Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Impact Stik Review

Go down 
+28
angeldogleslie
sob
pReTeNd3r
riverdeity
NewBie_SS
Tituman
nrafee
frosTEE
mervyntan
Birdman
daveaha
golfer
jaketang
ghoonk
mUAr_cHEe
bluejoe
Gray
chinchiachun
Lamts18
4dtoto
siaw8
porkycurry
Technospaz
shotah
Ssquirrel
DGman
S70B
rocky
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 12:48 am

Impact Stik Review
This review is for the Impact Stik (Yamanigolf)
(Reviewed on 29th June 2009 by Rocky)

Impact Stik Review ImpactStik_0006

Company Profile (http://www.kellion.com/about.html)
Kellion Corporation is a privately owned company based in Rochester, New York. We are innovators. We "hear a different drummer." The heart of the enterprise is a questing spirit that sets aside assumptions to investigate freely the operating factors of physical movement from the standpoint of uses and goals. The forthcoming understanding is then married with mechanical inventiveness to create cutting-edge methods that foster qualitative leaps in performance.

Impact Stik Review ImpactStik_0007

(Yamanigolf is supposed to be their Japanese branch, but please correct me if I am wrong)

Patent Pending
Impact Stik Review ImpactStik_0014

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090036279

One of the most important parts of the device was invented by a gentleman named Yong Woo Kim. His name is listed in the patent document (link above). The important part of the device in discussion is the shock absorber inside the ImpactStik.

Inside the ImpactStik, there is a mass and spring attached to it. When the ImpactStik is swung, the mass will move towards the end of the stick. When the spring retracts the mass, the mass will recoil violently and, according to the Patent document, "deliver an unpleasant impact shock to the hands of the person exercising and can break parts of the (ImpactStik) when repeated."

"The remedy for this problem is a recoil shock absorber."
The shock absorber allows a "gradually resisted stop that spreads out and therefore diminishes the impact of the recoil movement of the spring and mass."

"The result makes exerciser more comfortable to use and more durable in accommodating countless numbers of exercising swings and accompanying recoils. From the point of view of the person exercising, the recoil shock absorber makes exerciser feel smoother and more comfortable to make the exercise both agreeable and effective in improving a golfer's swing."

Impact Stik Review ImpactStik_0016

In short, if you feel uncomfortable or unpleasant after you perform a swing with the ImpactStik, it may have been damaged. This article also tells us not to damage the tip of the ImpactStik (i.e., do not hit it on the floor!)

What's it supposed to do?
"This fact-that the golf swing is performed mostly by the unconscious mind-is the reason why it is so difficult to learn."

The objective of the ImpactStik is to "program" the golf-specific muscles. These muscles mainly include the wrists, forearms, arms, shoulders and hips. In terms of weight, the ImpactStik is about twice as heavy as a regular golf club. This helps the golfer develop the golf muscles necessary to perform a golf swing. Repetitive swinging of the Impact Stik will subconsciously develop tempo, rhythm and also improve balance during the golf swing. This is what Kellion calls Neuromuscular Conditioning or "Muscle Memory" Reprogramming.

How to use: As a Training Aid
When the golfer swings the ImpactStik, the weight inside will snap forward on the downswing and give you the sensation of a proper release. Release, in essence, is the point of impact. It is where the club head makes contact with the ball and launches the ball into the air.
Other than simulating the release, the weight also serves another purpose - instantaneous feedback. In all training aids, the most important aspect is instantaneous feedback. With the crackling of the weight, the golfer will be able to tell immediately if he or she was accelerating through the bottom of the swing arc.
Using this simple device, there are also a few drills in the manual that you could refer to. These drills aid specific aspects of the golf swing, such as improve left side muscles, right side muscles, tempo, timing and also helps loosen wrist muscles.

How to use: Keeping warmed up
The ImpactStik is an excellent device for getting your muscles warmed up or to keep them warm while waiting for tee off. Gary Player once commented that hitting a driver requires a lot of energy. Yet, many golfers go up to the first tee, with little or no warm up, and try to tee off with a driver. With the ImpactStik, you can expect to shorten your warm up routine.
A Golf game is full of surprises. Sometimes it's bad weather. Sometimes there might be delays during the game. No worries. Be it bad weather days or after the break from the first 9 holes, you can use the ImpactStik to warm up your muscles before continuing with rest of your game.

