Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?

Go down 
+9
peter.golfer
jeffman88
golf_snowman
joshyo
Slicer51
scottycollector
peace2903
timang84
LateGolfer
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LateGolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? Empty
PostSubject: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi Pros..

I need advice here... WHat is the correct body position to address the ball before hitting?

I was told that my body shld be straight but yet my SPGA coach taught me to tilt my body abit right and my shaft abit slanted right ....

Any video on the basic standing position??

Back to top Go down
timang84
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
timang84

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 10:23 pm

For my irons, my weight is 50/50 and my shaft is leaning a little left, because my right shoulder is lower than my left (since my right hand is gripping the club lower than my left).

BTW are you asking about iron or woods?
Back to top Go down
LateGolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 10:29 pm

for Iron..sorry i didnt mention jus nw...I c most square the ball instead of slanting to a side...
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Tilt right, shaft right.... Interesting. Maybe another new metd.
Stack & tilt is considered the wrong metd also.
Camping here for pros comments....
Back to top Go down
timang84
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
timang84

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 10:38 pm

LateGolfer wrote:
for Iron..sorry i didnt mention jus nw...I c most square the ball instead of slanting to a side...

I think it depends on which iron it is. For 6-PW, I have some shaft lean to the left (i.e.club grip is positioned near the inner left thigh) and the club face is still square to the target. For longer irons the ball position changes a little to the left. With my grip position near my inner left thigh,there is less shaft lean, the club face is still square. Of course, upon upswing and downswing the head remains still, with appropriate amount of shoulder turn and hip turn, spine angle not changed significantly. You should be able to make decent contact. You can search for Mark crossfield on youtube for his videos. Works for me.
Back to top Go down
LateGolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 11:04 pm

i find golf is a v complicated game...Some advice on cross grip some overlapping grip...some stand square some tilt some parts....

Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 11:12 pm

this may not directly answer your question but u may wish to consider this:

1. There probably isn't one address position that is "correct". Different body types and swing types may require different set up.
2. Regardless of the set up position, swing type etc, the one thing that IS constant is IMPACT position. At impact, for irons, your shaft should lean slightly towards the target. ie for right handed golfer, shaft leans left. This is because you have to hit down on the ball and contact it before u contact the ground.
3. So the set up, swing type etc is merely to help the golfer best achieve this impact position in a repeatable fashion. perhaps your coach asked you to lean right because your body tends to move a lot towards the left on the down swing.

What i suggest is that you ask your coach WHY he is asking you to do this. Remember, always ask WHY. Don't just follow. He should be able to give u a logical explanation on what your problem is, and how this is supposed to address that problem. Understanding your problem and the prescribed solution will also help you to practice smarter and improve faster.
Back to top Go down
timang84
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
timang84

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 11:14 pm

When i mention about the grip position i literally mean the position of the club grip in my setup to emphasise the amount of shaft lean i have
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 11:39 pm

LateGolfer wrote:
i find golf is a v complicated game...Some advice on cross grip some overlapping grip...some stand square some tilt some parts....

Yes, golf is a very complicated game indeed but do not mean that you need to be confuse. Seeking for the advise on golf swings in a forum would be a less advantage especially for beginner.

Everyone has their way of swings and understanding. Those worked for them might not work for you.

You may find some experience golfers discussing about golf swings but they were just talking and discussing for the sick of discussing. IMHO, none will changes their swing just because what the forum had discussed, as they knew their existing swing already good enough as they playing well with it.

I would suggest you find a good coach and trust what he is teaching you. Practice and train hard on it and see whether it work for you. Find opportunity to play with better players and obvious how they play..

Different type of grip use or stand was rather very basic fundamental that your coach should have explained to you. If he did not, start asking allot of questions ..
Back to top Go down
LateGolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi..Basically he took a pic of my staRTING position and compare it with a pro position...there is this app on iphone apparently and shows tt kind of position... so basically he says tt is the correct position..

Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 12:06 am

Well I hope ur playing leftie clubs. Cuz it sure does sound like a normal leftie thingy for their irons.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 12:13 am

The questions to be ask :

- I understand my stand is different from the pro but why mine is incorrect ?
- what is the disadvantage or affect to my swing or ball flight with my existing stand position compare to the pro pictures ?

I hope your coach can explained and even demo. If he cannot give you a good explanation or demo the 2 different stand positions. You better change the coach and look for a better one .. try my coach (just kidding)
Back to top Go down
LateGolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:44 am

I jus finished my beginner lesson last week...self training nw at range..haha
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 11:04 am

bro, dun mind me asking where is ur pro teaching ?
Back to top Go down
LateGolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 11:06 am

Eh nt nice to say la...
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Hmmm.. Is in in sembawang?
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 12:24 pm

peace2903 wrote:
Hmmm.. Is in in sembawang?

lol .. teaching method sounds familiar issit? LOL
Back to top Go down
peter.golfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
peter.golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Is your ball straight? If it is, then who cares.

The most important is your impact position. It may be because of your swing path that your coach request u to have that address position.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 1:28 pm

There are many different types of swing.

And therefore many different set up, address position, grip, etc.

Even on tour, you will see many varieties, and they all work else they won't be used on tour.

The set up is fundamental to the swing. It can't be changed without causing a chain effect on the rest of the swing.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 2:15 pm

We are only guessing what u really mean when u post ur questions here.

According to ur question, u were told to keep body straight <-- who told u this? a friend? another pro?

if u are not sure u should ask you coach why he ask u to do that, and u said that he showed u an address position of a pro... did the pro has a shaft lean to the right?

No point asking us in the forum... reminds me of a frd that was taking lessons from a pro and continue to watch golfchannel and self teach..... best is she rather follow what golfchannel says!!!

She tendency is to slice the ball and the last I saw her play, her ball was going straight to the intended target..... BUT she was aiming to the left and addressing with a super close clubface... she is doing all these so she can play a push that in the end go to where she wants...

Back to ur question, u sound like u do not trust ur coach... since u do not trust him, best for u to find another
Back to top Go down
LateGolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Jus back frm golf range..haha sorry its shaft tilt to the left but body lean slightly slanted right... I did a few slow swing n realised its my left wrist problem..

When addressing the ball the club face is squared but upon downswing my clubface becomes open die to my left wrist...
So need to correct my wrist..

Apologies for confusion
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Bro, maybe like to check whether your left wrist is cupped, flat or bowed on your top swing and also whether you are swinging on plane ... practice with a reason to improve, hitting hundred balls blindly is last thing you like to do.

Take note on how your ball flight in every swing against an target .. sliced, push, pull, hook .. etc

IMHO there is no short cut to this game. Practice and train hard if one wanted to play well. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
LateGolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 12:03 pm

thank you very much for the advice....will do so... Huat ah
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 12:23 pm

This might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBuUe7EwQOU&feature=related
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Colin,

There is a good video explaining about spine tilt Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?   Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does your body and shaft tilt to the right when addressing the ball?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next