Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to choose a putter?

Go down 
+8
madmaru
Birdman
Derek
Kengnam
TDO
enwee
sob
falconlgh
12 posters
AuthorMessage
falconlgh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

How to choose a putter? Empty
PostSubject: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi,

Newbie at golf here. Any tips or guide on how to choose/buy the correct putter?

Been searching the net a bit but all I get is the description of different types of putter. There's blade, mallet, in between. Toe heavy, face balance and what not.

I know much of it is personal feeling or liking but for a first time newbie buyer, where do I start? How to choose the proper putter length or offset type? Is there any recommended putter to get a newbie started off?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!! New here
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 1:37 pm

Choose the putter that gets the ball in the hole in the least amount of strokes.

Hope that helps!!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 2:55 pm

falconlgh wrote:
Hi,

Been searching the net a bit but all I get is the description of different types of putter. There's blade, mallet, in between. Toe heavy, face balance and what not.

I know much of it is personal feeling or liking but for a first time newbie buyer, where do I start? How to choose the proper putter length or offset type? Is there any recommended putter to get a newbie started off?

Newbie tend to buy what's in fashion or not to ex. But it's so personal that it's hard to recommend. You need to go try around to see which one you like best then it'll be that one. I know people here uses Scotty, Zen, Odyssey, Ping etc etc..

It's totally which one you like best.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 3:01 pm

I choose putter base on:

a) Weight
b) Feel
c) Grip
d) Budget

If the above meets my requirement, I will buy without hesitation. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kengnam
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kengnam

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 3:19 pm

enwee wrote:
falconlgh wrote:
Hi,

Newbie tend to buy what's in fashion or not to ex. But it's so personal that it's hard to recommend. You need to go try around to see which one you like best then it'll be that one. I know people here uses Scotty, Zen, Odyssey, Ping etc etc..

It's totally which one you like best.
Beer
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 3:20 pm

My advice is to borrow one first ... try out a few styles ... it is almost guaranteed that whatever putter you buy when u first start is not going to be sometime you like to use

If you want, I have a few putters I can loan you if u can come down to MBGC
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Falconlgh,

Best to start with your setup.

Most important is that your eyes are directly over and slightly behind your ball position at setup (slightly inside the line and behind is fine too). This allows you see and visualise the line to the hole best. Check by taking your setup with the putter and a ball, then while maintaining your address position, hold another ball between your eyes and let it drop (with the putter out of the way off course). If it falls just behind the first ball, you're good.

What is the right length? At address with your hands on the grip, the sole of the putter should sit flat on the ground. Toe up (which is quite common for a lot of golfers) is not good, neither is heel up. This will result in your putts either going left or right. Having said that, your arms should not be jammed into your body, there should enough space for your right elbow to go past your abdomen freely, then you won't get a feeling of being stuck. This can result in many bad things like using your hands to manipulate the putter, or a jerky stroke that ends up rapping the ball, etc.

What is the right weight? Generally, one that allows you to make smooth easy stroke without feeling that you have to force the motion.

If you like to set your hands ahead of the putter head, then an offset or plumber neck putter is called for. If you set your hands even with, or behind the putter head, you might like to try a double bend or zero offset putter.

As a newbie, choose a putter with high MOI (moment of inertia), perhaps even face balanced. This will help you with mishits as the putter has a small precise sweet spot. The high MOI will help keep the putter head square on mishits so your ball stays online to the hole.

A very common mistakefor all golfers is that we don't square the putterface at address. To help with this and see the line better, get a putter with extended sightlines. Three sightlines are good, frame the ball inside the outer two sightlines and the center sightline (this is the one used for aiming) automatically bisects the ball. Stay away from putters with a single sight dot, these are usually for more accomplished putters of the ball. Mallets or semi-mallets would be a good place for you to start.

You might even like to try the Seemore line of putters which has a patented Rifle Sight system (I think) that helps you set the putterface square and soled flat every time. A good training system that helps one to learn the correct set up which can carry over to any other puttter.

If you are a handsy putter, try using thicker grips, they quieten the hands so they don't twitch through the stroke.

Just some distilled ponters off the top of my head that I can recall.

This should give you a good constructive headstart. Once you are more accomplished, then let your personal feeling and liking take over.

