Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do you choose a putter

Go down 
+13
magpies
nutty88
TDO
Turbo
Denmeister
TaylorMadeKL
Rafj
flashpacker
lousyswinger
yaozza07
Golf noob
pocketace
dimpledgolfball
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dimpledgolfball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

How do you choose a putter Empty
PostSubject: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 3:37 pm

I'm just wondering how would you guys choose a putter. 

by brand?
feel?
looks?
price? 

please share your experiences with me!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 5:01 pm

All of the above

It's a journey for me

Buy and try different brands, materials, length, shape etc

Till you find one you are most comfortable to the eyes, and and and
Hole the most putts on course

Then search all over again for an even better one
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 5:05 pm

for me will be most importantly the feel ( well balanced for my putting stroke style) follow by visual (looks for alignment).
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 10:52 pm

Soft yet firm feel with the right head shape 1st
Then length and grip size next
Back to top Go down
lousyswinger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 11:05 pm

"the putter chooses its owner."

Cheers Jump 
good putt 

Feel for the roll.... you will know.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 11:33 pm

The putter must be face balance and heavy
Back to top Go down
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Rafj

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 12:57 am

IMHO,

the first thing is to find the correct offset and 'goose neck' that suits your putting stroke.

then work on head shape followed by weight and grip size.

There is not right or wrong way to choose a putter.

Let me share a story. It happened to me 16 years ago, walked into a pro shop, stroked a putter on the practise mat and it just, somehow, felt perfect , so bought it and had it in the bag and was putting very well for 15 years. 

Yet, for the last year, suddenly couldn't putt confidently with it and when i brought it in to check if the lie angle or loft changed, found out that it's loft was 2 deg instead of the usual 3 - 3.5 found in most putters out there.....

anyway, long story short, i"m still searching.....

Good luck with your search.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
dimpledgolfball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 8:54 am

Thanks all for sharing!

It seems like choosing a putter is largely about feel. I went to a couple of shops yesterday to test it out. There were a couple that I am okay, but like not a lot of feel leh. 

I think I don't know what is the "feel" that everyone is talking about. 

Perhaps I should just take a leap of faith when I can afford it.
Back to top Go down
TaylorMadeKL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TaylorMadeKL

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 10:11 am

For me, it's the feel and the roll of the ball... Been using Odyssey for years... Love the #7 head shape as I feel it helps me with alignment thru the stroke the most. Fan of the recent series (Works and White Hot RX) for the feel and roll. It just feels good when I putted with them.

I find, however, that putting at home or at the shop on a mat is very different. I always bring a new putter to the practice green to try. Scotty allows for demos of their putters if u are keen.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 3:33 pm

I was putting well a few years ago with an old Scotty model:  Pro Platinum Mil Spec.  Then after a year, short putts weren't going in.  Happened to try a Futura X mallet and it stayed in the bag for a long time.  In fact, it was so good that I bought another one as spare, just in case something bad happened to it.  I even got a 3rd one while browsing the WTS section.  This one was a counter balanced model.  However, it did not suit me compared to the conventional one.

I just switched back to my Pro Platinum this week as I am having trouble feeling the long distance putts.  With the Pro Platinum, this issue suddenly disappeared.  I was able to "park" nicely.

I still feel that the Futura X is a better direction wise, but distance wise, the pro platinum is better.

Having a couple of putters in the store room will be good as I can fall back on them depending on the issues I need to overcome.  Having these 2 models to switch around helped tremendously as I have developed confidence in both of them.

After using the mallet for these few years, the putting stroke seems to work well with the Pro Platinum too.  If I start having directional issues again, then I will just switch back to the Futura X.  So don't be too quick to sell off putters that have served you well in the past, you will never know when your current putter decides to go on a holiday.
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 5:45 pm

Denmeister wrote:
I was putting well a few years ago with an old Scotty model:  Pro Platinum Mil Spec.  Then after a year, short putts weren't going in.  Happened to try a Futura X mallet and it stayed in the bag for a long time.  In fact, it was so good that I bought another one as spare, just in case something bad happened to it.  I even got a 3rd one while browsing the WTS section.  This one was a counter balanced model.  However, it did not suit me compared to the conventional one.

