Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ball position

Go down 
+5
dran1xx
eiji
hoelwill
Winston
jumboburger1376
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jumboburger1376
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

ball position Empty
PostSubject: ball position   ball position I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 12:30 am

hi, can anyone enlighten me on the proper ball position at address? Some say keep the same ball position in relation to the left foot and move the right foot to adjust the stance.. so what's the right thing?
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

ball position Empty
PostSubject: Re: ball position   ball position I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 12:43 am

Hope this helps....The ball position is towards the end of the video...

Back to top Go down
hoelwill
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
hoelwill

ball position Empty
PostSubject: Re: ball position   ball position I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 5:46 pm

[img]ball position Stance11[/img]
Back to top Go down
jumboburger1376
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

ball position Empty
PostSubject: Re: ball position   ball position I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 8:21 pm

Thanks guys. I saw pictures similar to the one posted. What confused me was that some people say put the ball in the middle of your stance for the short irons eg. 7-9, but from the pictures, the ball is no way in the middle, even for the wedges. So is it just due to different schools of thought?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

ball position Empty
PostSubject: Re: ball position   ball position I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 9:27 pm

yea different schools of thought.

ball position 400setup03ballpos%20copy
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
dran1xx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dran1xx

ball position Empty
PostSubject: Re: ball position   ball position I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 11:34 pm

Another question related to this, is the left foot - as there seems to be quite a few schools of thought as well.

Does it matter if your left foot is in an open position, as shown by some of the diagrams above?
My understanding is that the right foot should be perpendicular to the straight line destination of where you want the ball to drop, but how much does the left foot matter?
Doesn't keeping the left foot open more likely result in your body potentially turning too much before impact?

Apologies for the newbie qns....
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

ball position Empty
PostSubject: Re: ball position   ball position I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 1:50 am

Pardon my newbieness....but from what I know, by keeping the left foot slightly open helps the body to turn in in the follow through. and allow your body to face the target after the follow through. And you only use this for the longer clubs. Woods & Drivers.

The reason being is that when the clubs become longer, you have to widen your stance more. at least this is what my coach tells me but I dont do it because it feels strange to me.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

ball position Empty
PostSubject: Re: ball position   ball position I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 4:03 am

More than one way to skin a cat... Hahaha..
No right or wrong positions; only good or bad results.. hahaha

Ball position would also be dependant on your type of swing; where your hands are at impact position, etc.. So experiment around...

Then again.. take this with a pinch of salt.... wtf do I know about golf....hahaha Very Happy
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

ball position Empty
PostSubject: Re: ball position   ball position I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 6:51 am

Agreed 100% with Bro SS, more than one way to skin a cat.
I like this one though (well... I have to admit that I am a bit RSS biased Embarassed )

http://www.golfaustralia.com.au/ga/instruction_0510_take_a_stance.htm
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

ball position Empty
PostSubject: Re: ball position   ball position I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:50 am

One of the things I picked up from Quinike at the Stary2 night session on Wednesday was that knowing where the arc of your swing touches the ground is ideal in the short game. This should remain constant since precision viz ball impact is critical. So, with the short game (and even the long game), ball placement needs to tie back to your swing. If your swing is consistent, you can then place the ball where it suits your arc best.

Like SS, take my feedback with a pinch/pound/bucket of salt. Do what works best for you.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

ball position Empty
PostSubject: Re: ball position   ball position I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 10:18 pm

Ball position is highly dependent on your swing, so don't follow text book stuff. There is nothing wrong with putting the ball forward or backward. One needs to experiment around to determine what ball position is best for him.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

ball position Empty
PostSubject: Re: ball position   ball position I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 10:29 pm

What everyone says is true. I have a friend who plays with the ball position further backwards than most people I know. THis allows him to compress the ball more. whereas I play the tradiditional position as that was what I was taught.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ball position Empty
PostSubject: Re: ball position   ball position I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ball position
Page 1 of 1