Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?

Go down 
+12
mengteck71
NikeN
MrBig
Turbo
Golfer Guy
sob
watermyforrest
TourSwing
Slicer51
mUAr_cHEe
Bangla123
Branong
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Branong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? Empty
PostSubject: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Hi Pros,
I can drive my driver and fairway wood about 180m on the range, strange thing is that driver should get me further but the distance just get stuck there.
the posture and swing i used for both clubs would be the similar. Infact the only thing i felt was that i dont hit balls off the tee as well as compared to ball on grass.

while i try to hit the driver on the upward motion of the club, somehow, the distance just get compensated.
any comments? or anyone face this same issue?
thanks
Brandon
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:59 am

Are you using the same model
And shaft for both? It might be due to different models having different swing weight or flex?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 8:13 am

"Your optimal club is the 3 wood then..." that is what a Wise Man told me once...

I think it might be the same thing for you.

My 2 cents, not worth much actually. (many would agree here.) but hitting the ball on the 'upwards' might not necessarily mean further distance. The club is designed to be hit straight. The loft of each individual clubs are already designed to bring the ball up to each designated angle and height...

I think you should just concentrate on hitting it better or perhaps get a professional to sort it out with you.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 9:01 am

I have the same issue too. My 4i distance is the same as my 5i. That is the reason, my 4i is at home now and use to adjust my air condition fan sweep position .... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 9:46 am

For every swingspeed (and ultimately ball speed) there is an optimal launch angle and spin rate ...

You may not be launching your driver high enough and thus losing out on much distance. Or in efforts to hit on the up .. launching the ball too high (unlikely)

You may not be generating enough spin and that prevents the ball from staying in the air ... Or generating too much spin and hence see your ball baloon high (unlikely, but possible)

Get access to a launch monitor and compare your driver vs 3w numbers, eg ballspeed, launch angle, spin rate .... And if you dont have access to one just get a golfing buddy to take a look
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 10:08 am

TourSwing wrote:
And if you dont have access to one just get a golfing buddy to take a look

Organic trackman. Birdman... do u have this feature?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 10:08 am

Slicer51 wrote:
my 4i is at home now and use to adjust my air condition fan sweep position .... Very Happy
LIKEY.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 10:41 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
TourSwing wrote:
And if you dont have access to one just get a golfing buddy to take a look

Organic trackman. Birdman... do u have this feature?

ROFL
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 11:32 am

Fairway wood makes u feel good when you outdrive your flightmates using a driver.

Driver makes u feel like giving up the game when u get out driven by flightmate using fairway wood. Razz
Back to top Go down
Golfer Guy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 11:44 am

To be honest at higher handicaps, the fairway wood is not an easy club to handle but the lower the handicap then the club becomes indispensable. I play off 9 and to shoot my handicap is not easy if I don't attack Par 5s, that's where the wood comes into its own.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 11:44 am

Hi Branong, you prolly using the wrong or not-so-effective technique in your driver. 180m for FW is not bad for a social golfer but not your driver. Maybe the driver loft or shaft not suitable for you. In order to answer all these "maybe" questions, I would urge you to talk to a qualified clubfitter.
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Maybe you just need more loft in your driver
Back to top Go down
MrBig
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
MrBig

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 2:48 pm

lol.... at least you dun have my problem...

My 5w can go 220... my driver stuck at 180...
Really duno the reason why... and it seems soooo ridiculous, but... happens all the time.
hahahaha
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 4:47 pm

MrBig wrote:

Really duno the reason why... and it seems soooo ridiculous, but... happens all the time.
hahahaha

Prolly either the driver loft and/or shaft is not suitable for your swing. I suggest you talk to a qualified clubfitter.
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 5:21 pm

MrBig wrote:

hahahaha

Bro, can u teach me how to hit 220m with 5W? My 5W only give me 170-180m... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 7:49 pm

I can teach that .. hit 180 m and run back 40 m Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Branong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Turbo wrote:
Hi Branong, you prolly using the wrong or not-so-effective technique in your driver. 180m for FW is not bad for a social golfer but not your driver. Maybe the driver loft or shaft not suitable for you. In order to answer all these "maybe" questions, I would urge you to talk to a qualified clubfitter.

Thanks everyone for your replies in helping myself as a newbie!

i am using different brands for both drivers and FW.
Driver is a US spec RBZ while the 3FW is a Callaway Razr. all on stock shafts. in fact, i honestly have no clue which is more whippy or stiff since i got them at the shop.

I was thinking whether is my fast downswing suited a stiffer shaft and perhaps feel that the RBZ shaft is abit too whippy for me or that i am just to inconsistent in my swing

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 8:31 am

Bro Branong,

Did not know how long you have been playing golf and what is your hcp. However, the best approach was to have a pro (instructor) to take a look at your swing (fix your swing if needed) then proceed to seek a qualified clubfitter to review you clubs.

It is advantage that one can at least swing more consistence before seeking an clubfitter help.

Once you done all above .. There were be no more excuses in blaming your "arrow" if you cannot shot staight ... just my 2 cts ...
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 8:50 am

Slicer51 wrote:
lol!
bro, thx for your offer!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 9:14 am

kenkong79 wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:
lol!
bro, thx for your offer!!! Laughing

You're welcome lol! Beer
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 9:33 am

Like Pak Slicer said, it's prob not the arrow but the indian.
Get some professional help would be the best advise, just concern that you might get all confused with the inputs.

Don't think that its the clubs as the ones you using are quite forgiving.
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 9:44 am

MrBig wrote:

hahahaha

Bro can post video of your 5W or not?
Your dist scary lah, same if not longer than Tiger's 5 W! Neutral

Got Shadow not?
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 10:01 am

why need a driver when ur 5W can go 220m? My driver only 230m max
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 12:26 pm

mengteck71 wrote:

Agree! cheers Beer
Back to top Go down
MrBig
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
MrBig

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 12:54 pm

kenkong79 wrote:
mengteck71 wrote:

Agree! cheers Beer

kinda stupid rite .... i really dun understand wat's going on...
but ... 5w without tee seems to go that far, havent tried to tee it up yet.

Driver ... tee up .... 180....
3w .... 2 meters.... just duno how to use it .... would be lucky if the ball doesnt land me in the rough.

Irons .... lol.... almost all around 120-140.... regardless of which iron i use....
PW... 100 ...

I really really do not understand how to use my clubs .....
Perhaps it's time to get a coach.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?   Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any key differences of driving a fairway wood vs driver?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next