Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do you control your chip?

Go down 
+15
eiji
DRGjr72
audi
watermyforrest
sunny
mUAr_cHEe
tronos
joshyo
essentiale
Duval_S
pocketace
jeffman88
gezt_ho
Derek
skybobo
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

How do you control your chip? Empty
PostSubject: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 12:11 am

1. Using the hands?
2. Using the shoulder?
3. Others?

Pls share and advise.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 12:17 am

Perhaps since jhan showed you how to get out of bunkers well you should sign up for a couple of lessons with him on short game?
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 12:37 am

Already signed 6 lessons liao
I go to him because i have been shanking my chip all over
He has restored my chipping confidence back

The reason for asking is to understand how diff ppl think
Back to top Go down
gezt_ho
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 12:58 am

skybobo wrote:

Bro, your shot game so deadly. Now sign up short game lesson to chip near pin and no need to Putt is it?
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 am

gezt_ho wrote:
skybobo wrote:

Bro, your shot game so deadly. Now sign up short game lesson to chip near pin and no need to Putt is it?

Yah so deadly
Once chip, will shank
Confirm dead.
Is this your so called deadly?........ha ha

Dun talk so much, when u giving me 3-3 for a game?
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 12:14 pm

skybobo wrote:
1. Using the hands?
2. Using the shoulder?
3. Others?

Pls share and advise.

me mostly dependent on the right hand stronger grip (for righthanders) and following thro with both hands...
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 12:50 pm

I have a related query if you guys don't mind me asking. Will the type of chip shot be also determined by the type of ball and green (soft & moist vs hard & dry)

I'm not talking about if you have lots of green or not enough green to work with

Assuming you have some amount of green to work with, I realized that with a high spin 3 piece ball on a more receptive green, the ball will often checked up such that I cannot really play a bump and run shot. Then I'm forced to play the ball a bit more forward in the stance and flight the ball a bit more which I'm less comfy in playing

If I still prefer a bump and run, what should I do? Chip with a hybrid or wood??
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 12:52 pm

I practise the C & H short game

Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 1:09 pm

golf is a feel game.. just gotta keep practicing till you can feel for yourself the distances. for more consistency in the feel, it depends on the crisp contact between ball and clubface. for me <25m distances is gonna be more handsy with slight body turn to finish depending on the type of shot.
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 1:10 pm

What works for me is a 1-2 chip. Start with the left, and when almost impact my right hand brings it down harder. Follow thru just fluid motion. Helps me control ball flight and spin. + increases feel of chip for me. Love it.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 2:09 pm

can some pro help me....i use to chip with 60 degree..once even up to 64 degree, thinking more loft is good cause i always chip too far.....but now days i am chipping with lower and lower loft...was down to 56 then now 53 and now looking at using 48 as i felt the 53 is too hard to control (sometimes perfect 2 bounce and stop..sometimes roll all the way..).

Looking for chip and roll, no more lob and check on 2 bounce.

Is this the correct progression cause watching the pros, most of them like to check the ball....fly towards the hole, 2-3 bounce and the ball stops dead 1 foot from the hole or has it to do with the green condition
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Tronos. I'm no pro, but. From my experience chipping with my 56* I get chip n a bit of roll on speed 10 greens. Unless of course u land on a downhill then even a 60 might not help you. More loft gives u less roll. Maths of physics. Also will depend on amount of spin u can impart to the ball and flight of ball. Which all depends on ur swing path as well. For swing tips I'll let the pros handle that. Equipment issues.. fitters are there for u.

Have fun golfing!
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 3:48 pm

I think the more appropriate way of asking would be, "How do you chip?" Do you use your hands/shoulders/both/legs?

If you are asking me how I control my chips? Hit it longer, I hit harder. Hit it shorter, hit softer.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 4:22 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
If you are asking me how I control my chips? Hit it longer, I hit harder. Hit it shorter, hit softer.

Anti-climax. Thought a troll would be saying something like "I use sp that has a chip nowadays"
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Chief Troll... I concur with Sunny on this one...
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 7:19 pm

i played with an angmoh last week, he chipped using iron 7. but unbelievably consistent chipping using i7. i'm just amazed by his chipping
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 7:57 pm

I started chipping with 7i too. Chip and run. Easier than wedge
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
gezt_ho
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 8:45 pm

skybobo wrote:
gezt_ho wrote:
skybobo wrote:

Yah so deadly
Once chip, will shank
Confirm dead.
Is this your so called deadly?........ha ha

Dun talk so much, when u giving me 3-3 for a game?

Bro, mine more worst. Sometime i even Duff and e ball stop in front of me 2m only.
I realise anything less than 75m, I Only will use 58deg.
Should I stick to one or use another wedge like 52deg?
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm a strong believer in chip and run... when I chip, others run...
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 9:45 pm

sunny wrote:
I started chipping with 7i too. Chip and run. Easier than wedge

can you tell me how do you do that? do you swing like you would do playing on a wedge? or you slow down your swing because of the low loft of 7i?
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 9:48 pm

For chipping I recomend the Paul Runyan method. It is seldom taught these days as it is becoming one of those things that many younger teachers have no idea about.

The key points are as follows:

1. Club sets in a vertical position (very upright)
2. Grip has opposing palms to help hinder un-needed wrist movement
3. Ball is struck toward the toe of the club to eliminate any back spin potential
4. Putting motion is used for the stroke
5. Air time vs. ground time is the most important calculation of the shot
6. Club is selected based on the ratio of time required in the air vs. how much time it will travel on the ground.
7. Ideal target spot is a few feet onto putting surface

There are variations to this as you become adept with respect to where you land the ball and how that will affect air time vs. ground time and also the ability to chip where you might enact some backspin. But for beginners it is a great way to get control of your chipping and learn how to use more than just one club when you are around the green.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/short-game/chipping/flick_gd0706

Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 10:36 pm

justin taught this to me, still need to practice that technique.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
kef529
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kef529

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 11:00 pm

DRGjr72 wrote:
For chipping I recomend the Paul Runyan method. It is seldom taught these days as it is becoming one of those things that many younger teachers have no idea about.

3. Ball is struck toward the toe of the club to eliminate any back spin potential
6. Club is selected based on the ratio of time required in the air vs. how much time it will travel on the ground.

There are variations to this as you become adept with respect to where you land the ball and how that will affect air time vs. ground time and also the ability to chip where you might enact some backspin. But for beginners it is a great way to get control of your chipping and learn how to use more than just one club when you are around the green.

While searching for Paul Runyan on Youtube, found this video on chipping (or rather the maths behind it) which seems to illustrate your points (5 to 7).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTCpkYqF8Ig
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 11:06 pm

kef529 wrote:
DRGjr72 wrote:

While searching for Paul Runyan on Youtube, found this video on chipping (or rather the maths behind it) which seems to illustrate your points (5 to 7).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTCpkYqF8Ig

I do practice the Rule of 12 when I chip. Initially it can get quite troublesome coz you need to run up and down the green...After a while, it's more about aga-ration.

Bottom line - depending on much fairway and green u have to work on, choose the club with the appropriate loft.
Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 11:07 pm

DRGjr72 wrote:

Hi all, I tried hitting the toe of the club but din work for me. the club keeps wobbing and is not stable. Good that it works for some.

As for me, I weaken my grip so the ball flies low. with the same back and through stroke, I use different clubs for different distance.

However, during range practice, I also try same club for different distance. so more distance, more back and through stroke.......

hhhhmmmmm many ways to skin the balls !!!!!!!cheers man
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you control your chip?   How do you control your chip? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you control your chip?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next