Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf?

Go down 
+3
S70B
sunny
rocky
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf? Empty
PostSubject: What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf?   What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 10:56 pm

What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers we buy off the shelf?

I am refering to brands such as El Diablo, Krank Golf, Geek golf vs Cobra, Titleist and Callaways.

As far as I know, the Cobra LD X was one of the longest drivers. How does that compare to the Geek Golf DCT? Are these LD drivers available here in Singapore? And usually do people play LD drivers on the course?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf?   What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 11:12 pm

Loft? And MOI? You will never need to hook draw around trees or fade balls... Just got to hit it straight and long.

I am sure the pros or wannabe wouldn't want that kind of driver on a course where they need to work on the ball
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf?   What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 11:24 pm

I have hit our forumer 'Ultraman's' Geek Driver. The impact felt quite harsh and not really forgiving. I guess its becos the driver face is quite thick.

That is quite understandable as those LD players crack Driver faces quite often so they cannot be as thin as those for everyday players like us.

Their loft is alot lower too. I'm sure you have seen Jason Zuback's 4.5* Cobra picture.
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf?   What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 12:27 am

hmmm so long drive driver heads are just heads that are more suited to their bigger impact and faster swings? like XXX flex vs R flex shafts lah.. makes sense. good marketing ploy too.. haha
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf?   What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 2:01 am

well i juz witness yest on a former long drive player....

hmmm his drive is the tour Cleve XL 8.5 but with a XXX pro force shaft i think.. and it's 48 inch (conforming by the way)

well, let juz say his drive is in the average of 300 yards n above....

wat a eye opener......
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf?   What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 10:31 am

there is this pro that we sponsor in Chiang Mai who hits an average of 320y. if he needs to, he can hit over 340y.

he is a Maruman sponsored player and use the Pro series 8.5 with an XXS BFG Graman 8 in his driver. in 2 months he usually crack up to 3 heads. we are now in talks with Shorthitter's mate who is the current long drive champion in Thailand. he would like to switch from Crazy Long to BFG Graman.

as for the US long driver pros, they usually use heads like Krank, SMT, Geek and others. they will not use retail heads and shaft cos it will not hold up.

do you know that the best place to test driver heads durability is South Korea. they also have the highest rate of driver face fatigue.

the driving range in S Korea usually charge by hourly rate, so the golfers will hit as many ball in an hour. equipment supplier knows that if their equipment can withstand the abuse in S. Korea, they can hold up anywhere.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf?   What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 1:57 pm

DGMan, can sponsor me? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf?   What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is the difference between Long Drive (LD) Drivers and Drivers bought off the shelf?
Page 1 of 1