Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range

Go down 
+16
antloh
ngjw89
tronos
smallhorse
Tituman
duffader
alvin7379
pushslice
weesern
chemicalpro
golf_snowman
Gray
asahi
Duval_S
ironstarz
Botak88
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Botak88
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range Empty
PostSubject: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 11:03 am

Hope all the pro aka liao jiao can enlighten me. Laughing

When I'm training at range, I just switch to any club as and when i like and wack.

Thus suddently i got curious . . . . am i doing it right? Neutral

Don't remb my coach mention anything on this

Is there a proper sequence for training ?? and there must be a valid reason for following this sequence right??

Example
start with driver ~30 balls;
longest to shortest wood ~ 30 balls;
longest iron to shortest ~ 30 balls each
chipping
if possible dan putting

Pls advise Sad
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 11:23 am

Personally i warm up with my short irons first. Then follow end end up driver. But on some days i will go in a sequence as per course

Driver -1 shot
Fairway 1 shot
Hybrid - 1 shot
Iron 6 / 7 1 shot
Wedge 1 shot

And mix and match the amount of iron shots required.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 11:29 am

If I ever go range....9 out of 10 times, I bring on one iron and one wedge...and 50 balls.....

1st 10 ball.....with wedge....low flight
2nd 10 ball...with wedge...full swing
3rd 10 ball..with iron.....chip and run
4th 10 ball...with iron punch shot
5th 10 ball....with iron, full swing

I do something like 3 swing simulation before hittting ball.....maybe thats why I don get good shots on course, as I mite have wasted my limited number of good swings
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 12:48 pm

No right or wrong on this bah.
What matters is whether you are comfortable and yr purpose of that particular range session.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 1:42 pm

I will take out driver first since this is first club we use on tee off.

Then 3 wood then hybrid then 7 iron, then wedge

Then start over but this time using difference irons.

Simulate playing on the course.

This sequence is for the day before a game.

for distance measuremnt I use diferent sequence
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 2:09 pm

my sequence are usually

1. Warm up shot : PW and #9 iron : easy swing each 10 balls
2. wedges : chipping, pitching practise with target
3. #9 iron - #8 iron - #7 iron - #6 iron : each 20 balls
4. #4 hybrid - #3 hybrid : each 30 balls
5. #3 wood tee-up : 20 balls
6. driver tee-up : 20 balls
7. go back to wedges again to finish up the rest of the balls
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 2:24 pm

1st 190 balls - driver
last 10 balls keep in bag

you know what's up!

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 2:54 pm

guess it depends on your objectives...

u can use 75 out of 100 for drills and the rest to incorporate the drills to your full swings...

if my objective is to practise my irons, the whole session will be on irons.

if I am working on directions, I will use my irons and aim at various target at the range... can even play a game with your frds and see who can get the ball nearer to the target.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 4:10 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
my sequence are usually

300 balls plus per session?

Steady bro! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 4:15 pm

pushslice wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
my sequence are usually

300 balls plus per session?

Steady bro! Very Happy

got 300 balls meh ?....let me count hor

20+40+80+60+20+20+40 err....less than 300 lah...

sometime i eat snake, only hit 10 balls for driver and 3 wood....haha !!
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 5:04 pm

I think range session is not so much about the sequence of practice... because social golfers like ourselves barely manage 1-2 ranges per week (sometime less) so maximizing our effort is important. No point going through the same sequence everytime when it does not help to focus on things that you might need to improve on.

A simple warm up involves some stretching and and hitting about 10-20 balls with your most comfortable club.

After that I believe we should have targeted practices. Meaning, identify weak areas during your last couple of games and work them on the range. Understanding how those mistakes are made and focus on what to do in order to rectify the problems.

Regardless of the club you hit, I believe there must always be a target. A SPECIFIC target and not just generally around a certain area. This will help you in gauging if you are hitting it correctly. Observe your ball flight and first UNDERSTAND what causes the pushs and pulls... hooks and slices... And rectify those swing faults to bring your ball straight on target again.

I think we should not hit to the same target for more than 20 balls because you will find yourself using your muscle memory instead of going through the usual practice swing, alignment, grip, focus etc...

Grade yourself after each shot... things like "Was I focusing on the line which I want my ball to launch"... "What distracted me during the swing"...

You might find yourself hitting 50 balls and feeling all sextisfied with the practice as compared to hitting 300 balls straight out...

Remember... it is call PRACTICE... not just hitting balls.... What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 5:13 pm

no wonder.. i always go range and whack whack whack.. until blisters come out... then call it a day.
Back to top Go down
Botak88
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 5:27 pm

good point there bro alvin7379.

important is to set objective rather dan whack blindly

well said bro cheers
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 5:39 pm

duffader wrote:
no wonder.. i always go range and whack whack whack.. until blisters come out... then call it a day.

Are you talking about me ??? Cus thats what I do. I go range just to sweat as I don't exercise at all. That is my exercise. And thats my problem because I deemed it an exercise, thats why if I have 200 balls, 190 will be used by the driver as that is the club where you can let go your *milk* strength to the maximum and thats where it caused me to sweat. Last 10 balls? BY now tired right? Take out a wedge and just go through the motion of hitting it...sigh. Now adays, don't even go to range. Want to die liao.... Laughing
Oh..by the way, what is practice ahhh.... lol!

titu
Back to top Go down
Botak88
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 5:45 pm

Warning affraid

bro duffader, u're avater makes me . . . . . . . pale

cannot like tt lar

i'm seeing "balls" liao . . . . but i like lol!
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 5:56 pm

I offer slightly different approaches after many practices.
On top of what alvin said, setting clear objectives are important goals, unless 6-7 cents are not an issue with you.

