Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Left Elbow / Arm

Go down 
+2
Lamts18
Winston
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:39 am

Hi All,

Just another question I have.

I am a right handed player and been taking lessons for about 2 months. Upon impact and follow through, 8/10 times, I find that I "break" my left elbow just before impact, Therfore I end up "pulling" the club head on an "out/in" plane. which always causes a slice..no matter how hard I try, it feels very awkward at follow through.

I have tried various methods to cure it. Example placing a tee 1 foot infront of the ball and try to "throw the club head" towards it after impact. I have some success with the shorter irons but totally cannot make it with my woods and driver.

Are there any excercises to recommed that can help in curing this problem??? even my coach can't seem to come up with a viable solution.... White Flag
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:42 am

Winston wrote:
Hi All,

Just another question I have.

Upon impact and follow through, 8/10 times, I find that I "break" my elbow just before impact, Therfore I end up "pulling" the club head on an "out/in" plane. which always causes a slice..no matter how hard I try, it feels very awkward at follow through.

I have tried various methods to cure it. Example placing a tee 1 foot infront of the ball and try to "throw the club head" towards it after impact. I have some success with the shorter irons but totally cannot make it with my woods and driver.

Are there any excercises to recommed that can help in curing this problem??? White Flag

See a golf pro ... no point trying yourself in my humble opinion .. you may pick up another hard to correct swing flaw ..
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:47 am

agree with mr lam.

another way is to video your swing and post it up for us to see, then we can roughly tell u what is wrong. its hard to know what is going wrong just by reading your description cos the golf swing is made up of numerous parts, and if one mistake can be caused by numerous reasons.

but i agree with mr lam, see a pro. mr lam, when are u seeing your pro again? i going on monday..
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:51 am

mervyntan wrote:
agree with mr lam.

another way is to video your swing and post it up for us to see, then we can roughly tell u what is wrong. its hard to know what is going wrong just by reading your description cos the golf swing is made up of numerous parts, and if one mistake can be caused by numerous reasons.

but i agree with mr lam, see a pro. mr lam, when are u seeing your pro again? i going on monday..

Haha ... good for you ... but i thought you going tomorrow ... Razz
next week will be busy for me and i also need more time to train on my own to ingrain the P series ..
scared coach will puke when he see no improvement Embarassed
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:52 am

u guys goin to the same pro? how is it?
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:00 am

Thanks for the replies...but I am seeing a pro already...we have both indentified the problem but have an issue on coming up with a solution. I am going to get measured next week at a pro shop. Maybe I can get a copy of my Swing from them and post here.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:04 am

Winston wrote:
Thanks for the replies...but I am seeing a pro already...we have both indentified the problem but have an issue on coming up with a solution. I am going to get measured next week at a pro shop. Maybe I can get a copy of my Swing from them and post here.

Hmmm .. did he give you some drills to practice on to correct .. Pls elaborate on what you mean by having an issue on coming up with a solution ... Question
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:07 am

Lamts18 wrote:
mervyntan wrote:
agree with mr lam.

Haha ... good for you ... but i thought you going tomorrow ... Razz
next week will be busy for me and i also need more time to train on my own to ingrain the P series ..
scared coach will puke when he see no improvement Embarassed

mr lam, think he is sick of me.. he has been seeing my face daily for the last few days... he is sick of me already, so i think better give him a break from my monster face tomorrow... and i will continue on monday.. haha..

anyway don't worry about it lah, sure got improvement one lah.. all it takes is some practise...
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:10 am

How can that be .... affraid such a cute face that can melt any damsel's heart Razz
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:13 am

hey mr lam, MT, how's this pro tht u guys are seeing? good?
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:18 am

Yes good ... but me no good student so .... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:20 am

very good pro.. highly recommended..
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:22 am

Lamts18 wrote:
Yes good ... but me no good student so .... Embarassed

Correction .... Not good but very good ... make it so simple ... Smile
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:25 am

guys, it's tendy golf right?
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 2:08 am

hi Lam,

He has given me a drill. he places 2 rubber tees on the mat and gets me to strike both at the same time. The tees are about 6 inches about. I am supposte to hit the first one on impact and on the follow through, I have to hit the second one also. This one I can do at the range but I am looking at something which I can do at home.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Alan

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:54 am

Hi Winston,

Try to swing a rope (about the length of the club that you intend to use). The idea of the exercise is to swing the rope in circular motion and in a smooth flow without snap it. If you bend elbow (or Wrist) just around the impact point, the tail end of the rope will turn quick & upward and hit the player.

Try it.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi Alan,

Thanks. Will give it a try. Does the rope have to be of a certain thickness and material??
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 5:21 pm

Alan wrote:
Hi Winston,

Try to swing a rope (about the length of the club that you intend to use). The idea of the exercise is to swing the rope in circular motion and in a smooth flow without snap it. If you bend elbow (or Wrist) just around the impact point, the tail end of the rope will turn quick & upward and hit the player.

Try it.

Sounds like a good drill but I'm not sure I'm picturing it correctly. You're suggesting that the golfer should swing the rope in the same fashion as a club? Any video of this?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Alan

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi Winston,

The rope has to be of certain weight (like skipping rope) so that you are able to swing it at one end (tie a knot at the tail end to give you a better result). A electric cable wire (flexible one) will be ok as well.

& To Technopaz,

Yes, the idea is to swing the rope as a golf club (of course there are different !!! I need not elaborate). I used it on some of my students who has the same problem.

Sorry I do not think it is appropriate to use the student video at the forum without their prior knowledge. So you may need to PM me if you need further help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Left Elbow / Arm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left Elbow / Arm   Left Elbow / Arm I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Left Elbow / Arm
Page 1 of 1