So, who is it for?
Anybody! The beauty of this device is that it caters to a wide range of golfers. Although the ImpactStik comes in 3 versions (Pro, Normal and Light), the normal version is good enough for most golfers. If you find that you are unable to click the ImpactStik, choke down on the ImpactStik and swing again. Choking down changes the centre of gravity of the stick, allows you to make a shorter swing, which makes it easier to get to proper impact position. Choking up, on the other hand, requires a bigger and longer swing and activates the hips, shoulders and chest muscles.

The Pro version is the same except that the spring inside is stronger than the normal version. From reading the patents, I would infer that the shock absorber is also of higher grade. That is why there is a metal cap at the top instead of a rubber one in the case of the normal version. The Light version (some call it the KN version) would probably suit junior golfers.

Rain? No worries!
Unlike some other training sticks that I have reviewed before, this stick is weather-resistant. It does not have any electronic device inside it and fits snugly into the golf bag. On a bad weather day, and if you are a hack like me, worrying about some training aid is the last thing on my mind!

Noise
The ImpactStik is a considerably noisy device. Even when one is at the range, the crackling of the ImpactStik is still able to draw a few eyeballs. At night, it's worse. If you have light sleepers at home, please be considerate. (I don't have to say that, golfers ARE considerate people after all!)

Grip
The large grip is a fantastic grip. However, due to the weight of the ImpactStik, the grip produces much more friction than a conventional club. In my personal experience, my glove suffered much heavier abrasions around the left thumb area after a few swings. So if you would like your gloves to last longer, swing without your gloves!

Impact Stik Review ImpactStik_0011

Warranty
To be advised

Value for money
The most important issue of all, is it worth the money?
Let me put it this way: Some of us easily spend $400 on a new driver. And how far do we hit them? Mostly, 200m. So that works out to be $2 per metre. I would say that if this device was a driver, then the returns would be $1 per metre. But bear in mind that this device also increases distance, improves ball striking and smoother tempo on all your other clubs.

Summary
Impact Stik Review ImpactStik_0019

Having said all the above, the ImpactStik is indeed an excellent training aid. It helps to warm up the muscles before tee-off, keep the muscles warmed after a break, increases distance, improves ball striking, develop smoother rhythm, keeps tempo in check and improves balance throughout the golf swing. Above all it is affordable and possesses all the necessary attributes for a good training aid. I would strongly recommend all golfers, young and old, hack or scratch, to give this wonderful device a try.

For more on the ImpactStik, please visit http://www.kellion.com/impactstik.html

Credits
Thanks to DGMan for the opportunity
To my Dad for picking up this fine piece of equipment

Last edited by rocky on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 12:58 am

Extremely thorough as always. Great job! Hooray
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 1:00 am

Thanks, mate.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 8:44 am

warranty is for a year and you get a one for one exchange. BFG is the distributor for Sg, Mal and Indonesia.

grips are available in case it wears out.

Rocky...solid piece of review, good background checks.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:42 am

Great review rocky...

So, is this ImpactStik legal to be in your bag and used during a stipulated round of golf?

I'm no rules expert, so need the help from the forumers.

Personally I think you can carry it in your bag, but not use it during a stipulated round of golf. ??

Because of Rule 14/3:
Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an unusual manner:
a. That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:48 am

What does the warranty covers?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:52 am

Good review, Rocky. Thanks!

PS. Mods, can we please have a separate section for reviews? Rocky's article is a great start. Lots of good pics and a well-presented write-up.
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:00 pm

Thank you DGMan, Ssquirrel, Technospaz for the compliments.

And thanks to all who have read the review. Hope you have enjoyed it. Feel free to post your comments.
Back to top Go down
porkycurry
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
porkycurry

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:09 pm

after reading i am tempted to buy. HELP
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:26 pm

A little something to share. Not anything to push people over the edge. I don't do anything of that sorts here. But hope you can spare some time to listen to my long grandfather story...

