Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

knowing right from wrong

Go down 
+7
tronos
EACgolf
kwannick
Winston
Tituman
nrafee
lion_woods
11 posters
AuthorMessage
lion_woods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

knowing right from wrong Empty
PostSubject: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 12:25 pm

Hey all, i've just started out, and i was wondering how you guys know whether you are doing the swing correctly?

and secondly, whether there is a certain distance to meet for each club.

Third, I sometimes find it difficult to find where my ball flew to, any suggestions to solve this probelm?
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 2:13 pm

1) there is no perfect swing, but there some moves which you should avoid having. A golf pro will be able to help you pick out your swing faults.

2) no distance to meet, different person hit different distance with different club.
there is however an avg distance that most golfer will hit with a certain club.
eg 7 iron 130m, 5 iron 150m etc.

3) You need a caddy or a good flight mate that will help you look where your ball go.

Back to top Go down
lion_woods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 2:15 pm

nrafee wrote:
1) there is no perfect swing, but there some moves which you should avoid having. A golf pro will be able to help you pick out your swing faults.

2) no distance to meet, different person hit different distance with different club.
there is however an avg distance that most golfer will hit with a certain club.
eg 7 iron 130m, 5 iron 150m etc.

3) You need a caddy or a good flight mate that will help you look where your ball go.

ooo ok so i can't do it alone huh, looks like its time to find some friends to go to the range with...
Back to top Go down
lion_woods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: balls veering right.   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 5:29 pm

oh hey, by the way, my balls keep flying right, do you know why?
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 5:38 pm

lion_woods wrote:

Its often been refered to as " slicing " caused by an opened face at point of impact.
Back to top Go down
lion_woods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Tituman wrote:
lion_woods wrote:

Its often been refered to as " slicing " caused by an opened face at point of impact.

eh sorry, open face means that my club points towards the right upon impact?

so how do i prevent it?
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 5:52 pm

lion_woods wrote:
Tituman wrote:
lion_woods wrote:

so how do i prevent it?

Look for a coach.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Tituman wrote:
lion_woods wrote:

I think that can still slice with a saquare face at impact or even a closed face. Out side in swing path with a chicken wing on the left arm,.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Lion Woods,

Go engage a coach to get your fundamentals....

Last edited by Winston on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kwannick
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
kwannick

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Get a coach. Learn and practice, bro. Lots and lots of practice.

Best way to learn is to make mistakes and learn from them... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
EACgolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
EACgolf

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi Lion woods,

99% of all beginners hit their balls mostly to the right side(slice). Try and roll both your hands from left to right during the downswing before the club's face strike the ball. The faster you roll your hands the faster your club face will come to square or closed position upon impact, that will let your ball fly to the left side. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:02 pm

take a video and post in forum. THEN you can see if justify to go to coach. People can also recommend which coach is a better fit for you. You may need a beginners course or a 1 to 1 coaching. also need to see your time schedule.

A real beginner going for 10 lessons package 1 to 1, with no time to practice in between, is quite expensive and wasteful.

clubs need some fitting, now balls also got fitting, coach also must have some fitting.

Back to top Go down
lion_woods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:04 pm

EACgolf wrote:
Hi Lion woods,

99% of all beginners hit their balls mostly to the right side(slice). Try and roll both your hands from left to right during the downswing before the club's face strike the ball. The faster you roll your hands the faster your club face will come to square or closed position upon impact, that will let your ball fly to the left side. Very Happy

oh hey thanks! but is it normal for players to roll their hands this way?
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:32 pm

lion_woods wrote:
Tituman wrote:
lion_woods wrote:

so how do i prevent it?

Bro Lion, as per many abv advice, gettg a coach was e wise choice. Very Happy
It helps in understandg yrself w this sport, yr correct stance, min major bad habits etc...its named e fundamental. Fm there, u can adjust/ correct/ amend yr play to yr own style. cheers
Enjoyed golf.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 10:25 pm

lion_woods wrote:
EACgolf wrote:
Hi Lion woods,

No disrespect intended for EACgolf.

This is a recipe for turning a slice into a pull and eventually, a snap hook. If the hand rolling action is timed correctly, it might turn into a fade. The chances for a beginner to learn to time it correctly and reproduce the timing consistently is clear for all to see.

Learn what is called a push and a slice. Both will go right but with a different shape.

If you are indeed slicing, the major problem is the swing path, not the club face. Fixing the swing path will give you a more consistent shot rather than trying to time the rolling over of the hands.

If you are pushing, then the fix is quite different from a slice.

For a beginner, a slice is more likely than a push.

Since you are a beginner, you have a fantastic opportunity to start from a clean slate without deeply ingrained bad habits in your muscle memory. It is 10 times harder to fix a flaw than to learn it in the first place. So, it makes sense to learn how to do it correctly right from the start.

Hence all the advice above about getting a good coach.

Peace.
Back to top Go down
lion_woods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 10:32 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
lion_woods wrote:
EACgolf wrote:
Hi Lion woods,

No disrespect intended for EACgolf.

This is a recipe for turning a slice into a pull and eventually, a snap hook. If the hand rolling action is timed correctly, it might turn into a fade. The chances for a beginner to learn to time it correctly and reproduce the timing consistently is clear for all to see.

Learn what is called a push and a slice. Both will go right but with a different shape.

If you are indeed slicing, the major problem is the swing path, not the club face. Fixing the swing path will give you a more consistent shot rather than trying to time the rolling over of the hands.

If you are pushing, then the fix is quite different from a slice.

For a beginner, a slice is more likely than a push.

Since you are a beginner, you have a fantastic opportunity to start from a clean slate without deeply ingrained bad habits in your muscle memory. It is 10 times harder to fix a flaw than to learn it in the first place. So, it makes sense to learn how to do it correctly right from the start.

Hence all the advice above about getting a good coach.

Peace.

wow, never knew there was so much to golf... haha great stuff, i am going to get a coach, but do you guys know like the market rate? i don't want to end up over paying... for that matter, do you guys have anyone to recommend and how to tell if the coach is good for me?
Back to top Go down
EACgolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
EACgolf

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:55 am

Brother, no worry of my comment (disrespect) whether it help or not.......true that the right thing to do is go and soul hunting for a coach that fit you... cheers
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi matey

When a new golfer seeks professional help (may it be from myself or my fellow PGA professionals), he'd taken one step in the right direction to improve your golf game.

A professional should be able to answer all the questions you might have for him.He should be able to explain the golf swing to you in the simplest terms possible, making your learning experience productive and informative.

There are so many things to learn about the golf swing may it be whether you are a brand new golfer or an accomplished golf professional. Get yourself started on the right track and I'm sure you'd be on your way to playing more enjoyable golf!
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Easier to learn a new swing when u r a new golfer

Ppl like me play a few years liao need to demolish old swing n work on new one. Very painful to do that

So seek help lor...
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 10:54 am

andrew-golf wrote:
Easier to learn a new swing when u r a new golfer

Ppl like me play a few years liao need to demolish old swing n work on new one. Very painful to do that

So seek help lor...

Ya...agreed. Wink
To adopt, v easy. Basketball
To amend/ correct, v difficult. Mad
Back to top Go down
lion_woods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: using a fairway wood   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 6:58 pm

hey all, haha thanks for all your comments really appreciate it...

oh by the way, i notice that my slice is only on my 7 iron, and not so much on my fairway... i wonder why...

and secondly, when i use the fairway, while positioning myself i notice that i have a tendency to lift the wood alittle so that the sole of the wood is not resting flat on the ground, is this correct?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: knowing right from wrong   knowing right from wrong I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

knowing right from wrong
Page 1 of 1