Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?

Go down 
+7
Khorkar
Lamts18
Duval_S
slinger
Technospaz
clarencekim
S70B
11 posters
AuthorMessage
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? Empty
PostSubject: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 11:37 pm

My short game, particularly around the greens, had a mini-revival lately after I paid my coach a visit.

He looked at my chipping, pitching and flopping and noticed 2 very obvious flaws in my set-up that I was unaware of - I was standing a little too far from the ball and my hands were too low and it prompted a very inside path on the takeaway. Becos of this, on the thru-stroke, I had to use a lot of hands to square the club face and it sometimes will not work when the timing is off.

As usual after correcting it, I felt like I was going to shank or duff every chip standing so unusually close to the ball and having my hands high again. However, I trusted his words and went about practicing it more, 2hr every session for a few weeks.

After reworking on the set-up, I have renewed confidence in getting my chips closer and sometimes, even the confidence and feel of holing certain straight forward ones.

A lot of times when I play with beginners or higher handicapped players, the chipping motion or shot is something they are most unfamiliar with. From set-up to the stroke, they have all sorts of funny habits working against them due to the lack of knowledge. Some even putt when there is like 20yds of long fringy grass in between the ball and the green. Many just do not practice it enough as most places in Sg do not offer good short game facilities to practice.

Here is a very good video I found on youtube that can help every individual - from beginners who have no clue or have not had lessons on the shortgame, to the experienced and good players who sometimes get lazy or forget the basics. He explains the basics very clearly and demonstrates the technique well.

Chipping

Also, its good to ask your pro to take u out to spend more time explaining the short game to u instead of just being a range rat.

Have fun. Swing good putt
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 3:59 pm

Many just do not practice it enough as most places in Sg do not offer good short game facilities to practice.

This is a big problem for all non-country club members (like me) who want to get better at their short games but cannot find accessible practice areas in Singapore.

I wish OCC would re-open the four-hole practice course (unlimited rounds), and also wished MBGC did not charge $10.75 per hour to use their practice greens.

Laguna, Sembawang, Executive GC and NSRCC (Tampines) practice greens are small and get crowded with students and other golfers, especially during weekends.

Sad

CK
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 4:11 pm

clarencekim wrote:
Many just do not practice it enough as most places in Sg do not offer good short game facilities to practice.

This is a big problem for all non-country club members (like me) who want to get better at their short games but cannot find accessible practice areas in Singapore.

I wish OCC would re-open the four-hole practice course (unlimited rounds), and also wished MBGC did not charge $10.75 per hour to use their practice greens.

Laguna, Sembawang, Executive GC and NSRCC (Tampines) practice greens are small and get crowded with students and other golfers, especially during weekends.

Sad

CK

I agree... we need more practice areas.

I once practiced chipping in my parent's house back in KL. Hit a little too hard. Ball flew a little too far. Dented my Mum's car. Oh well... she didn't complain... too much anyway Razz
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Technospaz wrote:
clarencekim wrote:

Sad

CK

I agree... we need more practice areas.

I once practiced chipping in my parent's house back in KL. Hit a little too hard. Ball flew a little too far. Dented my Mum's car. Oh well... she didn't complain... too much anyway Razz

try keppel range, just mentioned S70B name, they would bother u anymore.........
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 7:47 pm

once practiced chipping in my parent's house back in KL. Hit a little too hard. Ball flew a little too far. Dented my Mum's car. Oh well... she didn't complain... too much anyway

Lucky U, such a tolerent mom.

My wife complains that MY golf bag is scratching her car's boot area carpeting.

Even tho she has her golf bag in the same car's boot.

But after almost 20 years of marriage, I learned to keep my mouth shut.

Grrrrrrr.

CK
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Totally....short game is key. There was once I really hate chipping for obvious reason...no practise lor....but nowadays, I really enjoy when near the < 60m ...not that I am good but got chance to apply what I tried to practise...hahahah

But realistically speaking, with the shortage of practise area for short game here, the best is to apply the "No fish, Prawn also can' (Direct hokkien translation)....do at range lor....but funny thing is, not many range pro ie folks that excel at range practise short game le....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 8:39 pm

clarencekim wrote:
once practiced chipping in my parent's house back in KL. Hit a little too hard. Ball flew a little too far. Dented my Mum's car. Oh well... she didn't complain... too much anyway

Grrrrrrr.

CK

LOL! Mums are more forgiving. Wives... touch and go Razz
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 10:31 pm

Technospaz wrote:
clarencekim wrote:

Grrrrrrr.

CK

LOL! Mums are more forgiving. Wives... touch and go Razz

Wives.... sometimes touch also no go.... tongue
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 10:42 pm

Short game is all about feel and confidence. This is soooo true.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:27 am

KK, yeah... it's all about feel with the short game. Strength doesn't count. Precision on the other hand is critical.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 10:15 pm

Quick question on Chipping, I constantly struggle with this, not gaining traction. This is causing a lot of inconsistency in my game now.

