Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range

Go down 
+7
Winston
Derek
goh.YF.52
adenn20
robert33
timang84
tksoh
11 posters
AuthorMessage
tksoh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
tksoh

Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range Empty
PostSubject: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 11:05 am

I have this problem of hitting fat shots rather often and I have more or less come to conclusion that it is due to many reasons including set-up is too close to ball, not transfering weight enough etc.

I am now trying to practise drills to correct this problem and i find it challenging to get the correct feedback on mats in the driving range. Ideally, practising in the range-on-grass which will clearly show how much divot that i have taken before the ball however this is not really possible on the mats. (and Turf Club is too far for me to go so often)

Any experience on good ways to see how fat my shots are on a mat? I thought of putting something like a coin before the ball but worried it will damage the club instead.
Back to top Go down
timang84
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
timang84

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 am

You can place a towel behind the ball instead and try to miss the towel.
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
robert33

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi bro...

There r 2 methods whuch i use on range mat to improve my ball striking...

Method 1) i place the ball on the hole (meant for rubber tee) and practice hitting my iron shots off it!

Method 2) bring a roll of masking tape. Stick a small piece jus after the ball. When u hit correctly, u should see the maskin tape stick to your club head. If u hit it fat, the masking tape will not stick.

Hope it helps...

Happi golfing!!!
Back to top Go down
adenn20
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 7:33 pm

Get alignment sticks from isetan

Set them parallel , almost sticking to one another...
Place a ball on the sticks

Take ur swing, aiming to take the ball clean off the sticks

Cheers!!!
Back to top Go down
adenn20
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Oh they cost around 23 bucks
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Put on the right end of the mat( if you are right handed, vice versa), around a finger gap between the ball and the edge of the mat. I normally do this will wedges only. If you are doing it for the first time, please be careful that you will hit the side of the mat and the ball may fly vertically upwards. It will be quite painful and people may just stare at you.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 9:39 pm

adenn20 wrote:

Cheers!!!

*imagines 2 alignment sticks flying into the distance ...*

ROFL ROFL ROFL Beer
Back to top Go down
timang84
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
timang84

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Derek wrote:
adenn20 wrote:

Cheers!!!

*imagines 2 alignment sticks flying into the distance ...*

ROFL ROFL ROFL Beer

Cheaper to use wooden chopsticks.
Back to top Go down
adenn20
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 11:04 pm

Hmmmmmm....ok

Alignment sticks won't fly off by the way.

Good imagination tho Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 1:22 am

I have used the following method.

1. Stick a piece of masking tape about 3 inches, on the mat, behind the ball.
2. Take your normal swing and if you hit the tape, it means you are hitting fat shots.
3. Keep using this method until you do not hit the tape at all than move the tape 1 inch closer to the ball, (That means it is now 2 inches behind the ball) and continue.

PS: This method worked for me, not sure if it will work for you.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 9:56 am

i am quite sure the problem is a more fundamental issue. Probable swing plane issue, some of the suggestions here seem good but some are downright dangerous. Not just to your hands and joints but to others as well. Go see a proper swing coach la. If you have to practise, practise the correct fundamentals.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 11:29 am

How about this approach ...

As you mentioned, there is no replacement for learning ball striking off a natural surface (be it grass, or my personal favourite, flat sandy areas that simulate fairway bunkers, I used to go to JCC range just for that).

However, if Turf city is not convenient, then you need to somehow teach yourself how to recognise good (ball first) contact even off a range mat.

Are you able to strike the ball decently with partial swings? i.e. the kind that you make inside 70m and around the green. Or 20m-25m pitches? The good thing about these shots is that they occur at a slower speed, so you should be able to feel whether you got the mat first or not. Also, they can be practiced at any executive course, or if you have a portable chipping/pitching net (available as FESC), almost any piece of grass.

After all, my own logic is that (feel free to disagree), if you can't hit the ball nicely with a short club swinging at a slower speed, you should not expect to hit it nicely with a long club at a faster speed, not the mention the additional (perhaps excessive) body movement.

Work on this often enough, and you will recognise what good ball first contact feels like, after which you can then recognise fat shots on range mats just by feel. Hopefully knowing what good contact feels like will help you achieve it more consistently.

A side effect of this practice is that you are likely to get more confident and competent hitting shots with partial swings inside 70m, otherwise known as the short game. I realise that some golfers feel this is not important because they can hit greens with their 4 irons, let alone mid and short irons. But because I am not as talented as them, I try to get competent in this area so I don't waste my flightmates time.

Give it a try, you might be surprised what happens to your overall game ...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 11:31 am

For me....if the sound is 'Piak'.....that is a good shot..

if the sound is 'Pok'....then no good....likelihood I duff
Back to top Go down
entity
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 11:56 am

What happens if there is no sound...

...just the blackbirds squawking overhead. Razz

Duval_S wrote:

Back to top Go down
timang84
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
timang84

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 5:04 pm

entity wrote:
What happens if there is no sound...

...just the blackbirds squawking overhead. Razz

Duval_S wrote:

Just shout:" What a good practice swing!"
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Derek wrote:
How about this approach ...

As you mentioned, there is no replacement for learning ball striking off a natural surface (be it grass, or my personal favourite, flat sandy areas that simulate fairway bunkers, I used to go to JCC range just for that).

However, if Turf city is not convenient, then you need to somehow teach yourself how to recognise good (ball first) contact even off a range mat.

Are you able to strike the ball decently with partial swings? i.e. the kind that you make inside 70m and around the green. Or 20m-25m pitches? The good thing about these shots is that they occur at a slower speed, so you should be able to feel whether you got the mat first or not. Also, they can be practiced at any executive course, or if you have a portable chipping/pitching net (available as FESC), almost any piece of grass.

After all, my own logic is that (feel free to disagree), if you can't hit the ball nicely with a short club swinging at a slower speed, you should not expect to hit it nicely with a long club at a faster speed, not the mention the additional (perhaps excessive) body movement.

Work on this often enough, and you will recognise what good ball first contact feels like, after which you can then recognise fat shots on range mats just by feel. Hopefully knowing what good contact feels like will help you achieve it more consistently.

A side effect of this practice is that you are likely to get more confident and competent hitting shots with partial swings inside 70m, otherwise known as the short game. I realise that some golfers feel this is not important because they can hit greens with their 4 irons, let alone mid and short irons. But because I am not as talented as them, I try to get competent in this area so I don't waste my flightmates time.

Give it a try, you might be surprised what happens to your overall game ...

Have been doing this form of practice for several months already. Since I practice at bukit batok driving range, there have the off-peak promotion where 200balls for $4.30. In my 600balls there, i would be hitting shots like using 8iron 100m, 4iron 150m, pitching wedge 75m. It develops a feel for me that i could hit the ball well as long as i swing under control. For me, my game improved from rarely breaking 90 to a consistent below 90 game and a increase of 5mph on my driver swing speed.
Back to top Go down
tksoh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
tksoh

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks for the ideas and advice. Will try them at range. Hopefully don't send the towels out together with the ball haha
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Alternatively can also just bring a piece of chalk.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range   Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Practising drills to correct fat shots on mats of driving range
Page 1 of 1