Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

how to choose a putter?

Go down 
+11
Cyp_PGA
S70B
Birdman
golf_snowman
Jliang
JL_chong
JawereZ
pocketace
jaketang
Lamts18
bubu
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bubu

how to choose a putter? Empty
PostSubject: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 10:48 am

have been thinking of changing my putter recently. What is a gd recommendation? i prefer blade though.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 11:12 am

wow ... what that ? beer ?

try the zen blade ... true roll ...
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bubu

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 11:27 am

yeah, beer! later lunch time, i m gng to run to GH and grab a putter liao . kekekekeke!
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 11:29 am

better choose the correct length and it suits you ....
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 11:31 am

YEs! putters........
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 11:33 am

I've been thru many putter changes... finally settled on one that I think helps me hole more putts... I am on a Belly putter. Shocked Yeah, most of you will probably shun that. It is gonna be a tough process, you must grow to love your putter, commit to it, else, scoring will suffer... last time I buy chio putter, swee putter, but cannot hole the putts... so, now got a belly putter
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bubu

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 11:35 am

thanks for sharing pocketlace.Smile
Back to top Go down
JawereZ
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JawereZ

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 12:00 pm

I was at Golf House Suntec ,the other day and they have an adjustable putter. Its for you to adjust the length of the shaft. When I tried it, my comfortable length was 33'. So what I did was, I readjust my current putter which was 35'.

cheers
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bubu

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:28 pm

hi jawerez, may i check with u what is ur height? I tried Scotty Cameron California Monterray recently. I like the weight 20 one but it comes w a 33" shaft. There is a 34" one but with weight 15. I m hving headache which is better... I m 165cm, 34 or 33! Any difference?
Back to top Go down
JL_chong
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
JL_chong

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:32 pm

putter very personal one, its the one club that you should put all your LOVE in it... just like your GF... Talk to your putter sometimes, it helps... Razz

Its more on your feel. As long when u do a putting stroke, the head feels balance throughout the back and fowrd swing without much swaying, then its good. Then after that try to putt with a ball and feel the contact. If u can hole-out most of the time with good judgement of speed and power, then that's the one liao!

Hence whether is a blade, mallet, belly putter, its all about your personal preference.

Happy shopping for your new GF... Smile
Back to top Go down
Jliang
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:37 pm

hahha that will be BF for bubu.. ehh i think Eric does putter fitting too. if ya really serious can go and try....
Back to top Go down
JL_chong
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
JL_chong

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:45 pm

Jliang wrote:
hahha that will be BF for bubu.. ehh i think Eric does putter fitting too. if ya really serious can go and try....
oh, so bubu is a lady golfer huh?... unless... Rolling Eyes keke...
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:51 pm

bubu wrote:
hi jawerez, may i check with u what is ur height? I tried Scotty Cameron California Monterray recently. I like the weight 20 one but it comes w a 33" shaft. There is a 34" one but with weight 15. I m hving headache which is better... I m 165cm, 34 or 33! Any difference?

Hi bubu

i would recommend u to give BF a try, let eric and his guy fix up a putter for you.

If you can, also try their ZEN putter...i can tell u..it felt so sweet and soft and the ball ROLLS....best putter i even tried...

snowman
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:53 pm

bubu wrote:

Bubu, what is most important in that your putter soles flat on the ground. It is not of great significance how tall you are, but where your hands are at address relative to the soling of the club. Some have a more upright putting stance like Miguel Angel Jimenez requiring a longer putter, others like Jack Nicklaus, crouch over the ball bent almost 90 degrees. Even Phil Mickelson uses a really short putter, i think it's 33 inches, the same as mine, and the top of my head is only in line with his shoulders.

And a shorter shaft needs a heavier head than a longer one to maintain the seem feel from one putter to the next of different lengths. That is to say, the 34 incher should feel the same as the 33 incher when putting, for the same model of course. The difference in weight, if I am not mistaken, is to counter balance the length of the shaft. It's just physics at work. Hope i've helped some.

Of course, here I defer to the resident expert on such matters, DGMan.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 2:09 pm

If I may add further, a blade putter favours an inside-square-inside stroke. Balancing the putter shaft on your finger, you will notice that the toe of a blade putter hangs down. The toe balance helps a blade to square through impact.