Do ask if you have any more questions since this is just the tip of a very huge iceberg. Very Happy

Last edited by Birdman on Tue May 15, 2012 3:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 3:38 pm

falconlgh wrote:
Hi,

Btw what putter are you using now?
Back to top Go down
madmaru
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
madmaru

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 8:00 pm

there are 101 putters out there
blade , 1/2 mallet , mallet , some techno funky types

weight 340g==> almost 500g

shaft postion: heel , center , rear

off sets : zero, 1/2 shaft ,1 shaft ...

shaft : steel or graphite

grip : traditional, round , tapered , split grip

grip size : normal , large and jumbo

length : 32-50plus (from normal, belly to long putter)

putter face : milled , insert , milled and insert

some have removable weight system

and the list goes on...
@ the end of the day try out the putters there are lot of brands out there and price are from under $100 to a few hundreds ... putter usually varies from people to people some people swear by certain brands and others ... other brands

it all about feel it's the putter gave u a consistent feel and confidence (plus ur stroke is very consistent )
Back to top Go down
falconlgh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Wow, thanks everyone for the info, esp Birdman, lots of useful info for me to start. The large variations in the putter types (much more than drivers and irons) got me quite confused.

enwee: Currently don't have any putters (*ashamed* Embarassed ), that's why I am looking for 1.

Probably will go for a 2nd hand traditional blade type first to start off.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 9:42 pm

falconlgh wrote:
Wow, thanks everyone for the info, esp Birdman, lots of useful info for me to start. The large variations in the putter types (much more than drivers and irons) got me quite confused.

enwee: Currently don't have any putters (*ashamed* Embarassed ), that's why I am looking for 1.

Probably will go for a 2nd hand traditional blade type first to start off.
Go out and try lah, even the traditional blade one also got a lot of type from material to maker etc. Milled, cast with insert etc etc. Actually Derek's idea quite good, borrow from him 1st lah.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Have fun guys. Scotty Cameron

Scotty Cameron Putter Selection Guide
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:41 pm

i have lost count on the number of putters i have bought and tried, before i finally found the perfect fit.

moral of the story....sometimes u just got to keep trying. cos testing it out at the pro shop will never be the same as using it on the course. that said, make sure u at least feel comfortable with the FEEL and LOOK of the putter, before buying it to try it out.

Back to top Go down
Kengnam
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kengnam

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:47 pm

I believe many of us down here keep on buying till finally found our love one...
Back to top Go down
chihheng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Just want to ride on this thread as I am pretty new (and addicted) to the sport as well. Considering everything equal, seems that it is a safer option to buy 35" long putter vs 34"? I am assuming that on a 35" long putter I still have an option to choke down my grip for adjustability?

Forgot to mention, my height is around 180cm. Been asking around the shops on what should be the putter length I should use for my height but can't get a convincing answer.

Regards,

Tom
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 11:00 pm

You need to feel comfortable on the setup and confident when stroking the putter.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 11:01 pm

chihheng wrote:
Just want to ride on this thread as I am pretty new (and addicted) to the sport as well. Considering everything equal, seems that it is a safer option to buy 35" long putter vs 34"? I am assuming that on a 35" long putter I still have an option to choke down my grip for adjustability?

Forgot to mention, my height is around 180cm. Been asking around the shops on what should be the putter length I should use for my height but can't get a convincing answer.

Regards,

Tom
Tom, for your height I think 34" should be ok. But depending on how comfortable you are, if you like 33" no one can said you must take 34". For me, even though I'm using 33" I still play it like a 32". The idea of the game, put the ball into the hole.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 12:05 am

chihheng wrote:

Regards,

Tom

Hey Tom,

Perhaps this extract might give you some insight:

"Also notable is the fact that while Mickelson stands at six feet, three inches tall, his putter is a full inch shorter than the so-called retail “standard” of 35 inches for men. It’s just a another example from the tour of how putter fitting is vital to maximizing one’s potential on the green."

Apart from the basic fundamentals, the address stance is very individualistic. Probably why no one can give you a convincing answer.

Perhaps you might like to pay a visit to Big Fish Golf and speak to Eric. They custom build Zen putters for the individual. A conversation with him can be very fruitful and beneficial to your game, even if you don't end up with a Zen putter in your bag.
Back to top Go down
chihheng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 7:17 am

Thanks guys for the replies! Golf is a long journey. I might just encounter both a 34" and 35" along the way. Will give both a try.

Regards,

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter?   How to choose a putter? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to choose a putter?
Page 1 of 1