Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue

Go down 
+21
golfamigo
drawbias
Khorkar
navik
simoner
hoppie
tronos
Tituman
eiji
mUAr_cHEe
KingAbarth
shamusan
duffader
and68low
Genesis
TheFocalPoint
daveaha
JonL_TK
alvin7379
wilkang
DGman
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:01 am

Dear all,

we are close to finalising a Long Drive and Trick shot exhibition in Singapore.

on show will be..

Kevin Shook, Lance Reader and world champion Joe Miller. Jean Daniels the regional strongman will also be here to lend his weight to the event.

the event is mostly likely organised by a leading golf magazine and co sponsored by Krank, BFG and a few others.

My initial thought was Marina Sands where they can drive 500 yards into the bay with a outdoor trackman to capture the actual distance and distance marker made of bumboats with Insp Aw at the helm. but the ship owner get sea sick so how???

your suggestions will be valuable and the person's whose idea will be used will get a special special gift. no worry, its not a kiss from Shamusan. although we can't keep a good man down, can we???

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:05 am

Padang??
Kranji Turf Club??
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:09 am

keep it coming...good start...thank you wilkang.

we do need to think of safety and the high cost of building safety nets.

DGman
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:13 am

IF it is allowed to hit balls into the sea... you might find some parts of Marina Barrage with breath taking views + decent space for a large audience..
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:17 am

How about the F1 Pit Lanes?
Think you can rent the facilities... Long drive can hit into the bay!!!

Is Jamie Sadlowski coming?
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:42 am

I think Marina area is quite impossible considering so many boats passed by every minute.

Have to find an big open space, stadium-like venue....
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:11 am

Sentosa Golf Club Driving Range.
Back to top Go down
Genesis
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:26 am

Botak Hill??
Bedok jetty??
Woodland waterfront Jetty??
OCC range???
Selatar Airport runway??
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:30 am

Bukit First Hole, 350m , slight down hill, spectators can track ball all the way even pass the reservoir ! location central !
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:37 am

Warren 8th hole... big fairway par 5... near clubhouse for drinks also.
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:53 am

i like nsrcc kranji hole 10

i believe one has to carry at least 340+m from the black tees to cross the water hazard...

that works out to be about 380+ yards of carry... not many long hitters will be able to cross that distance

would be a fun sight to watch who actually carries the water hazard!
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:55 am

TheFocalPoint wrote:
Sentosa Golf Club Driving Range.

oei, sentosa driving range???

even i can hit the net... and i'm not a long hitter... those guys might kill someone on the course!
Back to top Go down
KingAbarth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:57 am

There is a empty plot of land at Tanjong Rhu road (Just before MBGC) where you can do a raise platform and hit it out to the Kallang river.
Good thing is its away from traffic (so easy to get approval from town council and TP)
Spectators can watch at both side of the river banks for different angle
Also the place is long and wide enuff even if its a big slice or hook shot.
Maybe can even put floating targets for spectators to try to hit for prizes..
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:58 am

I think hitting to the river is a no no unless we have a big piece of net underwater.
Back to top Go down
KingAbarth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 12:03 pm

didnt they do that for the HSBC hole in one at clarke quay?
anyway, just a suggestion. I just find going to range to watch something like this abit boring.. not drawing new ppl to the sport.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 12:05 pm

KingAbarth wrote:
didnt they do that for the HSBC hole in one at clarke quay?
anyway, just a suggestion. I just find going to range to watch something like this abit boring.. not drawing new ppl to the sport.

Oh is it? hahaha.. sorry.. didnt know that... but somewhere near the city will be cool... in conjunction with barclays.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 12:28 pm

KingAbarth wrote:
There is a empty plot of land at Tanjong Rhu road (Just before MBGC) where you can do a raise platform and hit it out to the Kallang river.
Good thing is its away from traffic (so easy to get approval from town council and TP)
Spectators can watch at both side of the river banks for different angle
Also the place is long and wide enuff even if its a big slice or hook shot.
Maybe can even put floating targets for spectators to try to hit for prizes..

this one got lots of potential....we just need to make sure its more than 500 yards clearance. those guys are long.

Ms Lee...Jamie is yesterday's news.

i think the general idea is to avoid golf courses or driving range.

keep it coming...it will be useful in our next brain storming meeting with GD.

DGman
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Is Joe Miller coming down?

How about the floating platform?
Hitting into the bay area which doesn't have that many passing vessels
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Involving the Kallang Basin and floating platform is a lot of work and approvals to get. looks like need to find someone who is a good greaser amongst the gahmen peoples...

how about macritchie reservoir? not much wind and alot of room...

With the new MSCP, there might be more room for parking?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:37 pm

The site where they hold the Air Show,the road is a private road, and its used as a runway, so its long straight and very very flat.

Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi Eric, there is a big piece of open space which is more than 500 m in length if not longer along the old Holland Road/Holland Link leading to MGS. I think that would be ideal if you can rent it from the relevant authorities. When you are free you can drive down to check it out. If you drive in from Bukit Timah Rd, turn into Blackmore Drive and you will hit Old Holland Rd and on your right hand side is your BIG open space. Very Ideal. Though it is indicated as forested area on Singapore Street Directory, it is actually all cleared.

Titu

PS: Everyday when I passed this stretch of road after sending my daughter to MGS, I always thought of taking some old balls and stop there and practice my driving .... lol!
I did saw 1 Caucasian hitting golf balls into the centre. I also saw activities being held there which means it can be rented. MGS is holding a parent/children bonding day this month and they have this activity whereby the parent and the kid will get into a balloon and have races against other parent/kid. This will take place in this big field also.

Last edited by Tituman on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:55 pm

similar to TM white-out event, at orchard road. Dont really need to see the ball travel the whole distance, just a trackman results on a big screen will do.
Back to top Go down
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 5:18 pm

There is a Big field, a jogging park with no lamp post etc at Woodlands Ave 12 exit of SLE, not sure if it's enough clearance for this event.

It's marked as Kite flying area in the map, i used to fly RC Planes here because there is no lamppost in the park, very minimum, at nite it's total darkness.
http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel_id_1643/travel_site_123157/?x=103.79152362289635&y=1.4266562327310868&l=13
Back to top Go down
KingAbarth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 1:12 am

For such events, roping in STB would do alot of good for getting location.
Being such a big event in golf, I think STB may be interested. U may even get some funding..
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 6:59 am

Turf City @ Bukit Timah was once used for a longest drive competition before many years ago. No safety nets required plus free parking.

Another alternative is NUS. Could use their open field at their sports complex.

BTW, check out STB's website - they hv $$$$ to offer for such events
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue   Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for a Long Drive, Trick shot exhibition venue
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next