I just switched back to my Pro Platinum this week as I am having trouble feeling the long distance putts.  With the Pro Platinum, this issue suddenly disappeared.  I was able to "park" nicely.

I still feel that the Futura X is a better direction wise, but distance wise, the pro platinum is better.

Having a couple of putters in the store room will be good as I can fall back on them depending on the issues I need to overcome.  Having these 2 models to switch around helped tremendously as I have developed confidence in both of them.

After using the mallet for these few years, the putting stroke seems to work well with the Pro Platinum too.  If I start having directional issues again, then I will just switch back to the Futura X.  So don't be too quick to sell off putters that have served you well in the past, you will never know when your current putter decides to go on a holiday.

Walau, win-win situation for you. It's either a Scotty or a Scotty :p
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 6:01 pm

Ya man, seem to have a subconscious attraction to scotties. However, not all scotties are good.  Didn't like the studio select Newports.  They felt rather harsh.  First generation golos were terrible for me.  That was when I decided that rounded backs are not suitable to my eyes.  The feel was also not good.  

Tried a Rife 2 Bar mallet when I first started out the game and it felt ok until I itchy backside and changed to a fat grip. Totally lost the feel of the head after that.

Now that I am writing this, I did own a lot of putters!

Odyssey blade, TM Rossa triangular mallet were also used before.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 6:03 pm

If you are looking for a soft feeling head, go look for the Scotty Pro Platinum series. This material just can't be made any softer. No other brands or models can ever feel like that!
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 9:45 pm

Save your search.
Buy a Yamada. No regrets.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 12:09 am

All the above - price, brand, design and feel ...
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 9:23 am

I like my putter to be a little heavy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dimpledgolfball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 10:15 am

I suppose there is no shortcut to getting a putter. It's a journey that must be undertaken by every golfer. Eventually, even if you get one you like, there will come a moment that you will suddenly lose the feel. That actually sounds a little depressing.  Sad

I'm attracted to the scotties, but the price for a new one is rather steep to me. 

Would anyone know where to get a new previous model Scotty? The shops are all selling the latest model now.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 12:09 pm

Search for used ones here and also at golfsite.sg

There are many for sale at reasonable prices.
Back to top Go down
dimpledgolfball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Denmeister wrote:
Search for used ones here and also at golfsite.sg

There are many for sale at reasonable prices.
Denmeister, 

Thanks for the advice. I couldn't find the model that I wanted. Even tried looking through creativejoe and carousell.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 1:48 pm

What model are you looking for?
Back to top Go down
dimpledgolfball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 2:39 pm

The squarebacks and fastbacks. Looking for the older models like 2010 - 2015 models. 

I understand these are not so popular. Everyone seems to be going for the newports.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 3:10 pm

Denmeister wrote:
Bring two putters onto the course lor. Pro Plat for long putts and X for short putts.  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 3:43 pm

I actually like my previous dual balance TM spider but I sold it after I got my current Scotty in black mist finished ... I sold it not because it ain't performing but I don't like the frivolous color combo and faux like material. I like my putter with a slight raw and tinge of classic looks. Counter balance putter is good for those who tend to "wrist break" in their stroke ...
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 3:50 pm

nutty88 wrote:
Denmeister wrote:
Bring two putters onto the course lor. Pro Plat for long putts and X for short putts.  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Wonder if I will confuse myself even more if I were to do that. Hahaha haha.

14 club rule bro. If u ok with me bringing my whole storeroom when we play, I will do that. Swee boh?
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 9:36 pm

Social rule, ok to bring whole storeroom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you choose a putter   How do you choose a putter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you choose a putter
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next