Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tennis Elbow from golf................

Go down 
+14
edtv75
cglim
Stanix
GolfMad62
kevlee69
DP
Khorkar
weesern
jason.koh.54966
swine
mariateo
KCL
angeldogleslie
Glenn.Lee
18 posters
AuthorMessage
Glenn.Lee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Tennis Elbow from golf................ Empty
PostSubject: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 6:24 pm

I think I have tennis elbow from a bad swing and now my left elbow hurt like a bi*ch. Anyone had this before and any fast cure?
Back to top Go down
angeldogleslie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angeldogleslie

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Glenn.Lee wrote:
I think I have tennis elbow from a bad swing and now my left elbow hurt like a bi*ch. Anyone had this before and any fast cure?

i guess the only quick cure is to take a rest. i know it is gonna be tough but perhaps seeing a sinseh might help.

i also went through this patch when i first started out. Smile

cheers!
Back to top Go down
KCL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
KCL

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Rest definitely helps. I have both golfer and tennis elbow (right side). I think it's from the impact from the unyielding range mats.
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 8:03 pm

I think rest helps. But I have seen my friends using the colorful tapes. ( phiten/kt tapes) ... I go to this guy at boon kheng. He will crack your bones... But it ease the pain a little.
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 9:02 pm

I bought a Philips infra red heat treatment device.  $59. Recovering well after 1 week. Works for me.  You might want to give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 10:06 pm

Take rest, likely due to impact on the range mat before hitting ball.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 10:22 pm

Rest and stretch.

normally tennis/golfers elbow does not happen due to one bad swing... it could be due to too much shock for your forearms. once the pain goes away, it would be good for you to strengthen your forearms.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 11:38 pm

weesern wrote:
Rest and stretch.

normally tennis/golfers elbow does not happen due to one bad swing... it could be due to too much shock for your forearms. once the pain goes away, it would be good for you to strengthen your forearms.
 +10000000000000 likes.
Back to top Go down
DP
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 9:27 am

Just to share my experince - I have the same problem with both tennis and golf elbow on my right hand. Tried the following over the last 2 months.

1. Taping - no effect. Temporary relieve.
2. Acupture treatment from Eu Yen San - feel numbness during treatment but pain came back after few days.
3. Electric shock pad treatment - was introduced to this shop in Chinatown claiming it works wonder for his stiff shoulder and tennis elbow. Went there for 2 treatments but did not help for my case.
4. Chinese Sensei - release blood treatment. This was the latest treatment I did a week ago. Was very painful for the initial few days but now seem like the pain is lesser. Still monitoring but personnally think this is the best treatment I received so far.

Just a caveat - I did not really stop playing golf completely during all these treatment. Probably that why my recovery is taking so long Smile
Back to top Go down
Glenn.Lee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 1:46 am

Yes it didn't happened with only a bad swing.....Not a good golfer just started playing again after 6 years. Went to the range couple of times for a month and now have a tennis elbow....

Thank you all very much for the recommendation. After reading all your good commends I think will rest first and see how after another week. Wink
Back to top Go down
kevlee69
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kevlee69

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 8:39 am

Glenn.Lee wrote:
Yes it didn't happened with only a bad swing.....Not a good golfer just started playing again after 6 years. Went to the range couple of times for a month and now have a tennis elbow....

Thank you all very much for the recommendation. After reading all your good commends I think will rest first and see how after another week. Wink
 Hi Glenn,
Go to this link and read : http://p-ortho.com/shoulder-elbow-services/tennis-elbow-and-golfers-elbow-lateral-and-medial-epicondylitis/
Take care bro.
Back to top Go down
GolfMad62
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
GolfMad62

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 9:58 am

The possible reason for your injury is your swing has stretched tendons that have been dormant for some time. rest for a week then wear a elbow brace which will assist in supporting the elbow while your tendons and joints adjust to your new exercise routine. This injury is quite common when you go from regular flex to stiff or extra stiff shafts as there is less give.
Back to top Go down
Stanix
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Stanix

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 10:09 am

had my fair share of TE....
Reali need plenty of rest to recover..

Take care n swing safe, folks... woof
Back to top Go down
cglim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
cglim

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 10:16 am

I too suffered the same condition about 6 months ago. It was due to having a very tight grip, wrong hand position. The condition is not easy to get rid of. I did 2 acupuncture treatments, then used an electric massager frequently. I had to rest for 1 month. It also allowed me to unlearn the bad habids, focus on the correct setup.
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 5:05 pm

DP wrote:
Just to share my experince - I have the same problem with both tennis and golf elbow on my right hand. Tried the following over the last 2 months.

2. Acupture treatment from Eu Yen San - feel numbness during treatment but pain came back after few days.
3. Electric shock pad treatment - was introduced to this shop in Chinatown claiming it works wonder for his stiff shoulder and tennis elbow. Went there for 2 treatments but did not help for my case.
4. Chinese Sensei - release blood treatment. This was the latest treatment I did a week ago. Was very painful for the initial few days but now seem like the pain is lesser. Still monitoring but personnally think this is the best treatment I received so far.