Assuming you have a full golf set including toothbrushes for cleaning ^^.
Assuming that you are at driving range only, no short game facilities.

If you started playing (Noob - like me)
Warm-up
1. Wedges - depending on your feel, Sand or Pitching ok, no point using both.
2. hit 10-20 or 30 balls. up to you. the PURPOSE here is to get into a rhythm.
Practice
1. choose a target - Use iron 7
2. choose a target - Use iron 9
3. if you can handle 1 and 2 above, use iron 5 next(else repeat practice 1 and 2)
4. check if hand still working, if so, move on to...
Drivers
1. practice ball position
2. practice trajectory
3. practice swing
4. Hope the ball go straight and repeat driver 1-3.

If you are a seasoned beginner
Warm-up
1. Sand Wedge
2. iron 9
Practice - objective here is to improve accuracy and irons distance mapping
1. Choose Target - Use Iron Pitching
2. Choose Target - Use Iron 9
3. Choose Target - Use Iron 8
4. Choose Target - Use Iron 7
5. Choose Target - Use Iron 5
6. Choose Target - Use Hybrid 4 or 3
Drivers
1. Long irons here or FW (depends really if you have a problem area in golf course)
2. 10.5 Driver distance and accuracy work-out.

If you are a single-handicapper.
Wear a over size T-shirt in the range that reads, "I am a single-handicapper, to be like me, stop staring, practice more"

geek geek
This is meant for those starting out golf and/or those needing a benchmark on what to do when you need a regime on the driving range.

Bring drinks, cold towel and enjoy. Other people will have different approaches, but my lengthy write-up is meant to make it easier and more fun.

Oh i have to edited the post to add that "seeing" a golf coach occasionally will help in your game. spending time on golf coaches are also money well spent on driving/training regimes. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 7:09 pm

duffader wrote:

You toking about range?..... or something else? What a Face

Sorry... the word 'wack' + your avatar.... hard to think that you could be talking about golf leh....
lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 7:24 pm

Damm !!! when did the level for Seasoned Beginnner go up so much ????? anything other than putter, I just hope for luck.....
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 7:31 pm

LoL. That is why seasoned noob like me can arrive but 3 putts.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:26 pm

no point wack 100 balls on a flat surface.... on the course, will face probably less than 5 shots on a nice flat ground....just play more golf

shots used a lot on course but never practice at the range

20-30-40m pitch

those short chips

even the flop shot....many think they are PM without ever practicing the shot.

Back to top Go down
ngjw89
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 10:13 pm

i think it's pretty pointless to hit too many balls with the same club after warming up.

for me usually i'll start with a few pitches, go on to a few shots with a short iron, then a couple with a long iron then hybrids, woods and finally my driver. once i'm done with all that i start jumping around the clubs randomly, sometimes if i'm lazy it's just one shot with driver, one with the wedge, and i'll just repeat. if not i'll simulate the sequence of shots that i might hit during a round, starting with a driver and the next shot will be perhaps an iron, wedge or a longer club depending on what kind of sequence i'm trying to recreate (par 3/4/5). when doing this, if i hit bad shots, i don't go back to correct them, i just move on. the point is really to consolidate all the practice that i've had across the different clubs. sometimes i take it even further and do away with the practice swings to see how well i can recall my swing.

i began doing this when i realised, after hitting a couple of balls with the same club, i can virtually empty my basket of balls hitting good shots using that club, but in the end, i don't bring that same good swing onto the course. sometimes it's even worse. i start out with my wedge, hit a good number of balls, go on to my other clubs and when i get back to my wedge, it takes a few hits to get my swing back into memory and under control, all the practice goes to waste.

so the point here is to train my mind to be able to set up to different shots on different clubs with no fixed sequence, which is what is required on the course. the next shot is often unexpected and it's not something that can be rehearsed for.

i hope this helps! it's been working pretty well for me. of course, this is just about the mental aspect of range practice. if there's something wrong with my swing in general, i might just spend the whole session just hitting a 7 iron to iron it out.
Back to top Go down
antloh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
antloh

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 2:56 pm

chemicalpro wrote:
1st 190 balls - driver
last 10 balls keep in bag

you know what's up!

Twisted Evil

No wonder I sometimes find driving range balls on the course...Wink
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 4:25 pm

It's Good target practice however i'll say you should do half of your training doing swing practice on what you work on ( should be between 50 - 100 balls) with PW , 8-iron and 6 iron . just work on the think your working on . then when you think you master the movement that you have to do . then put it under pressure such as your target practice . It'll forced you during your target to not think about all the part of you swing only the key fundamental that make you execute a good swing . It'll also train you to have the same feeling as you got on the course as i see so many amateur ( none single figure) thinking so much over the balls . when you over the ball Just Hit The Dam Ball ( Like Nike Slogan Just Do It)

cheers
Back to top Go down
waadee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 1:25 pm

"just hit it!!" cant agree more
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 3:08 pm

Practice with an objective.

If working on swing mechanics, practice with a mirror or camera.

If working on accuracy, pick a specific target, go through full pre shot routine, setup, swing, evaluate resulting ball flight shape and direction, adjust, and repeat.

In all cases, FEEDBACK is very important - did the shot go as planned? if not, what went wrong, shape or direction or contact? why, what was the cause? find and fix the cause, and repeat.

Practice without feedback is basically just exercise.

Practice does not make perfect, practice makes PERMANENT.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range   Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Correct Training Sequence for W & iron at range
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next