Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only

Go down 
+32
acidic88
blee67
slinger
Derek
pippin
Tituman
HyBriD
Ssquirrel
Duval_S
Gray
duffader
mUAr_cHEe
Lee36328
Sean76
golfnut
Newtogolf
ahnah
Turbo
siaokao
VWgolfer
golfian
Billyow
dmateo
ChrisD
LousyGolfer
hkhamateur
garylin
eiji
Slicer51
HD Street Glide
Joshua
mi5trooper
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 10:48 pm

Turbo wrote:
Newtogolf,

Golf swing is a matter of muscle memory. It takes time to absorb each and every fundamentals into your muscle. Obviously it is tough for a beginner to remember everything in one breathe.

In the course, one should not think of mechanics. You should focus on where you want your ball to land and how you're gonna play the next shot.
Very true. But sometimes during the course of learning, there's so much in which the pros stuff us with.

"Spine angle is off", "You slouch", "Your address position is wrong", "You are sit-squatting"....

Then again, I don't blame the pros. There's only so much in 10hr lessons they can teach us and rather than rushing through 10hrs and suffer information overload, it would be good to take 2 to 3 weeks off between lessons and use the 'off weeks' to practice what was taught the previous week to 'burn in' the knowledge into your brains, subconscious and muscles.

Then again, my aiming isn't fantastic. An unzeroed rifle probably has more accuracy than me. ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:01 pm

mi5trooper wrote:
Today, i took out my iron and give it 5 shot each iron. i notice my 7 iron distance is only 70-80m (is this normal or below normal). the max distance i reach is 100m with 5 and 3 iron.

I must have done pretty badly and the old gentleman next to me hit further then me.

till now, my wood still is not able to measure. sigh...

back to practice again.

Hi mi5trooper,

I believe you mentioned that you were 40. 70 to 80 with a 7i simply means that you are not striking the ball properly. Especially if 70-80 is at the driving range, hitting off forgiving turf mats. I am assuming that your physique is within normal parameters of an average male without physical limitations.

It is not so much whether a certain number is an acceptable distance but rather if you achieve an acceptable level of ball striking, the distance comes naturally.

At the initial stage, the jump in distance will come with improvement in technique. Once your technique becomes consistent, then physical conditioning plays a larger part. At your current stage, I doubt if developing more core strength is going to do anything to your 7i distance.

How you choose to improve your technique is up to you, but as with the others, I would recommend a competent coach and sufficient practice. A consistent golf swing is not going to happen overnight.

Enjoy the journey.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Took me 2 and half years to get my iron swing correct.

and even now its not perfect, still need to keep working at improving my ball striking and getting a downward strike with compression and divot after the ball.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfnut

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:28 pm

btw, how you guys prevent yourself from picking up bad habbits.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:36 pm

eiji wrote:

and even now its not perfect, still need to keep working at improving my ball striking and getting a downward strike with compression and divot after the ball.

took me 2 n half years to have my 1st game with mloy....

another 2 n half years to forget the trauma....

afro
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:42 pm

OMG I never got over that trauma...and I think the trauma is visiting me again this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 12:02 am

golfnut wrote:
I'm not even sure if I'd picked up any bad habits until my lesson next week when I go for a review.
Back to top Go down
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfnut

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 12:09 am

NTG, you based in Muang Thai? I frequent Krung Teap 3-4 times a year. Maybe can arrange a game on the green. Smile
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 12:12 am

golfnut wrote:
NTG, you based in Muang Thai? I frequent Krung Teap 3-4 times a year. Maybe can arrange a game on the green. Smile
Yup, based here for a while. But it all depends on when you are visiting though. My schedule's abit crazy at times. Laughing
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 8:01 am

slinger wrote:
eiji wrote:

took me 2 n half years to have my 1st game with mloy....

another 2 n half years to forget the trauma....

afro

ROFL
Back to top Go down
VWgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
VWgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 2:09 pm

Newtogolf,

Yep too many things to remember at a time is also a problem for me. Remind myself of this, forget tat, remember tat, forget another, etc etc. So much so I do just stare at the ball with an empty mind sometimes n just swing...sometimes it works but most of the time not lol.

Golf....seems so much harder to learn than driving!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Me only learn 3 months.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 4:41 pm

golfnut wrote:

I don't think there is a way to prevent picking up bad habits, I try hard not to by focusing on a proper setup position, especially grip, ball position and alignment. However, habits still creep in, hence the need to see a professional on occasion to get a check up.
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 5:07 pm

I agree on the point 10x 1hr lessons are insufficient if students rush through it on a weekly basis. Have 1 or 2 weeks practice in between lessons will be good for students. Focus on 1 thing at a time, especially on setup. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 5:09 pm

i think i am into 62nd hour of lesson with a coach tomorrow. Embarassed

sigh...no talent.
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 5:24 pm

eiji, I'm about to sign up for another 10 lessons.. like the wise man says "when the buying stops, the journey to training begins.."
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 5:27 pm

acidic88 wrote:
eiji, I'm about to sign up for another 10 lessons.. like the wise man says "when the buying stops, the journey to training begins.."

My buying stopped...for the rest of my bag except Driver and the occasional wedge when it wears out. But my handicap hasn't improved much..went from a 22 handicap beginning of last year to a 19 handicap as of 1st Mar. Sad
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Looks like eiji and I r best suited to play level
Back to top Go down
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfnut

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 8:38 pm

eiji wrote:
i think i am into 62nd hour of lesson with a coach tomorrow. Embarassed

sigh...no talent.

shows you are committed to the game la!
Back to top Go down
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfnut

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 8:39 pm

Derek wrote:
golfnut wrote:

I don't think there is a way to prevent picking up bad habits, I try hard not to by focusing on a proper setup position, especially grip, ball position and alignment. However, habits still creep in, hence the need to see a professional on occasion to get a check up.

I think the pro uncles in front of my bay and golf channels are bad habbits. Laughing
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 9:05 pm

golfnut wrote:
Derek wrote:
golfnut wrote:

I think the pro uncles in front of my bay and golf channels are bad habbits. Laughing

Er. I don quite understand. Tot in front of ur bay sud be the range fairway??
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 10:06 pm

eiji wrote:
My buying stopped...for the rest of my bag except Driver and the occasional wedge when it wears out. But my handicap hasn't improved much..went from a 22 handicap beginning of last year to a 19 handicap as of 1st Mar. Sad

At least your handicap is going down.. mine is the other way around. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfnut

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 1:29 am

nientsu wrote:

I mean while addressing la. but should put the next bay. As amatures, we would usually watch the person beside, so he swing, we goes waaahh. then try to imitate and all hell breaks loose. Laughing
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 11:32 am

golfnut wrote:
nientsu wrote:

I mean while addressing la. but should put the next bay. As amatures, we would usually watch the person beside, so he swing, we goes waaahh. then try to imitate and all hell breaks loose. Laughing

Yah that happen to me as well.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 11:42 am

golfnut wrote:
nientsu wrote:

We are all amatuers. Well, heres an advise which greatly benefitted me when my coach and some of my GR idols told me this.

Its a waste of your time and money if you go to the range and just hit balls for the sake of hitting them. Always go with an objective in mind. Understand what is preventing you from hitting the shots properly, and work on it. Dont bother about what others are doing, rather, bother about what you are doing, or not doing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next