Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ball position for 3 wood?

Go down 
+3
watermyforrest
pocketace
rkangrah
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rkangrah
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Ball position for 3 wood? Empty
PostSubject: Ball position for 3 wood?   Ball position for 3 wood? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 12:53 am

When hitting a 3 wood, I have been told two different ways to position the ball. One is to place them inside your left heel just like your driver. The other one is to place the ball one ball forward off center (like hitting a 5 iron). Which one is the correct one?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Ball position for 3 wood?   Ball position for 3 wood? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 2:13 am

Nothing correct or wrong, there are many ways to skin a cat. Try and see what works best for your swing. By right for a 3 wood, it's a sweeping, flatish swing, should not take much of a divot if any at all. So place it forward in your stance and give it a nice smooth swing and catch the ball at the bottom of your swing arc.

If you are struggling with a 3 wood off the deck, try a 4 wood, if not then 5 wood to get the hang of it. Good luck
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Ball position for 3 wood?   Ball position for 3 wood? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 am

At the bottom if your swing arc.
Back to top Go down
sywog
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball position for 3 wood?   Ball position for 3 wood? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 am

i used option 2 - place the ball one ball forward off center (like hitting a 5 iron)
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Ball position for 3 wood?   Ball position for 3 wood? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 11:06 am

watermyforrest wrote:
At the bottom if your swing arc.

I prefer slightly before the bottom of swing arc.

It's a matter of pinch or sweep.

I find pinching the ball off the turf slightly gives me the best trajectory (higher since I launch low), direction (straighter), and a little more distance (ball compression).

Perhaps those who have a high enough trajectory and enough distance prefer to sweep the ball to keep it lower? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Ball position for 3 wood?   Ball position for 3 wood? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 11:41 am

Mr. Birdie, I like to pinch... on and off the course.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Ball position for 3 wood?   Ball position for 3 wood? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 12:00 pm

I agreed with Bro pocketace. There is no right or wrong. I like the ball to be similar to the position of my driver for 3w (inside left heel). I think the important in the swing. I usually hit it nicely when I swing really easy and let the club head do the work. Once I am aggressive, it will be bad bad bad ...

However, I was told that if one having hard time with 3w. Try holding 1" shorter and ball position like 5i (slight toward centre)

I found that it is better to do a full turn or swing when using wood.

You need to try and find your confidence method.. Confidence means allot before hitting fairway wood... Worry that you will top the ball during address, sorry you WILL top the ball.
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball position for 3 wood?   Ball position for 3 wood? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 1:31 pm

rkangrah wrote:

When hitting a 3 wood, I have been told two different ways to position the ball. One is to place them inside your left heel just like your driver. The other one is to place the ball one ball forward off center (like hitting a 5 iron). Which one is the correct one?
Not too sure how to put it to you, but since we are all of different:
- Heights
- Arm length
- Leg length
- Dexterity

I think its difficult to tell u exactly where.

But for me, ball position for my 3W is closer to where I play off my Driver, maybe a weebit more towards the right (right handed golfer here). A sweep catches the ball and sends it out.

Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Ball position for 3 wood?   Ball position for 3 wood? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 1:38 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
Mr. Birdie, I like to pinch... on and off the course.

Ouch! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Ball position for 3 wood?   Ball position for 3 wood? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 1:46 pm

See if this video helps.

Sweep - ball off left heel

Pinch - ball forward of center

Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball position for 3 wood?   Ball position for 3 wood? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 1:54 pm

rkangrah wrote:

Not too sure how to put it to you, but since we are all of different:
- Heights
- Arm length
- Leg length
- Dexterity

I think its difficult to tell u exactly where.

But for me, ball position for my 3W is closer to where I play off my Driver, maybe a weebit more towards the right (right handed golfer here). A sweep catches the ball and sends it out.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ball position for 3 wood?   Ball position for 3 wood? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ball position for 3 wood?
Page 1 of 1