Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf Injury

Go down 
+27
Duval_S
aural
Juzme
chillipadi
Birdman
tookii
wilkang
D_Iceman
Khorkar
eiji
pinhigh
Tituman
Eltonjuan
Uncle Lau
shaugn
kopiO
first_timerz
skybobo
weesern
Start1993
jaketang
Right_sided_coach
Technospaz
S70B
mUAr_cHEe
sunny
nanohenry
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
nanohenry
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 7:50 am

Each time I come back from a game or driving range, my fingers joint (first 3 fingers of left hand and all from right hand) and left hip joint pain. Is this due to improper swing or sign of aging?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 8:04 am

Arthritis?
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 8:05 am

cannot comment without look at your swing and know how old u are.

but if fingers pain, most probably it might be wrong grip.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 8:15 am

nanohenry wrote:
Each time I come back from a game or driving range, my fingers joint (first 3 fingers of left hand and all from right hand) and left hip joint pain. Is this due to improper swing or sign of aging?

Depends....how old are you?

I used to have golf and tennis elbows but after going to a physio, I'm glad to say I'm 99.9% painfree.

Its all inflammation of the tendons.

Go see 1. If you need a contact, pm me.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 8:55 am

Sounds like tendinitis, which is not uncommon for golfers.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:02 am

nanohenry wrote:

If it is only something you experience after golfing, then it is safe to say that your technique is the cause. If done correctly, the swing should not have any ill effects on your body. Best to find out before you cause any long term damage
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:53 am

juz a question.....

suppose we were to hit down on the irons and practice on the mat....
i believe there will be impact on each shot.... if we were to say hit 100 balls... 3 times a week.... i feel it will definitely caused discomfort....

unless u r hitting of the turf....
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:18 am

jake
Yes if you are coming down too steep into impact it will cause discomfort....those mats have concrete underneath. With a shallower angle of attack, you will still compress the ball, just not such hard impact. Mostly with those that scoop the ball, it is a defensive reaction to coming in too steep as to stop them hitting down hard into the mat and injuring themselves. I could hit 1000 a day if I had the time without any pain. All comes back to swing path and angles
Back to top Go down
Start1993
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 12:03 pm

S70B wrote:
nanohenry wrote:

I used to have golf and tennis elbows but after going to a physio, I'm glad to say I'm 99.9% painfree.

Surprising, my distance and accuracy got better after I have tennis elbow. Muscle connecting the elbow and forearm very tight and tense. I believed that's sign of a good swing. I think left arm must be str from take-away thru to delivery. But, sore wrist and fingers are no-no i think.

Besides physio, any FOC method to alleviate tennis elbow?? Cold wrap eg?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 12:09 pm

Trigger fingers and sore wrists do happen to golfers too. That stems from people trying to hit too hard out of the rough or trying to maintain a flat left wrist thru impact.

Gripping too hard also is one of the main causes.

I learnt from my physio that treatment and ice wraps go hand-in-hand. Icing it just only lessens the pain and swelling but without the physio, the problem will return.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 2:40 pm

there is FOC method.... that is if you know how to do the stretches and exercises for the injuries.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 3:25 pm

S70B wrote:
Trigger fingers and sore wrists do happen to golfers too. That stems from people trying to hit too hard out of the rough or trying to maintain a flat left wrist thru impact.

Gripping too hard also is one of the main causes.

I learnt from my physio that treatment and ice wraps go hand-in-hand. Icing it just only lessens the pain and swelling but without the physio, the problem will return.
S70B, I kenna trigger finger
I think its because i grip too tight + I use stiff shaft and when contact is fact, the impact felt by my hand is too great

have since change to graphite and the condition is better now

Can you recommend me your physio
I have got steriod injection and inflamm pills but it doesn;t work and I dun want to go for surgery

Thanks bro
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 4:16 pm

skybobo,

soak your hands in warm water every morning to reduce the trigger.

Do not purposely 'trigger' as that will irritate the sheath covering the tendons even more and cause lots of inflammation.

Prolonged trigger fingers may cause scarring(and cause the sheath to stick to the tendon) and would require surgery.

Anti-inflammatory painkillers like nsaids etc may help slightly and steriods would as well but those are only temporary measures. If you do not take care, the swelling will be back after the effects wear off again,

I would suggest you lay off golf for a week or 2 to let the inflammation subside, soak in warm water every morning to ease the triggering effect during the day and ice in the evening to reduce the swelling. You may want to seek professional help before it is too late. Once scarring occurs, the only way out may be a surgery.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 4:43 pm

i oso dun go range too often....

not sure if got ppl feel like me..... dig nose tht time, the finger no strength, feel funny...
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 6:17 pm

Heh Sunny, thanks very much for your reply.
From your reply, seems you are very knowledgeable on this subject Smile

Unfortunately for me, I think its too late liao.
My trigger has more or less become permanent and I have learn to live with it. When I woke up, my left middle finger will feel very stiff. I cannot clench my fist tightly, my finger will get stuck.

