Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only

Go down 
+32
acidic88
blee67
slinger
Derek
pippin
Tituman
HyBriD
Ssquirrel
Duval_S
Gray
duffader
mUAr_cHEe
Lee36328
Sean76
golfnut
Newtogolf
ahnah
Turbo
siaokao
VWgolfer
golfian
Billyow
dmateo
ChrisD
LousyGolfer
hkhamateur
garylin
eiji
Slicer51
HD Street Glide
Joshua
mi5trooper
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 10:51 am

duffader wrote:
Why u keep mentioning if for slightly advance folks huh?

because beginners should concentrate on getting the ball up and straight first and be shooting more consistently?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
duffader wrote:
Why u keep mentioning if for slightly advance folks huh?

because beginners should concentrate on getting the ball up and straight first and be shooting more consistently?

I think it's easier to hit a 10m straight shot than a 100m straight shot.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:16 am

VWgolfer wrote:
Hmmm OK. I know I got problem with shifting my weight during the downswing now. Strange thing is before I started lessons and just started to whack the ball I could hit abt 100 to 120 but after starting lessons and correcting the swing, I m at 70 to 90.

Anyway I am still trying to get my swing correct with lessons from my coach, hopefully soon cos I want to try the greens soon!!

Perhaps too much mechanics that confused you ...

Proper weight shift is one of the vital fundamentals in gaining distance. I noticed many short hitters whose weight were still on their rear feets after impact ...
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:20 am

duffader wrote:

you already know this flaw of mine. My 100m shots are straighter than my 10m shots.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:39 am

I think for a beginner, one should not worry too much about getting the ball straight first. Just swing naturally and let your body react. Unless you have some kind of physical handicap, I think our bodies are naturally capable of swinging a club and reacting correctly to it.

If you give a young kid a club and just ask him/her to swing freely, you'd probably see quite a nice "uninstructed" swing. As adults we are probably afraid more of the outcome and try to steer the ball, or read instructions of "position golf" where the hands must be, where the weight must be, etc that confuses the crap out of most.

If you google throwing golf clubs, and or extraordinary golf by shoemaker (not 100% sure if that's the book) you'd see pics of people just trying to throw the golfclubs to a target and the "golf positions/stance" are actually almost perfect in terms of weight shift, etc...

Just my 2 lousy cents....

albino
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 12:17 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
duffader wrote:

you already know this flaw of mine. My 100m shots are straighter than my 10m shots.

Then lay up to 100m loh.
Back to top Go down
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfnut

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 12:22 pm

range mat vs on greens - huge difference.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Quote :
Ssquirrel wrote:
I think for a beginner, one should not worry too much about getting the ball straight first. Just swing naturally and let your body react. Unless you have some kind of physical handicap, I think our bodies are naturally capable of swinging a club and reacting correctly to it.

Just my 2 lousy cents....

albino

I don just agree with SS

coz I very agree with SS. As a beginner regardless of whch stage a beginner one is....getting airborne itself is an achievement..
Back to top Go down
VWgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
VWgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Turbo wrote:
VWgolfer wrote:
Hmmm OK. I know I got problem with shifting my weight during the downswing now. Strange thing is before I started lessons and just started to whack the ball I could hit abt 100 to 120 but after starting lessons and correcting the swing, I m at 70 to 90.

Anyway I am still trying to get my swing correct with lessons from my coach, hopefully soon cos I want to try the greens soon!!

Proper weight shift is one of the vital fundamentals in gaining distance. I noticed many short hitters whose weight were still on their rear feets after impact ...

Yep tats my exact problem. Tho coach keeps correcting n reminding me I just can't get it rite. Half swing ok n I get 70 to 80 too but once full swing...gone. Haiz...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:23 pm

VWgolfer wrote:
Yep tats my exact problem. Tho coach keeps correcting n reminding me I just can't get it rite. Half swing ok n I get 70 to 80 too but once full swing...gone. Haiz...

Perhaps you might wanna consider adopting Right-Side-Swing. In Right-Side-Swing, you are primed for impact position when you address the ball. Therefore, this swing method makes it easier for your to shift your weight to your front foot upon impact. The Right-Side-Swing advocator, Paul Tudor can tell you more. You may wanna consider signing up swing lesson with him. Smile

Another way without incurring any cost is, try throwing a stone hard with one hand to get a feeling of weight shift. In order to swing the stone far, you would need to shift your rear foot to the front just before you release the stone.

Back to top Go down
VWgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
VWgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks for the tips. I still got lessons to go with my coach so will start with the stone throwing method first. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfnut

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:47 pm

VW, don't throw at ranges hor. Laughing
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:55 pm

mi5trooper wrote:
Today, i took out my iron and give it 5 shot each iron. i notice my 7 iron distance is only 70-80m (is this normal or below normal). the max distance i reach is 100m with 5 and 3 iron.

I must have done pretty badly and the old gentleman next to me hit further then me.

till now, my wood still is not able to measure. sigh...

back to practice again.

if you want to gain distance....

Do some core exercise. not weights.

