Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do you choose a TV?

Go down 
+9
navik
vodkacdo
golf_snowman
duffader
eiji
hwdq
JonL_TK
Derek
mUAr_cHEe
13 posters
AuthorMessage
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

How do you choose a TV? Empty
PostSubject: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 1:18 pm

How do you choose a TV?

The latest offerings of LEDs are notorious for being low on power consumption... what other factors do you look out for?

anyone got a model to recommend?

Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 1:22 pm

pay attention to the various audio input and output options especially if you plan to hook it up to a soundbar or home theatre system
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 1:32 pm

Do not buy now... GSS is coming but also the new models will be launching in July!!!

Buy during Comex... July/Aug new models will be launched

I like TV's that can swivel... Dunno what u need for your place though
Best is to be able to view normal Starhub & Mediacorp channels side by side and not those Hi Def Blue Ray crap that they give to promote the TV's Def
Back to top Go down
hwdq
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 1:37 pm

For me, am very sensitive to picture quality... i will look for a few things: clarity of the tube, how dark is the black levels, how rich color is, and if you watch sports a lot, then try to avoid tubes with ghost images (if the refresh rate is not high enuf....)
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 1:39 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
How do you choose a TV?

The latest offerings of LEDs are notorious for being low on power consumption... what other factors do you look out for?

buy a few models and try them out, sell one of them to me when you are done. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 1:40 pm

eiji wrote:
mUAr_cHEe wrote:
How do you choose a TV?

buy a few models and try them out, sell one of them to me when you are done. Razz
Like!!!

Maybe can give me one once your done too
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 1:58 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
How do you choose a TV?

Simple lah, for you, just get the biggest one.... it will improve your chance of seeing things in the TV. Smile
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 2:08 pm

not too sure about LED but for LCD, go for hard panel....

soft panel are more prone to faulty screen especially when you have kids around...

secondly, go for those OEM that make the panel themself, they have better warranty coverage and repairing parts will not be a issue...
Back to top Go down
vodkacdo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 2:31 pm

LED is the way to go now.... and the prices are dropping fast.... it all depends on the size of your hall.... or the size u feel comfortable..... samsung and LG are the most bought LED Tvs in singapore.... so read around in other forums like hardwarezone..... they have more in-dept reviews on the different models and they also give good advise..... i believe most ppl think comex and other shows will give u better bargains..... they never do.... decide on your model and start looking around for the prices and whats the free gifts they throwing in..... i just bought a 42" LG LE6500 for only $899 at IMM best denki....great TV with loads of feature..... just plug in your portable harddisk u can watch movie direct off your harddisk.... see pics also.... just my 2 cents worth hahahaha
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 2:44 pm

1. If u watch a lot of free to air channel, consider plasma they offer better picture quality

2. The cheaper LED tv on the market now are typically edge lit and suffer from blooming, e.g during dark scenes, certain parts will be brighter due to the led light from adjacent leds

3. Plasma power consumption is not constant, the power consumption stated is max rating, while led and lcd is constant. Hence the difference is not as great as commonly believed

4. Japanese brands still has better qc and pic quality compared to Korean brand

5. Neighbourhood shop usually give better price compared to big electronic chain due to lower overhead, they can also do price match so go Harvey (harvey does price match too, but price cannot go as good as what I can get at neighbourhood shops) or courts to check.out the sets and order them from ur neighbourhood shops, e.g. everjoint, etronin
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 4:16 pm

thanks. got some good inputs. from the people that i cannot put a face to their nicks!!
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 7:58 pm

We just bought a 42 inch Phillips LCD and it is great. I was worried about power consumption and after the fact I did a little more research and, like mentioned above, the savings on electricity between the LCD and LED are not as great as advertised. Knowing that I might have gotten a much better LCD than my LED.

Even though I love my tv and the picture is amazing, I would have much rather spent a little less and possibly gotten more.

Also Jon has a great idea since the newer stuff is coming out soon, might be a good time to wait it out for a couple of months, then grab some deals on the LCD or LED.

Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
kian

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 9:37 pm

speakin from personal xperience, gt a HD plasma.
i got a 46 lcd and it gets blurry during fast movements while my old plasma works perfectly fine and the colour is sharper too...many people say plasma spoil easily bah bah bah...i got a panasonic plasma which is still working perfectly fine for 10 years.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 9:52 pm

kian wrote:
i got a 46 lcd and it gets blurry during fast movements while my old plasma works perfectly fine and the colour is sharper too...many people say plasma spoil easily bah bah bah...i got a panasonic plasma which is still working perfectly fine for 10 years.

bro, what you refer to is the diode switching latency when there is bluring on the LED screen. can't be helped.

plasma has this effect i think they call it screen burn.
the sharpness will decrease over time. have you inspected carefully if the sharpness has decreased after 10 years?

What a Face

Last edited by mizzy on Wed May 18, 2011 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 9:55 pm

Panasonic for Plasmas
Samsung for LEDs

Get at least 46, if not something bigger.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 9:57 pm

kian wrote:

Tell me when u get your own place and pay the electricity bills. Smile
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 10:01 pm

duffader wrote:
kian wrote:

you see him no up ah.

I can just see his TV in his house would be lined with Diamonds.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 10:04 pm

eiji wrote:
duffader wrote:
kian wrote:

you see him no up ah.

I can just see his TV in his house would be lined with Diamonds.

correction.. lined with hello kitties studded with diamonds!
ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a TV?   How do you choose a TV? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you choose a TV?
Page 1 of 1