But if I take a club and do a few swings, the stuck is gone and my finger is back to normal. After a round of golf, around prob an hour or so later, the stuck will come back.

I have seen the doc and he say no more striod or NSAIDs will help anymore. Only remedy is to go for surgery which is quite invasive I think.

So long as it does not affect my golf, I will just let it be
Back to top Go down
Start1993
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 6:21 pm

skybobo wrote:
Heh Sunny, thanks very much for your reply.
From your reply, seems you are very knowledgeable on this subject Smile

Unfortunately for me, I think its too late liao.
My trigger has more or less become permanent and I have learn to live with it. When I woke up, my left middle finger will feel very stiff. I cannot clench my fist tightly, my finger will get stuck.

But if I take a club and do a few swings, the stuck is gone and my finger is back to normal. After a round of golf, around prob an hour or so later, the stuck will come back.

I have seen the doc and he say no more striod or NSAIDs will help anymore. Only remedy is to go for surgery which is quite invasive I think.

So long as it does not affect my golf, I will just let it be

I thank you for this info. I'm sure many will benefit too. Golf is such a dangerous 'sport'.
Back to top Go down
first_timerz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 8:29 pm

OMG!!!

Shocked
affraid

Everyday , I was wondering why my last finger was always feeling painful...
Every morning , my last finger would 'curl' up like sotong...
& I would need to 'bend' him back...

Now , then I know it is called "Trigger finger"....

and to imagine I am still going to the range every alternative day w/o concern...

No

i dun like surgery...
Sad
Back to top Go down
nanohenry
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:50 pm

S70B wrote:
nanohenry wrote:

I am 44 now. Quite surprise this topic draw so much interest. I think likely is the warm up and some inflammation of the joints. I need to massage the fingers joints to feel better.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:04 pm

first_timerz wrote:
OMG!!!

Shocked
affraid

and to imagine I am still going to the range every alternative day w/o concern...

No

i dun like surgery...
Sad

your last finger is triggering cos you hold the clubs too tight. Feel the part about one cm below the last finger. The node is swelling and is restricting the tendons. That is the part that contacts the club. Do my advise and check your grip size and loosen the grip.
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:18 pm

one of my kakis also suffers from trigger finger...

he was treated with a cast on the finger to stretch the tendon, and it worked for him.
Back to top Go down
first_timerz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 7:30 am

sunny wrote:
first_timerz wrote:
OMG!!!

Shocked
affraid

No

i dun like surgery...
Sad

your last finger is triggering cos you hold the clubs too tight. Feel the part about one cm below the last finger. The node is swelling and is restricting the tendons. That is the part that contacts the club. Do my advise and check your grip size and loosen the grip.

Thanks Sunny..
Will do juz that... meanwhile , can still go driving range , rite? kekeke...
err... what u mean by 'check grip size'?

Question
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 7:37 am

All, if you need a Physio contact, check out:

Physionique
8 Claymore Hill #01-02 Claymore Point
Singapore 229572
Tel: 6734 0245

Ask for Christina Neo - A small-sized woman but strong as hell. Tell her Rex recommended you through the golf forum. She will also teach you some golf-related strength training and stretching exercises too.

Very knowledgeable lady.

She's also my coach's GF so you can talk golf to her during treatment. Smile
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 7:38 am

Wrong size could make you grip harder
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 8:20 am

sunny wrote:
first_timerz wrote:
OMG!!!

Shocked
affraid

No

i dun like surgery...
Sad

I also suffer from trigger finger... My pinky on the left hand Sad What I've done these days is to loosen my grip and not to exert too much force. This has helped reduce the stress on my hands. However, playing-wise, with a loose grip, the club face tends to open up upon impact resulting in a fade/slice. Any suggestions? Should I compensate?
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 11:44 am

Technospaz wrote:

I also suffer from trigger finger... My pinky on the left hand Sad What I've done these days is to loosen my grip and not to exert too much force. This has helped reduce the stress on my hands. However, playing-wise, with a loose grip, the club face tends to open up upon impact resulting in a fade/slice. Any suggestions? Should I compensate?

I think its the other way round, loose grip closes the face more and tight grip leaves the face open too long.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Golf Injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Injury   Golf Injury I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf Injury
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next