Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putters which/how to choose

Go down 
+7
Duval_S
Technospaz
Khorkar
S70B
Ssquirrel
Lamts18
pratat
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pratat
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Putters which/how to choose Empty
PostSubject: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 4:33 pm

As the topics,

Which putter is a better choice?

Odyssey or Scotty?

Currently i am looking at SC SS newport 2.5. (i know it's a older model)
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 4:53 pm

For me. Scotty gives a softer feeling ... for many its rather which Scotty putter design..
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 5:12 pm

The one that sinks the putts for you is the best choice!!! Very Happy

I've quite a few putters; including scottys and odysseys. There is no "better" putter. It depends one what you like, the setup, the feel, insert/no insert, the weight, etc.

Right now I'm back to using my old Wilson Tour Special (8802 style) which is so far..so good...

If you are thinking in terms of re-sale, then I think maybe the Scotty could be a better choice...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 5:26 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
The one that sinks the putts for you is the best choice!!! Very Happy
Right now I'm back to using my old Wilson Tour Special (8802 style) which is so far..so good...

If you are thinking in terms of re-sale, then I think maybe the Scotty could be a better choice...

Yes...the 8802 style of yours is holing 10-15fters almost automatically. tongue

If you are thinking at the back of your mind of potentially selling putters even before you buy them, you probably have a feeling inside you that it might not work. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 5:29 pm

Same here, have interest in this topic. One problem that I have now is that I have absolute lack of feel for putting. Changed my stance and strokes. In the midst of choosing a heavier putter. Thinking seriously to use Heavy putters. I read that it improve <10m putts.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 8:50 pm

I think SC gives you confidence but it doesn't guarantee better putts. This boils down to practice and feel.

I paid a visit to DGMan on Wednesday and in 5 minutes, he helped improve my putting. I didn't realize that I was not putting properly but he gave me useful tips and showed me where my flaw was. I'd recommend doing the same... it may not be the putter, but the "puttee" which needs fixing Smile
Back to top Go down
pratat
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 9:59 pm

agreed with the puttee part. Presently i am using a "old" Ping PAL 4 which is shorter than normal putter ( I feel). I tried my friend SC and the feel is good and the weight too. Although it pricey i guess it worth the money.

Other than Creative by JOE, any place selling 2nd hand one? or which shop is selling brand new one at a good price? Alternative , any scotty owner wanna spare one and sell me? Razz
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:03 pm

For me, both are ok....my only prob is with putter with Insert.....donno why, but seems like my ball do backspin, then forward roll...and ball macam rocket off the face......Likely due to my erroneous putting 'jab' motion....sighhhhhh

So bo pian, still 'married' to my old faithful....stone age, dinosour looking Ping Anser X

Lets see how the new EPL season fare out ....if sui sui....Scotty Circa #2.....here I come.....

...Just Me = Duval
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:19 pm

See this thread too Smile
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 11:12 pm

its not the putter but mostly the puttee...

if anyone has any problem with putting, come by for a chat and short practice session. just ask ultraman, he came and he never left.....

tiger has been using the same putter since he turned pro and he is still #1, so its the singer and not the song LOL

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 11:15 pm

DGman wrote:

if anyone has any problem with putting, come by for a chat and short practice session. just ask ultraman, he came and he never left.....

tiger has been using the same putter since he turned pro and he is still #1, so its the singer and not the song LOL

DGman

Well said, Dr Ng
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 11:20 pm

Thanks again for the useful tips, Eric Smile
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 12:50 am

I like Tiger's approach to putting in that its not the putter but the stroke that needs tweaking.

That said, I will be having a tough time deciding which of the 3 X SC or even the redwood that goes in the bag after I send 2 for the spa treatment in 2 months time! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
pratat
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 1:32 pm

DGman wrote:

DGman

I super newbie Razz if u dont mind to "vomit blood" , i would like to learn Razz
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 8:47 pm

S70B wrote:
I like Tiger's approach to putting in that its not the putter but the stroke that needs tweaking.

That said, I will be having a tough time deciding which of the 3 X SC or even the redwood that goes in the bag after I send 2 for the spa treatment in 2 months time! Twisted Evil

S70B.. stick to what you have confidence in and most comfortable with at that point in time.. MM commented that he also switch putter according to the feel he has when playing..
sorry for my 2 cents hor.... hope you dont mind... not trying to advice a much better player ...
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 9:44 pm

we have help lots of golfers understand what is proper putting stroke and how to improve in a very short time.

from begineers to very serious golfers including someone like you know who, we hope to either help them get the right putting stroke or tweak their putters so that they can stroke naturally.

just PM me and fix and appointment to have a chat or get some tips. its free and dont be paisei...

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 9:51 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
S70B wrote:

S70B.. stick to what you have confidence in and most comfortable with at that point in time.. MM commented that he also switch putter according to the feel he has when playing..
sorry for my 2 cents hor.... hope you dont mind... not trying to advice a much better player ...

I advise him to stick to the $20 ping!!! Then again... the recently shortened redwood should also be money!!!...

my 1.5cents...
Back to top Go down
Elbry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Elbry

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 10:04 pm

Eric helped me improve my putting with 2 numbers : 30 70. More control now.

Today I also tried putting with my eyes on the hole after setting up and aligning my putter-ball-hole. Seems to work on 2 holes (ball on apron around 10 feet from the hole - 1putt, 2nd one, ~7ft ball went in and came out...) after which it rained heavily and we stopped..

Asked my coach about this putting method and he said where got people putt like that, eyes should always be on the ball...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 11:38 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:
S70B wrote:

I advise him to stick to the $20 ping!!! Then again... the recently shortened redwood should also be money!!!...

my 1.5cents...

Mr Lam, right now, the putter which I'm most comfy with is packed up nicely and waiting for 'Spa' treatment in 1 mth time. That is why I am looking for a replacement putter to fill the void. Wink

SS, after a 1 1/2 hr session on the putting green just now, the USD$20 Ping is taking that spot in the bag as it sits better, feels better and just plainly rolls better than the USD$230 Redwood. good putt
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 12:14 am

Thats good for you.... me too .. as i am now using a 20 yr old Odyssey putter. The Redwood is a waste of money for me... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 12:22 am

Ah, but that 15yr old Ody of yours is the same famous one wielded by Sir Nick Faldo for his historic (and last) Major win in the 1996 US Masters.

Ironically, both our choices are featured in this topic's top five cheers :

Most Famous Putters

EDIT: SS's choice is also in the top 5. Razz
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 12:33 am

ha... sometimes its good not to throw old things away... never know when they'll come in handy again... looks like the 3 of us is using antique putters... Smile but as you very rightly said.. its the puttee and less the putter..
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 8:47 am

i believe that in the old toonshouse forum, we had this discussion before.. the putter is the putter, and the puttee is the ball, since it is the thing that is being putted...
Razz

what do you guys think? scratch
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 9:00 am

The putter is the putter.
The ball is the ball.
He who putts is the puttee.
He who misses is the one who spent too much time wondering who and what is the puttee Razz
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 9:46 am

haha.. spoken like a true wise one...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putters which/how to choose   Putters which/how to choose I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putters which/how to choose
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next