Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to choose the right shaft for driver?

Go down 
+19
kopiO
Roystonnn
nanohenry
daveaha
DGman
Technospaz
lemmein
ironfist
jimmychoo
rocky
solarpop
weesern
Lamts18
Khorkar
shotah
jaketang
benhogan
mervyntan
jtek
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

How to choose the right shaft for driver? Empty
PostSubject: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi Guys, question from this newbie again... Smile

I'm starting to feel that my driver's shaft don't fit me as I'm feeling that its very light as compared to my fren's Ping G10 on stock shaft.

Really have no feel or knowledge on shaft at this moment...

Currently using stock shaft which came with my TM R7 Draw... but dunno wat brand... its stated RE AX FLEX S 50 on the shaft...

Need some input on what is the common shaft used by bros here?

I know the best solution is go to a fitter but hope to learn more abt shaft before doing that...

Thanks... Smile
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 4:32 pm

hi bro,

many factors when it comes to shaft.

there is weight, torque, flex, kick point etc.

of these numerous factors, i think the most important for a player is weight and flex.

it is important to get a shaft which weight you can handle, meaning that it's not overly light to the point that you have got no feel for it, but not overly heavy to the point where you find it exhausting and difficult to control.

flex is also important as this controls how far the ball goes from your swing, and also whether you are able to load the shaft properly to maximise your distance. another thing is, if you are using a shaft that is too flexy, the ball is likely to slice and launch too high..

at the end of the day, try out different shafts of your friends, go to BFG where there are always numerous different drivers to try out, loan a few drivers from your friends to try, and end of the day, you are able to make an informed decision about which shaft to get.

this is all my very novice view on shaft choices, so please feel free to add on or correct me...

cheers
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Tha   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 4:51 pm

mervyntan wrote:
hi bro,

many factors when it comes to shaft.

there is weight, torque, flex, kick point etc.

of these numerous factors, i think the most important for a player is weight and flex.

it is important to get a shaft which weight you can handle, meaning that it's not overly light to the point that you have got no feel for it, but not overly heavy to the point where you find it exhausting and difficult to control.

flex is also important as this controls how far the ball goes from your swing, and also whether you are able to load the shaft properly to maximise your distance. another thing is, if you are using a shaft that is too flexy, the ball is likely to slice and launch too high..

at the end of the day, try out different shafts of your friends, go to BFG where there are always numerous different drivers to try out, loan a few drivers from your friends to try, and end of the day, you are able to make an informed decision about which shaft to get.

this is all my very novice view on shaft choices, so please feel free to add on or correct me...

cheers

Thanks bro... no wonder my drive always launch high and some slice... Smile
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 4:56 pm

but of course, sometimes it might be our swing problem also, but the easy solution is always to blame the equipment...
recently i also had to fight a very bad slice, i blamed it on the equipment, but after some testing, the equipment didn't change, but i was playing the ball position too back, which led to open clubface at impact.. after changing the ball position, the drives started going straight again...
haha, so it's always good to look at your swing also..
Back to top Go down
benhogan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 6:29 pm

using a shaft that is too flexy, the ball is likely to slice get a stiffer one. Slice laggi more. Shocked >
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 7:14 pm

yup too flexy.....will slice....

coz by the time yr hands pass the ball position, the clubhead is still very far behind...
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 7:37 pm

Eh.. I thought if the shaft is too flexi, it will pull left instead? For me, my ball slice because of my ball's position on tee up. Try putting your ball nearer to your left leg (if you are a right hander) For most normal cases, the stiffer the shaft, the easier the ball will slice.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 7:40 pm

i think if swing speed not enuff n shaft too stiff will slice?

isn't tht we need fast swing speed to swing the stiffer shaft?
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 7:41 pm

shotah wrote:
Eh.. I thought if the shaft is too flexi, it will pull left instead? For me, my ball slice because of my ball's position on tee up. Try putting your ball nearer to your left leg (if you are a right hander) For most normal cases, the stiffer the shaft, the easier the ball will slice.

not too sure, but i thought it is because shaft too flexi, so the clubhead will lag behind and cause a slice.. anyway, i am not sure lah, but general consensus is that getting the correct shaft flex is important lah
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 7:42 pm

but side track abit...

is it tht those more expensive shaft tht suit yr swing speed etc will lengthen yr driver length?
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 9:29 pm

Jtek, the main factor is your swing. Your need someone fitting experience to give your advice. Sometime, it is not the amount of money put in to gears but the right choice gear combined to tailor to your ability. I am using Graman shaft on Titleist 905. Sweat... Love the combination... Smacking drives good these days...
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Jtek, the main factor is your swing. Your need someone fitting experience to give your advice. Sometime, it is not the amount of money put in to gears but the right choice gear combined to tailor to your ability. I am using Graman shaft on Titleist 905. Sweat... Love the combination... Smacking drives good these days...

So maybe i can try re-shaft my current driver for a try...

Usually how much to fork out to re-shaft to a decent shaft??? I mean including labor charges etc...

Cos heard that re-shaft maybe around the price to buy a new driver... so dunno is this true...
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 11:49 pm

i think some shaft can cost easily >500 bucks...

so yes, sometime reshaft can cost more then a new driver...

so unless u really like the driver head, if not no point... i guess
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 11:56 pm

jaketang wrote:

So is it true that most brand's stock shaft are lousy shaft??? Like for example what is usually TM's shaft?

Cos my driver only less than 1 yr old so pain to change now ha ha ha Smile
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:00 am

jtek wrote:
jaketang wrote:

So is it true that most brand's stock shaft are lousy shaft??? Like for example what is usually TM's shaft?

errr i not so expert leh... u gota check with the better n serious player here...

but nowadays stock shaft are improving too....
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:01 am

Some only la, but not most of shafts cost > 500. There are decent shaft costing much lesser than that.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:02 am

jtek wrote:
jaketang wrote:

TM's shaft is usually not so accurate insofar as the flex is concerned ... but if its suit you then ok else , there are many options out there ..
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:05 am

Lamts18 wrote:

TM's shaft is usually not so accurate insofar as the flex is concerned ... but if its suit you then ok else , there are many options out there ..

But i felt the current shaft seems too light for my liking liao... Sian... maybe got to go shopping for new driver soon... Sad
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:08 am

Well, the standard 50g is a bit too light for norm. Have you measured what is your swing speed before?
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:10 am

Khorkar wrote:
Well, the standard 50g is a bit too light for norm. Have you measured what is your swing speed before?

Swing speed??? Shocked

Never measure before leh... where to measure it??? Smile
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:14 am

jtek wrote:
Khorkar wrote:

Swing speed??? Shocked

Never measure before leh... where to measure it??? Smile

If you young then a 65 to 75 gm shaft in the correct flex suits you.... i may be wrong here so take it with a pinch of salt .... anyway , just drop by at BFG and get your swing speed measured ..
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:17 am

yup go bfg get it measure...

older/ladies/kids ppl ard 70-90mph
average guy i think 90-100mph
fast ard 100-115mph
115 and above i think pro liao
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:25 am

so i consider older/ladies/kids ppl... time to go gym.... Sad
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:29 am

weesern wrote:
so i consider older/ladies/kids ppl... time to go gym.... Sad

use impact stik enough ... but do it the correct way .... ask MT ... Smile
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:56 am

I know there are alot of TM fans out there, but this is my honest opinion..

TM stock shaft and grips are the worst piece of crap you can find out there.. i think it would do you good to look into replacing your shaft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to choose the right shaft for driver?   How to choose the right shaft for driver? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to choose the right shaft for driver?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next