Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pros - How do you control backspin?

Go down 
+15
lennylim
kinkipet
art
jimmychoo
Khorkar
TSL
Technospaz
jaketang
mervyntan
Ssquirrel
shotah
Right_sided_coach
Lamts18
mUAr_cHEe
S70B
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Pros - How do you control backspin? Empty
PostSubject: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:39 am

I never really had this problem playing in Sg and M'sian courses as the greens are quite sandy and unreceptive.

However here in Florida, I seem to have an issue controlling backspin for my short iron approaches. These Tifeagle greens are smooth and slick. Most of the greens at the course I play have the green sloping from back to front and this gets tough when I have a short iron in my hands. I tried hitting it a little further behind the flag to cater for the spin but I wouldn't have an idea if the ball is going to spin back 5 or 15ft. It also is more difficult if the pin is tucked at the back.

Any pros here have advice on technique for the drop and stop shot >100yds? I wouldn't want to change my wedges nor the ball type I am playing to less spinny ones. I'm sure there is a way to get over this 'problem'.

Its fun the 1st few times seeing it but after a while, those putts are getting longer and that is quite demoralising.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:41 am

ha nor ha nor.

me too.

bad problem hor? spin so much.

Razz

but seriously, I would like to know the solution to this too.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:43 am

If I have the chance (when the course is not so crowded) I will take a couple of videos of my shots landing on the green. They are zipping more than I require them to and its not fun anymore.

Last edited by S70B on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:46 am

Sir , drop Joey a message and see what he says .... meanwhile, happy spinning Smile
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:46 am

Sounds like a plan.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:48 am

Hey Rex
The backspin comes from the speed the club is moving at. To reduce the spin you need to reduce the club head speed. A shallower angle of attack will also help. Also vary the club - instead of 56 deg drop back to p/w so ball comes in lower and releases up to the hole. I agree it is cool to see the ball spin back but it is frustrating when it ends up too far from the hole.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:56 am

RSC,

I have tried that. It is especially apparent when it is into a headwind.

I did try a PW punch or a shallow 3/4 swing for a 95m shot. Sometimes it works and stops, sometimes it doesn't and still spins quite abit.

I did see a tip by Nick Faldo about rolling the wrists after impact to reduce it but it didn't seem to work too.

I was just wondering if there are other methods to do it like ball position, cut off finish etc that can help lessen it.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 11:02 am

Errr .... if i may humbly suggest , check with my Master SS ... sure his TSS has something .... Razz
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:18 pm

It sounds like angle of attack is too steep. Try to feel you are not hinging the wrists on backswing (less lag on the way down). This will give more of a sweeping type of arc. You say you do not want to change balls, but this may be something you need to consider. It can only be angle of attack and club head speed that is creating the spin. Without seeing your swing it is hard to comment accurately however.
Pros - How do you control backspin? Void10
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:22 pm

As for ball position, Too far back will increase the angle of attack and spin rate. Cut off will not help either as clubhead speed will be too fast.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:28 pm

k

I will post some vids up tmr morning during my range session.

Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:04 pm

The last time when I had this problem was with a certain type of wedges. The only way that work for me is that i end my shot below my waist and nothing more. I think RSS advice on the reducing club head speed also make sense as if i were to end my shots somewhere less than half swing, i will tend to slow down as allowing me to control my end point.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 9:12 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
Errr .... if i may humbly suggest , check with my Master SS ... sure his TSS has something .... Razz
TSS say: Hit Hard! Look Up! hahhaa Very Happy

Or else play the ball slightly more forwards to promote a less descending/sharper angle of attack..and think soft hands/less Cock.. (hahaha sounds like RSC; but this is what lamts18 and I learnt in ChiangMai early this year)... albino
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 9:47 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:

Or else play the ball slightly more forwards to promote a less descending/sharper angle of attack..and think soft hands/less Cock.. (hahaha sounds like RSC; but this is what lamts18 and I learnt in ChiangMai early this year)... albino

I forgot how to cock and the hands hard already ... so another trip to ChiangMai for refresher course is good .... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:29 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:

I forgot how to cock and the hands hard already ... so another trip to ChiangMai for refresher course is good .... Embarassed

wah.. there are 2 words inside there that make me misunderstand...
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:38 pm

mervyntan wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:

wah.. there are 2 words inside there that make me misunderstand...

Then join us in Chiangmai la... lai lai lai .... Razz Sawadee ....
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:43 pm

wow backspin.... something i have yet to experience it yet... Sad

but do read somewhere tht the pro's do limit their follow thru to control the spin....
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 10:04 am

This is a series of shots inside 125yds. I do not do anything different on the course:

PW 125yds

PW 115yds

AW 100yds

AW 85yds

LW 70yds
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 10:21 am

Ssquirrel wrote:
...play the ball slightly more forward to promote a less descending/sharper angle of attack..and think soft hands/less Cock.. (hahaha sounds like RSC; but this is what lamts18 and I learnt in ChiangMai early this year)... albino

Tried that. Tend to catch it a little heavy sometimes if I put it more forward. Need to practice it more. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 10:53 am

Rex, I noticed that the ball is placed towards the center or slightly closer to your left foot. Is this intentional for your short game shots, i.e. to obtain backspin?

I ask because traditionally, the shorter the club, the further to the right the ball should be. At least that's what I thought.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 11:14 am

Nope. Thats what I do for my standard iron shots when I am not trying to vary height nor trajectory.

Here is my stock 7 iron shot. My ball position is the same :

There are a few schools of thought when it comes to where you position your ball for your clubs but I am a believer that it doesn't change in relation to your left foot. Its your right foot that moves back as you widen your stance as the club gets longer so it gives you the illusion that the ball is more forward than normal.

Of course, I do play the ball back to the centre or slightly right of centre if I'm trying to hit a punch but thats when I'm trying to hit the ball lower.

Last edited by S70B on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 11:16 am

Right. Thanks, Rex!! Sounds like a good tip. I'll try that next.

Great swing, btw!!
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks...it still doesn't solve the mystery for me on how to control my spin. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 12:23 pm

It is definitely too steep angle of attack producing the spin.

Pros - How do you control backspin? Rex110

Pros - How do you control backspin? Void10

This amount of lag is great for Driver and full swings and will produce alot of power. I am sure you hit the driver quite long. I can also tell from the divot that you are in a bit steep. If you eliminate the amount of lag, your divot will be alot shallower and less spin will result. By the way, nice swings!
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 12:30 pm

Thanks mate. Tough to try and change that after swinging like this for quite awhile.

Just finished watching the PGA playoffs and I think I should try and visualise 'Steve Stricker' with less wrist and lag for these shots.

Thanks for the quick analysis!

....More Steve, less Sergio......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pros - How do you control backspin?   Pros - How do you control backspin? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pros - How do you control backspin?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next