Just core strengthening exercise.

or do some Boxing exercises drill

By solidifying your abs & legs.
You will gain power & stamina
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
VWgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
VWgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 2:55 pm

golfnut wrote:
VW, don't throw at ranges hor. Laughing

Yeah need a big empty space with no people, monkeys, chipmunks etc....dun wan to kill anyone or anything lol
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm

VWgolfer wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I still got lessons to go with my coach so will start with the stone throwing method first. Very Happy

Just look at how the Pitcher (in Baseball) throws the ball at the opposing batter. The Pitcher will place most of his weight on the rear leg when he is set to pitch, and he would shift almost all his weight to the front leg upon a fraction of a second before releasing the ball ... Wink

Or observe how the batter shifts his weight when hits the ball that is being thrown at him ...
Back to top Go down
VWgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
VWgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 3:40 pm

I do have one concern is I worry I lose my balance when I shift my weight, tats prob one reason I subconsciously hold back to shift the weight I think...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 3:47 pm

VWgolfer wrote:
I do have one concern is I worry I lose my balance when I shift my weight, tats prob one reason I subconsciously hold back to shift the weight I think...

You should not lose balance if you swing within your ability (i.e. about 80% of your max possible strength). A golf swing should not be jerky ... you should focus on swinging in a smooth tempo.

After you have learned how to weight shift, you have to learn how to lag (i.e. delay hit) inorder to gain tremendous distance.
Back to top Go down
VWgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
VWgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 4:25 pm

Ok thanks...will try to keep all in mind during practice. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 4:50 pm

siaokao wrote:
My experience is similar to golfian. Was managing 100-120m for a while. Got a pro to correct my swing and immediately during that one session, I managed 150m. Now if I hit it right, I can do 160m on 7i.. Smile

Wah bro...you can turn pro liao la. Just one lesson " can do 150m on 7i ". After nearly 10 years, I can only managed 125/135m. I can hit 160m sometimes BUT only if I topped it la..pai seh lol! ROFL

titu
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 5:40 pm

Don't try too hard Smile
Back to top Go down
mi5trooper
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 7:41 pm

thank you.

HyBriD wrote:
mi5trooper wrote:
Today, i took out my iron and give it 5 shot each iron. i notice my 7 iron distance is only 70-80m (is this normal or below normal). the max distance i reach is 100m with 5 and 3 iron.

I must have done pretty badly and the old gentleman next to me hit further then me.

till now, my wood still is not able to measure. sigh...

back to practice again.

if you want to gain distance....

Do some core exercise. not weights.

Just core strengthening exercise.

or do some Boxing exercises drill

By solidifying your abs & legs.
You will gain power & stamina
Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
siaokao

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Tituman wrote:
siaokao wrote:
My experience is similar to golfian. Was managing 100-120m for a while. Got a pro to correct my swing and immediately during that one session, I managed 150m. Now if I hit it right, I can do 160m on 7i.. Smile

Wah bro...you can turn pro liao la. Just one lesson " can do 150m on 7i ". After nearly 10 years, I can only managed 125/135m. I can hit 160m sometimes BUT only if I topped it la..pai seh lol! ROFL

titu
Pro? no lah.. still cannot see the light. Actually, I also find that 150m shot difficult to believe (coz that session I only manage one good hit) so next morning I went to bishan range and after a while, was doing quite constant 140~150m. =P

Having a coach really helps, I gave up golf abt 7 years ago coz after a very basic course, I was picking up 'tips' here and there from frens and very soon developed plenty bad habits.. came to a point I felt my game was going no where and so gave up. This time I'm careful to make sure I get professional help to get my fundamentals right. Golf is such that some minor swing/address correction can make a huge difference to how our balls fly. Wink

Last edited by siaokao on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
golfian
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Bro we shared the same sentimental and fully agreed fundamental iv very important:)
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 9:50 pm

VWgolfer wrote:
Turbo wrote:
VWgolfer wrote:

I'm not too sure, but could it be that all the reminders and reminders kept replaying in your head so much so that you couldn't concentrate?

It happened to me once when I started learning.
- Theories
- Ball positioning
- Address positioning
- How far should I turn

It created so much distraction and I ended up topping every single ball in that afternoon's lesson and wasted 80 balls at the range.

Fast forward to 1 year+ after my lessons, I was at the Green with my kakis just last week. We reached this Par 3 about 134 yards. I must be crazy at that time, going against the better judgement of my caddy (who had only started working at the course 3 days ago) to use a 7, I'd told her to hand me an 8I.

Plunged the tee into the ground, balanced the ball and took a half-assed practice swing before addressing the ball. Stared at the ball and concentrated, before I knew it, I started on my backswing and gave the ball a good thump without thinking too much.

It took off in a straight overhead arch and touched the Green in a single shot to everyone's surprise. All my other kakis, mishit and took to the greenside bunker instead.

Of cos, the eventual result was a bogey since I took a 3-putt instead of a 2 as my putting is still pretty bad.

Sometimes not thinking about how you're going to execute the shot works. Thinking too much may be detrimental (at least to me). Try it!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Newtogolf,

Golf swing is a matter of muscle memory. It takes time to absorb each and every fundamentals into your muscle. Obviously it is tough for a beginner to remember everything in one breathe.

In the course, one should not think of mechanics. You should focus on where you want your ball to land and how you're gonna play the next shot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next