How do I know which type of chipping techniques do I use assuming that it is a clear 20m chip to the Pin. Which one would give the best result?

- 8 iron
- PW
- 56/60 Wedge
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 12:11 am

Khorkar wrote:
Quick question on Chipping, I constantly struggle with this, not gaining traction. This is causing a lot of inconsistency in my game now.

How do I know which type of chipping techniques do I use assuming that it is a clear 20m chip to the Pin. Which one would give the best result?

- 8 iron
- PW
- 56/60 Wedge

Errr.. my england not good? What means not gaining traction? The only traction I know is last time buang moto, then must go hospital therapy, got include traction; kenna pull neck with machine... tongue

Ok, I'm not qualified to answer your question, so take my reply with a pinch of salt hor..
What are you most comfortable with? Which club did you practise most for the 20m chip? How much green you have to play with? What kind of lie? These are the some of the stuff to consider.

In general, the highest percenntage shot is the one that gets the ball on the green quickest then rolls to the hole. It's like putting with an iron, the initial first trajectory with the iron, gets the ball over the rough stuff and on the green and rolls towards the hole. The 50/60 wedge will work too, but it requires more precision; if not you end up with a long putt. But if you practice a lot of chipping with the wedge and not with the other irons, then it might be better just to stick to the wedge. There are a lot of excellent golfers who only chip with 1 club. S70B's chipping is damn solid although I don't think he really likes to run the ball much.

When I was in the same flight as the pro CR; Our balls were on the greenside slope; I brought my wedge to chip; CR brought 3 different clubs. Then I saw he placed the clubs next the ball then then look/check before deciding which wedge to use. When I asked him what he was doing he was checking to see which club would be best to clear the rough, depending on the lie and slope where his ball was.

My advice to you: first practice chipping with 1 club, PW or SW up to you; when you get pretty decent with that; then practise with the your shorter irons. You should roughly know how far your ball runs and so know where to land the chips.
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 12:17 am

For me, i am trying to use one club for everything now, the 60 deg wedge, so i will get more confident with it. Sometimes for practise, i even flop the ball when I have like a lot of green to play with. The more you practise, the more comfortable you will get.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 12:44 am

SS, Shotah,

Thanks for the good advice. I keep thinking by different irons would have help me reach my target easier, instead, it caused more strokes. In the end, its frustrating.

I will just stick to 56 and improve on it then move forward when I am consistent with it.
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 1:01 am

Khorkar wrote:
SS, Shotah,

Thanks for the good advice. I keep thinking by different irons would have help me reach my target easier, instead, it caused more strokes. In the end, its frustrating.

I will just stick to 56 and improve on it then move forward when I am consistent with it.

Bro, there is no 1 single way to skin a cat... Golf is like life, learn from mistakes, but never ever stop yourself from taking a risk as long as the outcome is managable. what fun would golf be if you always hit perfect shots?
Golf is a game of improvement. the best player here will still strive to do better, be it drives, chips, putts... Try lor, whats the worse that can happen? your cart buddy forces you to swallow the ball you chipped badly?
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 1:09 am

totally agree with GMan.... thats the exciting thing about golf. Doesnt mean you can hit well at one course, you will do the same at another.
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 1:16 am

shotah wrote:
totally agree with GMan.... thats the exciting thing about golf. Doesnt mean you can hit well at one course, you will do the same at another.

Errr... Bro, I didnt actually mean that. But good point... Embarassed

ps: I use my 7 or 8 iron for a lot of chips. I feel I have a better chance of determining the roll, vs the height... I am working on the wedges, but will still view my 7 and 8 iron punch and roll as a go to shot...
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 8:43 am

Bro, as long as the ball gets near the hole, that is what matters the most. whether roll there or fly there, it doesn't matter, but of course when it flys there, its looks more pro mah. Smile
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 9:43 am

shotah wrote:
Bro, as long as the ball gets near the hole, that is what matters the most. whether roll there or fly there, it doesn't matter, but of course when it flys there, its looks more pro mah. Smile

Yeah lor... I also say, totally agree.... European tour like to punch and roll leh... Americans like the high flight, soft landing... But maybe this is due to the playing conditions...
Back to top Go down
ethee
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ethee

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 12:57 pm

I have learnt from "i" 's 2 coaches ... around the green, keep shots as simple as possible. Keep ball low to ground unless you are faced with an obstacle in front and you need the loft to carry over.

One thing i find it hardest to do is - to relax and trust tat simple chip shot to reach the pin.

Rgds,
ethee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?   A basic chip - Do you know how to do it? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A basic chip - Do you know how to do it?
Page 1 of 1