A mallet putter favours a straight back, straight through or square to square stroke. balancing a mallet putter as mentioned above, you will find that the face always sits parallel to the ground, or as the industry calls it, face balanced.

So figure out what type of putting stroke you have, that will assist you in your initial step to choosing the right putter. There are of course different types of necks, shaft positions, amount of offset, that are all further factors too complicated to get into for me. Unless DGMan would care to enlighten us further.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 2:29 pm

Birdman, time to throw a spanner here:

With reference to DEC 2009's Golf Digest USA,

Having a putter with toe hang is supposedly to help with a gated stroke but Jack Nicklaus has used a heel shafted putter to putt SBST before. He also mentioned he has 3 styles of putting too.

Steve Stricker has used an Ody White Hot #2 for ages but in the Dec 09 Golf Digest article, he mentions that he is a SBST style putter. He also ranked #1 in putts per GIR at 1.726 this year.

A face balanced putter promotes SBST but I know a player here who uses the Ody Sabretooth and a gated stroke with deadly results.

Go figure.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 2:48 pm

I was at Transview over lunch, tried the new California series... oh my Gawd!!! feels swee, looks swee, putt every ball into the putting mat hole.... no no no... I put better with my good ol' belly putter....no no no... I put better with my good ol' belly putter....no no no... I put better with my good ol' belly putter....no no no... I put better with my good ol' belly putter....no no no... I put better with my good ol' belly putter....no no no... I put better with my good ol' belly putter....
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 2:51 pm

Ah, I have that issue, haven't dived into it yet Rex.

Come to think of it, I still have this Ram Zebra mallet that I occasionally practice putt with alongside my blade ones, with the same gated stroke. Pass the salt and pepper along with the spanner Rex.

hahahaha... Looks like JL is right then, whatever gets the job done, personal preference, different strokes for different folks...... and so it goes.

I guess still abide by the 'in general' rule, cos my stroke ain't laser etched into my my muscle memory like these guys who do it for a living. Like the line goes "These Guys are GOOD!!!!"

And I see there's a simultaneous discussion going on about the technicalites of putting. Very very interesting, esp the bits about you and your change in style Rex.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 2:54 pm

Wait belly change size how PocketAce? California better..... chiselled bodies in bikinis some more....

ROFL
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Ya, its a good guide to follow but there are always these outstanding individuals that go against the regular school of thot and throws everyone off.

Good posts, I just opened it up for thot. Wink
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 3:01 pm

That's why it's such a great game Rex. All these guys that come along and defy the laws of physics as we know it. Miller Barber, Don January, Lee Trevino, Chi Chi Rodriguez, and of course Rory Sabbatini along with Jim Furyk.

Think this putter discussion is very intriguing, wanna get into the different types of necks, hosel positons, as well as S bend shafts vs straight. Need DGman for this.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 3:41 pm

Birdman wrote:
Wait belly change size how PocketAce? California better..... chiselled bodies in bikinis some more....

ROFL

exactly, i am trying to maintain the belly in current shape and form in order to keep using my belly putter... but ppl commented belly getting bigger of late... no wonder not putting so well last couple of rounds scratch
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bubu

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 4:17 pm

i bought already! i bought my BF already! just tried 20 putts for the few potential putters i m eyeing on, and bought the one which i putted best --- The swee swee yan dao one- THE scotty cameron california monterrey! yeah yeah yeah!

Thank you everyone for all your useful advice! tongue
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 4:19 pm

bubu wrote:
i bought already! i bought my BF already! just tried 20 putts for the few potential putters i m eyeing on, and bought the one which i putted best --- The swee swee yan dao one- THE scotty cameron california monterrey! yeah yeah yeah!

Thank you everyone for all your useful advice! tongue

Good choice ... may you hole more putts and your BF will listen to you everytime ... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 4:27 pm

pocketace wrote:
Birdman wrote:

ROFL

exactly, i am trying to maintain the belly in current shape and form in order to keep using my belly putter... but ppl commented belly getting bigger of late... no wonder not putting so well last couple of rounds scratch

Never mind, just suck it in for the brief moment when putting lor, just like when pretty girl walk past. Then let it back out after she gone past. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to choose a putter?   how to choose a putter? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how to choose a putter?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next