. can bounce on buggy track and not be damaged.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:56 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I use and like the NXT Extreme balls. I think they are considered mid-range. Another option to consider would be the TopFlite Gamers which are below mid-range but perform very well.

TS I tried the Gamers out myself when I read the Hot List and saw how much tech was in the ball for that low a price. Good value for money. Just felt a little clicky for me on putting and found it irritating the way the ball shredded on wedge shots and left little bits sticking on tenaciously to the ball. Had to keep pulling them off. Still got some with me from a 30 ball pack I bought at NSRCC for just $12. A real steal!
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:58 pm

mervyntan wrote:
agree, e5+ is a good mid priced ball. no-nonsense, does the job ball. but its not a ball that can make u fall in love with it.

Hello! Ask you play with the ball la... not sleep with it!

ROFL
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:00 am

sorry lah bro, need some psychological help Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TITW
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TITW

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:03 am

Birdman wrote:

Pretty hard to give any help without you first describing ur game at the very least. How far you hit the driver, high or low ball flight, fade or slice, state of ur short game?

Hi Birdman and rest... thanks for all your advice thus far!

Anyway, for me, my preferred ball flight is low-med; ball direction generally straight and driving distance - 200m + . I prefer low spin balls for driving. At the same time, my game requires me to use short irons to go onto the greens, hence spin is important.

Have used Callaway BB ,WB HX Hot, Nike PD Soft, Srixon AD & SF, Bridgestone e6, Tour Special SF, TM Red, Titleist DT Roll, NXT, and of course, ProV1 (All of my current balls.....). Of course, loved the ProV1s but heart-pain if lost. Some of the balls I liked, and some i don't. The ball to which I would gravitate to would be my Nike PDs. Very trustworthy but don't last long. Surprisingly Srixon AD333 doesn't work well for me.. dunno why. Was recently introduced to TM Red... haven't used yet on the course but it feels decent on the greens and lightweight. Read somewhere that they get cut easily.

Too many brands.... very confusing... hence my question. I'm deciding to settle for one/two brands to play with regularly to build confidence and consistency.

Pls do keep all your feedback coming. Thanks to all!

PS - Haven't tried Gamers yet.

Last edited by TITW on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:06 am

mervyntan wrote:
sorry lah bro, need some psychological help Very Happy

No la, ur fine psychologically, it's ur libido that needs fixing. I better hold on to any table with skirting any time ur near man.

affraid
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:18 am

did someone say skirt? albino
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:20 am

Titw, suggest you try mid spin balls in the region of the NXT Tour then, since you want low spin and high spin in one ball at the same time, no such ball exists yet, unless you wait for the TM Penta TP due for realease early next year, a 5 piece ball that's supposed to react appropriately to each different club you use, that's the claim.

You want more durable ball than the TP Red, can try the Srixon Z-STAR, although I have not much issue with the Reds before. Just that the launch is a little low for me.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:22 am

mervyntan wrote:
did someone say skirt? albino

Incorrigible!!!!

ROFL HELP ROFL
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 1:03 am

Wah... jialat.. I better don't say too much coz I play chia-pa-lang balls.

For important games I play new Noodle+.

That's IT!
Back to top Go down
jon8ball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
jon8ball

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 1:32 am

rocky bro,
Where do u get your noodle+ balls? I've been trying to search for shops that sell them but can't find any leh...oh and how much is it?
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 8:06 am

jon8ball: The last time I bought it from Isetan sale. I did see some at Takashimaya some time back. They are getting hard to find though.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 9:59 am

Birdman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

TS I tried the Gamers out myself when I read the Hot List and saw how much tech was in the ball for that low a price. Good value for money. Just felt a little clicky for me on putting and found it irritating the way the ball shredded on wedge shots and left little bits sticking on tenaciously to the ball. Had to keep pulling them off. Still got some with me from a 30 ball pack I bought at NSRCC for just $12. A real steal!

You and your crazy deals! Cut me in on some of these wonders, k? Smile
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 11:17 am

TM Reds, ProV1s, all cut very easily. One wedge shot into the green, and the ball is scuffed.

I play any cheap balls I can rent. My standard not good enough to play premium balls. The only problem with playing chapalang balls is not really knowing how they react around the greens; like how much check or roll you get.

I think for cheap balls, the noodles are pretty decent balls for the money
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 11:19 am

u can check any ball u play lah.. so no difference between u playing chapalang balls or premium balls...
higher handicapper like me have to play those soft balls that we can compress and spin mah...

for u... hard ball soft ball, long ball short ball, all also can compress....
that's why u are SSSSSSSquirrel
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 11:50 am

jon8ball wrote:
rocky bro,
Where do u get your noodle+ balls? I've been trying to search for shops that sell them but can't find any leh...oh and how much is it?

Hi Bro, call me at 90303931. I got a few boxes of brand new Noodles left. Letting go cheap !

Titu
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Taylormade TP red or black -same designer as pro v1

and Srixon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?   Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best low and/or mid priced golf ball to use... Any recommendations?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next