Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????

Go down 
+6
ChrisD
S70B
golf_snowman
yanhaotiong
daveaha
alvin7379
10 posters
AuthorMessage
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? Empty
PostSubject: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 10:21 am

Somehow I always find it amusing when I get to see someone hit a golf ball that can spin backwards on the green for 5-10 feet. Been doing trial and error on different ways to hit that elusive backspin but to no avail.

My last game at MBGC, there was one hole where I was left with 90m to the pin. The ball was on a slight uphill lie and I took out my 48° wedge for a 3/4 swing. Just my normal usual swing and the moment the ball left the clubface, I could feel there was a difference (from my usual wedge shots)

I can feel the ball being compressed and grooves on my clubface were grinding against the surface of the ball creating an exceptional amount of spin. The clubface did not go under the ball (as I have expected to create spin), instead... it hit down against the turf... compressing and grinding it at the same time; leaving a nice divot along the way.

It went straight and upon landing on the green... took 2 bounce and started spinning backwards for a good 5 feet (away from the flag though -_-''')!!! This is probably the best best feeling I have had since I started golf...

The feeling of anticipation from a good shot... knowing exactly how the ball will respond (some people will call it control)... and looking at the ball coming back on the green as though it has a life on its own... ohhhh.....

eh... in case some of you may be wondering... this feeling IS NOT better than sex... but it is close!

lol!

But my question is... how the hell did I do it???? Anyone knows how to hit a backspin... consistently??? My addiction to golf just got worst.... Laughing

p.s.
Titleist Spin Milled Wedges rocks!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 10:24 am

Ur groove is illegal for play now. Please change with the lesser groove wedge Smile

kekekekekek
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
yanhaotiong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 10:28 am

use a screw driver to dig bigger grooves Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 10:28 am

daveaha wrote:
Ur groove is illegal for play now. Please change with the lesser groove wedge Smile

kekekekekek

Thanks for bringing me back to earth... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 10:31 am

alvin7379 wrote:
daveaha wrote:

kekekekekek

Thanks for bringing me back to earth... Crying or Very sad

haha.. aiyo.. don't be sad leh...
I know the feeling, I think I saw it once only, and it's not spin... only 'check'....

Have to learn the spin from spinmaster...
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 10:50 am

wow..uncle alvin can backspin liao ...good leh...haha !!

is it during the game with the 2 boys ?...

snowman
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 10:54 am

golf_snowman wrote:
wow..uncle alvin can backspin liao ...good leh...haha !!

is it during the game with the 2 boys ?...

snowman

Haha... yup yup... Smile
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:12 am

Its all in the wedges:

Backspin shots
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:17 am

Finally the backspin master has spoken.
Back to top Go down
katherinechiok
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
katherinechiok

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:18 am

wah... can backspin liao ah!!! can control beri well hor!!! hmmmmm... Suspect
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:19 am

Wah Bro S70B.... Shocked

*speechless*

You ought to understand that what you can do with ease is not = what I can manage! silent

And Ah Chiok... dun even think about it... -_-'
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:26 am

Type of grass, condition of greens, slope and hardness of surface will all be factors.

Don't expect it to happen on crappy , soggy and lousy courses.

Also, its easier to get some spin back into a headwind.

Its not by will all the time. Sometimes when you cater for it, it doesn't happen. Sometimes when you don't want it, it happens too. Its all about knowing the course, the conditions and the slope on the track you are playing.
Back to top Go down
golfbeginner
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
golfbeginner

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:29 am

S70B wrote:
Type of grass, condition of greens, slope and hardness of surface will all be factors.

Don't expect it to happen on crappy , soggy and lousy courses.

Also, its easier to get some spin back into a headwind.

Its not by will all the time. Sometimes when you cater for it, it doesn't happen. Sometimes when you don't want it, it happens too. Its all about knowing the course, the conditions and the slope on the track you are playing.

Sounds like the same theory in billard table cloth condition, if gd table and cloth cheers , the ball can "eat" more and talik longer (like backspin)....
Back to top Go down
katherinechiok
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
katherinechiok

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:30 am

alvin7379 wrote:
And Ah Chiok... dun even think about it... -_-'

Suspect we know wad to do already..

Thread Nice
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:39 am

Until now, I still do not know how to spin my ball back.
I was told that I am a low spin player.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:47 am

Hi Bro S70B... read through your thread about backspin... quite informative but I was not able to relate anything really cos I have never actually got my swing analyzed by a pro b4... So I wun know if I got any 'lag' in my swing or if I am going in steep enough.

But anyway... Nice thread... and perhaps make me wonder if I should start considering having my swing analyzed to better understand why I make the kind of shots I do on the course....

Thx for the info! Beer
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:53 am

I learnt alot about my swing, shotmaking and course conditions during my time in Florida.

I am now playing less spin than what I was doing a couple of months ago. Thats also because my swing is totally different from what it was when that thread started.

Go to a respectable pro. You won't be disappointed. Then, you might have a better fighting chance against "i". Wink
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 1:57 pm

i am actually surprised to know that 'uncle alvin' never hit a backspin before...

maybe he is as beginner as he claims to be... and not as buaya as i tot him to be...

but but but... still crushing those monster drives....
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 2:23 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
Hi Bro S70B... read through your thread about backspin... quite informative but I was not able to relate anything really cos I have never actually got my swing analyzed by a pro b4... So I wun know if I got any 'lag' in my swing or if I am going in steep enough.

But anyway... Nice thread... and perhaps make me wonder if I should start considering having my swing analyzed to better understand why I make the kind of shots I do on the course....

Thx for the info! Beer

uncle alvin

ur required condition will be totally diff to S70B lah

ur need the following 3 conditions to present

1. Play with boys
2. Boys outdrive you at tee off
3. Super stress up because had to admit u old liao

dnt believe, u try play with the boys again and i bet u can backspin the ball, from batam to JB..haha !!
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 1:20 pm

golf_snowman wrote:

uncle alvin

ur required condition will be totally diff to S70B lah

ur need the following 3 conditions to present

1. Play with boys
2. Boys outdrive you at tee off
3. Super stress up because had to admit u old liao

dnt believe, u try play with the boys again and i bet u can backspin the ball, from batam to JB..haha !!

Maybe playing with little girls may expedite the spin more... hum... din sound right.... anyway... you get the point... Wink

and MC gor gor... I guess I could be belonging to the category of:
Drive 280m in one stroke... but take another 5 strokes to cover the remaining 50m... keke...
White Flag
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:25 pm

alvin7379 wrote:

Maybe playing with little girls may expedite the spin more... hum... din sound right.... anyway... you get the point... Wink

and MC gor gor... I guess I could be belonging to the category of:
Drive 280m in one stroke... but take another 5 strokes to cover the remaining 50m... keke...
White Flag

Trait of buaya....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????   I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how???? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I hit my FIRST Backspin!!! But... how????
Page 1 of 1