My Dad and I were at the range one weekend afternoon and we were in separate bays. So my Dad was just trying out the ImpactStik (he calls it the Magic Stik, btw).
In the next bay was this XMM who was a real beginner. You can see that she was struggling just to turn the shoulders on the back swing. But at least she made pretty good contact on the ball. As we all know, the rattling sound of the ImpactStik draws quite a lot of attention. And so it got the XMM curious. So she came over and started asking what it was. So after some explanation, my Dad asked her to try it.

Swish-crank! Swish-crank! Swish-crank!

Ball in front.

Boom! Perfect contact and extra 10m.

From two bays away as I watched what went on, I could tell that the XMM was not at all impressed with the ImpactStik. That was because she obviously did not know what was going on. But from a third person's perspective, I knew that there was something different about this toy...

If you haven't tried it, you have to try it. And I don't mean try it at BFG. It doesn't work like that. Bring it to the greens for a round. If raining/slow flight in front/after first 9 break/lost tempo/nothing to do, let the ImpactStik work it's magic!
Back to top Go down
porkycurry
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
porkycurry

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:29 pm

Which range is that? I want to go see that XMM Smile
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 10:07 pm

Money Face Golf Club. (MBGC)
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 10:10 pm

I'm v keen to pick up the IS now.

And yes... the more I think about it, the more I realize that MBGC has quite a few XMMs.
Back to top Go down
porkycurry
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
porkycurry

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:23 pm

Tomorrow I will cheong MBGC man.
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:45 pm

Pls... MBGC has the most XMM... still rem this ger with beautiful legs and butt in the bay just infront of me Twisted Evil

i think, if u r serious about ur golf... better not go MBGC.. eyes will be wandering all the time... keke
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:47 pm

Siaw8, now everyone knows why you claim to be such a bad golfer - you can hardly keep your eyes on your own ball! lol!
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:49 pm

Basket.. ppl review impactStik.. u all veer the topic off course!!! Evil or Very Mad Mad

ps..btw, what is a good time and which level/bays good to beo XMM? cyclops
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:49 pm

Its not claim... its a fact... maybe i go to mbgc too often liao... eyes always wandering... even if there is no xmm.. hmm.. come to think of it.. maybe thats why my golf never improves... thanks for the tips afro
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 12:04 am

Considering all factors, Money Face G... oh sorry... MBGC will have the most ladies because of its proximity to locations such as Shenton Way, Suntec City and ECP. Moreover, it is the cleanest and newest range in the whole of this little red dot.

I also noticed that many range wardens and range attendants actually stand near the buggy parking area to watch the ladies practice. So ladies, if you are reading this, don't wear a short skirt when you are on the 2nd floor near the academy.

But gentlemen, seriously...

Have you tried the ImpactStik?

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 12:14 am

this forum is really great...it makes you find out things you never know...

like the best place to see the singapore fireworks....eerrr.....i mean flyer....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 9:04 am

rocky wrote:
Thank you DGMan, Ssquirrel, Technospaz for the compliments.

And thanks to all who have read the review. Hope you have enjoyed it. Feel free to post your comments.

Bro Rocky, after you post all the reviews, where got anymore comment, all doubts and questions answered. See now all happy man, thread talking abt XMM liao..hehehe

3 cheers for your review...
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 9:07 am

Technospaz wrote:

And yes... the more I think about it, the more I realize that MBGC has quite a few XMMs.

See Tehnospaz, you got new excuse to go to the den to see Frostee liao..
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 10:56 am

4dtoto wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

See Tehnospaz, you got new excuse to go to the den to see Frostee liao..

Actually, I've been to the Den and had a nice chat with Frostee already. I knew she was a good golfer - I just didn't know she was tournament-quality golfer Smile Some more she watched me swing the ball to test swingspeed - that's all the more embarrassing now Sad

IS... IS... IS...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 1:01 pm

For those that have not tried the Impact Stik, there is a pro and kids version on offer too. DGMan can advise on which one suits you or your family. Wink
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 1:05 pm

I tried the normal and pro variants and prefer the pro. It's better weighted, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Impact Stik Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact Stik Review   Impact Stik Review I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Impact Stik Review
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next