Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chip/bump and run

Go down 
+4
horsie
Winston
JonL_TK
Liv2golf
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Liv2golf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Chip/bump and run Empty
PostSubject: Chip/bump and run   Chip/bump and run I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:54 pm

Recently I have been duffing/shanking my greenside chips with my PW, SW so I have switch to using my 4 hybrid for a bump and run or chip and run. Quite effective I must say. Only thing is that it is a little harder to judge the running distance but once you get the hang of it, it becomes almost as good as a putter in terms of line and read accuracy. Give it try !
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

Chip/bump and run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chip/bump and run   Chip/bump and run I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:59 pm

chip and run is an outskool technique that most coaches would teach to their students...
a very effective way of chipping... can use either a 7 or 8 iron for good effect!!!

Sometimes for fun... my flight mates and i would try using our drivers for chip and run shots...
Back to top Go down
Liv2golf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Chip/bump and run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chip/bump and run   Chip/bump and run I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 2:06 pm

I must say one needs to choke down on the grip and do a normal putting stroke with it. The higher the loft of a 4 hybrid the better as well.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Chip/bump and run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chip/bump and run   Chip/bump and run I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Liv2golf wrote:
I must say one needs to choke down on the grip and do a normal putting stroke with it. The higher the loft of a 4 hybrid the better as well.

I use my 3i for pins located at the back and I use 7i for mid pin locations. However, I would only use this method if I have laid up shot to within 10y for the green.
Back to top Go down
horsie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Chip/bump and run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chip/bump and run   Chip/bump and run I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 2:44 pm

will take note and try out the above methods the next time hehe. hope it works ^_^
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Chip/bump and run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chip/bump and run   Chip/bump and run I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 3:27 pm

horsie wrote:
will take note and try out the above methods the next time hehe. hope it works ^_^

If you decide to use the "putter" method. Make sure weight is evenly distributed on both feet. If bumb and run, choke down abit on the longer clubs and also shift weight slightly more to your front foot. These were taught to me by my instructor but I prefer to use the bumb and run method. I am not consistent enough to gain the accuracy and skills requred to chip and spin the ball.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Chip/bump and run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chip/bump and run   Chip/bump and run I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 3:39 pm

still trying to master that shot...

Presently, my unwanted pet shot is like ' Top-> Fly/roll and Lost ' .....sian half
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Chip/bump and run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chip/bump and run   Chip/bump and run I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Yeah there's an article in this month's Golf Digest by Butch Harmon on the green side hybrid bump shot.

Vicious cycle. We try not to hit it thin/fat therefore we decelerate at impact, and the cycle continues Sad
Back to top Go down
St. MIG
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
St. MIG

Chip/bump and run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chip/bump and run   Chip/bump and run I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:23 pm

horsie wrote:

Also try using Tiger's 4-iron chip, it is also fun too......
I hope it will work for me too!!! Chip/bump and run 293543
Back to top Go down
http://www.miguellim.weebly.com
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

Chip/bump and run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chip/bump and run   Chip/bump and run I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 11:12 pm

Yup. For me, the nearer I get to the green, the scardier I become to use my loft wedge to pitch in.
Scared of topping the ball or duff shot.
So chip and run with 7 iron is my preferred choice.
Back to top Go down
horsie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Chip/bump and run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chip/bump and run   Chip/bump and run I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 3:03 pm

[quote="asahi"]Yup. For me, the nearer I get to the green, the scardier I become to use my loft wedge to pitch in.
[quote]

X 2 cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Chip/bump and run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chip/bump and run   Chip/bump and run I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 3:12 pm

asahi wrote:
Yup. For me, the nearer I get to the green, the scardier I become to use my loft wedge to pitch in.
So chip and run with 7 iron is my preferred choice.

I used to have the same problem as you till my instructor literally wanted to whack me on the head with the wedge. I have this tendency to decelerate on my down swing because of fear of over hitting but actually, the wedge is designed to do its job only if you accelerate through the down swing.

That is why he taught me the chip/run method and also I have been practicing my short game ALOT and it has help considerably.

Had a game a few days back and could see improvements in my short game. (not including putting as I still suck at it)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chip/bump and run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chip/bump and run   Chip/bump and run I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chip/bump and run
Page 1 of 1