Just a caveat - I did not really stop playing golf completely during all these treatment. Probably that why my recovery is taking so long Smile
 Release blood sounds scary. Can u share how is it done? U mean the sensei actually slit the skin and let out the blood??? affraid
Back to top Go down
cglim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
cglim

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 7:21 pm

mariateo wrote:
DP wrote:
Juo share my experve the same problem with both tennis and golf elbow on my right hand. Tried the following over the last 2 months.

Release blood sounds scary. Can u share how is it done? U mean the sensei actually slit the skin and let out the blood??? affraid
 Well, if its like what my wife underwent with the sensei for the treatment of her nagging foot pain, it went something like this... The bad blood was a blockage in her foot's vein, so the sensei used a large needle to puncture the vein and squeeze the bad blood or clot out. Damn painful according to her, but highly effective. Pain was forever gone after her puncture wound was healed.
Back to top Go down
edtv75
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 11:48 am

Get the tendon brace. It secures the tendon to disallow excessive stretching whilst letting it heal. Golfers usually get golf elbow unless you push for power using right hand weak grip.
Back to top Go down
Glenn.Lee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 12:32 pm

edtv75 wrote:
Get the tendon brace. It secures the tendon to disallow excessive stretching whilst letting it heal. Golfers usually get golf elbow unless you push for power using right hand weak grip.
 May I know what's a tendon brace and where do I buy them from?
Back to top Go down
edtv75
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 12:47 pm

There are many type. But bet are those that comes with a plastic strip that position directly on top of the tendon.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Tennis Elbow from golf................ TenexTennis Elbow from golf................ Tenex2Tennis Elbow from golf................ Tenex-ElbowShockAbsorber
this might help... Tenex.. can get from Torque Golf or Amazon
Back to top Go down
DP
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 1:53 pm

haha - no la. They use acupuncture needle to poke around the area and use a vacum cup to suck out the blood. Sight pain during the poking, and the aftertreatment is like having a bad bruise.

mariateo wrote:
DP wrote:

Back to top Go down
dtan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
dtan

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 2:30 pm

Got this Golf Elbow injury a few years ago......and this is one injury that take me quite a while to have it totally cured. The first thing that remind me is the Pain......I have it on my left arm....the pain is so bad that I can't even lift a cup of coffee. When to see a TCM sensei, he recommended that after a few session on needle and blood release remedy the pain will go away. Ok....after a few session it does few better but the tingling pain is still there. So after about 5 session I stop going back because it don't seem to take away all the pain....I still try to play some golf but is so annoying because the pain affect the game. Finally I decided to totally stop playing for 6 months and let the injury cure by itself and it really work. After 6 long month the pain finally gone and I can enjoy the game better now.
Back to top Go down
http://davidtnm@yahoo.com
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 4:29 pm

An avid golfer, not a doctor by any means, so apply plenty of salt please.

It is correctly stated by the OP that it was caused by a bad swing. So, logically,

Short term cure - lay off the bad swing.

Long term cure - learn a good swing.

hinge joint  (hnj)
A joint, such as the elbow, in which a convex part of one bone fits into a concave part of another, allowing motion in only one plane.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Hinge+joints

Per the definition above, the elbow can only move in one plane. When I stress it out of plane, or through repeated impact when the elbow is not properly aligned, is when injuries tend to occur.

Pain is a good swing instructor for me. It usually means I am doing something wrong in my swing. It's when the pain is ignored that gets me into trouble.

Used to spend money on massage, expensive Japanese bandage, ointment, magic magnetic golf bracelet, etc, until I realised...

Pain = symptom
Swing = cause

Once I realised that, instead of spending money indefinitely and perpetually on the symptom,  I addressed the cause and put away my phiten ointment, bandage, bracelet, etc for good.

Enjoy the game in good health.

God bless.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 9:41 pm

Per week, I play at least two rounds 18 holes and another 2 to 3 rounds of evening 9 holes per week.  And they are all walking golf. 

I do not experience any pain or injuries even If I were to hit 2 - 4 buckets of balls at the range.  The most I will get is muscle soreness, which is Very rare now.

The golf swing should not be the cause of any injuries.  If you are getting injured, then you are definitely not swinging right. 

I was fortunate to have known a friend who was a Teaching Pro. I started lessons with him when I decided to pick up the game. That was one of the wisest decisions I have made as I was taught a proper swing which did not cause any discomfort.

I agree with Lee. Get a qualified instructor to teach you a stress free swing that you can rely on until you are 100 years old.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tennis Elbow from golf................   Tennis Elbow from golf................ I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tennis Elbow from golf................
Page 1 of 1