Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fairway wood

Go down 
+11
dmateo
nismo88
skybobo
Golfnuts
eiji
Frederick
asahi
slinger
Birdman
Ssquirrel
Duval_S
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Playing with fairway wood is one thing that I am most afraid and paranoid about.

u see, I just cant hit off any fairway....i originally tot I could..but then I realize...out of 10 times, maybe 1 or twice only....other times I can only execute the 4K shot.

Went back to the mind guru book.....and the advice is to learn to love....wah...macam ST francis prayer.

anyways, while I am learning that..................any other tip? coz I see so many folks play fairway wood and i just want to be like them....and hopefully I can play off blue ...better and better-er

Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 7:47 pm

Hit Hard... Look Up! hehehe albino
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Range lor... but you don't believe in it mah, so how?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:16 pm

d, when on the fairway, u just tee it up n hit with your wood loh....

once got confidence, remove the tee loh

anyway, u are not a betting man.... so
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:24 pm

somehow..somewhere...some what

I feel a sense of retribution oncoming in my direction....hahahahah

so if I piece the 3 advice together, the secret is:

Hit hard at range and look up...and bet on course...

Correct bo?
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:27 pm

Hmm..... Can always start small. Bet coconuts first. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frederick
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Frederick

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:36 pm

I work at the driving range quite a lot like most others. Whenever I have success in my irons... I always double check hitting my hybrids and FWs... like one of the fellow pro told me.14 clubs one swing... if you can swing yr irons and can't do the same with FW or driver, then you need to re-look yr swing. I use the mirror alot to help me...... Smile
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 9:09 pm

today i was hitting my 4 wood with better results than my hitting my driver.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Golfnuts
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golfnuts

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 9:44 pm

I find this video useful... you might be interested Very Happy

Fairway Metal
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 1:04 am

Like Bro Poresia say, drive short short so u are forced to use a 3w on your approach....
Then u will be good cos u are hitting it so often Smile

Seriously, in order to hit woods well (or any clubs), u need to make sure that you rotate your hips and not slide
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 1:23 am

Besides my usual nonsense... if you want to hit the Fairway wood well, you'd need to practise.
The other thing would be to just swing through normally and not try to force it. Most often when I screw up with the fairway wood is when I try to muscle it more to try to send the ball to infinity and beyond. Aim to catch the ball cleanly and then swing through normally.
You should also choose the club wisely depending on the lie, if you are in thick rough, the fw is usually not the right choice. albino
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 10:25 am

Bro SSquirrel......thanks for the tip. Actually be it your usual nonsense, or substance like this, I still manage to learn something

Pls check your 'FAN- inbox'....you hava a fan mail
Back to top Go down
nismo88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
nismo88

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 9:08 am

Thanks Bro Golfnuts for the video.... its helpful...
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 9:28 am

for me, just make sure you fully extend your arm on setup, back swing and downswing.
only release the club when your left arm are around 5:30 PM position. Hit it with the hips not with the arm / shoulder.
on 5 wood you should get around 170-180 meter on level fairway.

The key for me is arm extension, release and body rotation. Make sure you don't go up and down on your swing and don't release too early or you'll hit the ground.

I love my five wood, used to be my favourite club for anything above 170m. Now that my driver revived I rarely get to use them except maybe 2-4 times on the par 5.. Sad
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 12:26 pm

I have the same opinion with bro Ssquirrel ..

- do not afraid to turn and rotate ( I usually hold back on my back swing when come to fairway wood )
- Do not try to force your swing and think to swing hard because it is long club .. swing smoothing give you better contact and distance.

- I only hit with my 3 wood on a fairway never in the rough ( no skill yet )

- practice will be the key word ... If you cannot hit it good enough on a driving mat .. forget about it on the course .. lack of confidence will screw your swing too ... If I am thinking " Can I use 3 wood and hit straight at the target from here " ..Forget it .. If I am thinking " Let use the 3 wood for the distance is just right to be on the green " .. there will be big different ...

Just my 1 cent though ...
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 12:52 pm

still can hit from rough... depending on how the ball sits on it.. if you got a flyer lie, dun think it is difficult coz it will be like from a tee...
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 2:14 pm

try hybrids/rescue. I have replaced my 5 wood with a hybrid.. and getting better consistency.. and moreover can be used in the rough. Just play it like an iron.

someone once told be.. the key to woods is to complete the backswing, and try to stay down and sense that you are looking at the ball and hitting it while still looking.. never never try to help the ball up.. spend so much on clubs.. better let the club do some work.
Back to top Go down
dancsy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dancsy

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 3:35 pm

For me, the key is in brushing the grass... if you can practise brushing the grass a few times before your shot, it helps to give you a higher chance of hitting it right... Laughing (provided you execute your actual shot like your pratice swing, which alot of us dun... ) Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fairway wood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood   Fairway wood I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fairway wood
Page 1 of 1