Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles

Go down 
+11
freedrop
weesern
Slicer51
scotty2010
sfhuang
Elysium
eiji
Khorkar
S70B
ghoonk
jumboburger1376
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jumboburger1376
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles Empty
PostSubject: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi, does anyone know if these type of sunglasses are sold here? The type that fit over spectacles but for sports.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 1:58 pm

Looking for something like that as well. It's getting insanely bright here in UAE (summer, we're playing in temps of over 45 deg C), and I seriously need some eye protection.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 2:18 pm

I have played in 43*C heat in Perth before walking and carrying my clubs and I nearly passed out midway.

I guess Summer is def not golf season there for most. pale
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 2:31 pm

Not that bad here, since it's buggy on fairways, and there are cold water coolers every other hole. But the intensity of the brightness is definitely going to mess up my eyesight at this rate, and with my prescription at just over 6.25 on both eyes, it's hard to get Oakleys/ Rudy Project/etc made
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Thats a fast track to Cataracts.

Do you wear contacts? I do. Makes playing the game so much more convenient and wearing shades a breeze...literally.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 2:42 pm

Nope, don't wear contacts - they just refuse to go in, and the amount of sharpness I give away isn't worth it. I tried them on for a couple of hours, and was told that it is normal that I cannot read signboards from a good distance away, the same distance that I can read the same signboard with using my spectacles.

Might seriously have to consider ponying up for a set of Rudy Project ones with the standard lenses and the flip down shades
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 2:46 pm

The 'In' thing here I see is Transition lenses.

I have them in a pair of specs but somehow, I found them not dark enuff and not as effective as a pair of proper sunglasses. It works decent, just not well enuff.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Sorry to OT..but still in the subject of glasses... I found this to be pretty interesting. The glass that can help you to find your ball.

http://www.visiballusa.com/
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 4:29 pm

Anyone keen on a group buy for this in Singapore:

Rudy Project Exception Evo Std Golf sunglasses with prescription lens

I will probably be getting one of these from my optician when I get back to Singapore. Last time I checked, it was just over SGD500, including lenses
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 5:44 pm

dude, go get lasik done!
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 5:56 pm

Not willing to take that chance la. Besides, my eyesight is sharper with my spectacles. It's practically 20/20 now, and if I get Lasik, the best they can go is 6/6, and if they screw up, I still need to wear contact lenses. Not to mention that I am only back for 1 week this time, and if anything goes wrong outside of the observation period, I'm screwed, need to fly back and sort it out, which means time away from office Sad
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 5:58 pm

the risk is very low, though they are still some risks, i went through it and am glad that i did.

i was 20/20 with specs too, but its the ability to wake up and not have to search for specs, not having to worry about sweat drops on the lenses, etc etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 5:59 pm

I'm so awesome that I don't even sweat

Just kidding. I wish Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Elysium
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 9:03 pm

ghoonk wrote:
Anyone keen on a group buy for this in Singapore:

Rudy Project Exception Evo Std Golf sunglasses with prescription lens

I will probably be getting one of these from my optician when I get back to Singapore. Last time I checked, it was just over SGD500, including lenses

The frame itself should be almost $495 already. I paid about $600 (incl. lenses) for it in the end, but I have high astig of 3.0 in one eye, and both eyes have myopia of 6.5 already. You can call RPA Pte Ltd directly to purchase the frame from them, but its only cheaper by about $20, and you'll probably lose the difference when you make the lens itself.

Last edited by Elysium on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 9:42 pm

How do you find them? Comfortable to use on the course?
Back to top Go down
Elysium
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 10:52 am

Quite good, comfortable enough to wear for a whole day.

I'm using the standard sunglass lens though, Singapore has no stock of the photochromic golf lens.
Back to top Go down
sfhuang
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 11:27 am

Elysium wrote:
Quite good, comfortable enough to wear for a whole day.

I'm using the standard sunglass lens though, Singapore has no stock of the photochromic golf lens.

Which optometrist shop can I get them at? I'd like to take a closer look.
Back to top Go down
Elysium
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 11:33 am

I got mine from Seng Li at Queensway Shopping Centre. Its the corner store where they display a lot of Oakleys as well.

However, I have seen them at other places like Bras Basah as well.

Oh, another brand that you guys can look at is Swan Sunglasses. But its only available in one location in singapore, a bike shop at Jln Klapa

Last edited by Elysium on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scotty2010
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 11:35 am

jumboburger1376 wrote:
Hi, does anyone know if these type of sunglasses are sold here? The type that fit over spectacles but for sports.

Thanks!

I am using "Skyline", available from GH & PW. Provides UV protection and claims to cut glare by 99.9%. Used it for driving too. Has panels on left and right of the glassess to cut out reflection from the sides, a problem with clip-on type sunglasses. Bought for SGD 39.90. Used to be sold at Caltex petrol stations but can't find them there anymore.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Elysium wrote:
I got mine from Seng Li at Queensway Shopping Centre. Its the corner store where they display a lot of Oakleys as well.

However, I have seen them at other places like Bras Basah as well.

Oh, another brand that you guys can look at is Swan Sunglasses. But its only available in one location in singapore, a bike shop at Jln Klapa

I'm going to Kwong Shin in Bras Basah in Singapore to get mine
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 1:38 am

deleted

Last edited by Slicer51 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 9:04 am

was thinking of diy one with the blue sheet we used to make lantern.... not sure if it will work...
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 9:44 am

You should read the other post here on Lasik. Best option is Lasik.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Unless doc screws up and you end up still having to wear spectacles/contacts. And I have seen several cases already. Dry eyes, etc. probably a 1 in 10 chance of imperfect vision, but still a chance of a screw-up... Sad

but looks like some people are doing well post-LASIK, so I might get my eyes checked out when I am back, and try to get an idea of the costs involved

http://www.golfrepublic.org/lounge-f9/lasik-t6202-15.htm#114293
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 1:37 pm

deleted

Last edited by Slicer51 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles   Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sunglasses that fit over normal spectacles
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next