Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

compensation for height difference

Go down 
+4
alvin7379
weesern
daveaha
zhenxua
8 posters
AuthorMessage
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

compensation for height difference Empty
PostSubject: compensation for height difference   compensation for height difference I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 10:34 am

is there any formula or rule-of-thumb for club selection to cater for difference in height? and is there a difference for calculating uphill and downhill?

eg, I'm standing at the tee box of a 186m par 3 and the green is about 10m below the tee box, do I play 1 or 2 clubs shorter?
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: compensation for height difference   compensation for height difference I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 10:36 am

zhenxua wrote:
is there any formula or rule-of-thumb for club selection to cater for difference in height? and is there a difference for calculating uphill and downhill?

eg, I'm standing at the tee box of a 186m par 3 and the green is about 10m below the tee box, do I play 1 or 2 clubs shorter?

Here
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: compensation for height difference   compensation for height difference I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:03 am

u intend to bring a calculator to the course to calculate??

Here's the formula

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_functions
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: compensation for height difference   compensation for height difference I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:37 am

zhenxua wrote:

You also need to take into consideration the wind direction & Strength... the amount of Moisture in the air... the rotation speed of the earth... and last but not least the gravitational pull difference between the earth and moon...

So all in all... you need to club up...

Not becos of any of the above considerations.... but...

just so that you have a higher chance of crossing the red tee...
lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: compensation for height difference   compensation for height difference I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:52 am

For a while, I thought this thread was referring to other areas. Razz

Seriously though, me go by feel and the hazards (if any) around such holes.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: compensation for height difference   compensation for height difference I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 12:21 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
zhenxua wrote:

You also need to take into consideration the wind direction & Strength... the amount of Moisture in the air... the rotation speed of the earth... and last but not least the gravitational pull difference between the earth and moon...

So all in all... you need to club up...

Not becos of any of the above considerations.... but...

just so that you have a higher chance of crossing the red tee...
lol!

You forgot air temperature. Warmer air is less dense and more distance
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: compensation for height difference   compensation for height difference I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:22 pm

weesern wrote:

Here's the formula

I was actually thinking if we could represent the trajectory of the ball's flight with a quadratic, cubic or higher order equation, then by adjusting the y value we could find the x value and then deduce the club to select
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: compensation for height difference   compensation for height difference I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:34 pm

Actually you can start training. Go ground floor mbgc and hit. Check distance. Record. Go 1st floor repeat. 2nd floor repeat. Rooftop repeat. Bring your little black book to the course.

Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: compensation for height difference   compensation for height difference I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 1:27 am

I used to think an extra 10m drop from the tee-box means using 1 to 2 clubs less. That thought landed me short most of the time.... Rolling Eyes Smile

For 186m, assuming you are using a 5wood, if you look the "Land Angle" from the link below, the average landing angle is 43 degrees for LPGA and 47 degrees for PGA. The "extra" 10m drop will allow slightly more carry time and distance but it will mean a much steeper landing angle with less roll.

The extra distance I recall is only about 5 metres. Razz

So with a straight shot (no cut nor draw), I have only been able to use at most 1 club less. If there is a hazard in front, then I'll take my usual club. Hazard behind, 1 less club.

If you have access to a Trackman, you can measure your ball "Max Height" and "Land Angle". Smile

http://www.golfrepublic.org/golf-talk-f3/pga-tour-vs-lpga-tour-trackman-t7624.htm
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: compensation for height difference   compensation for height difference I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 8:24 am

Quote :
Quote :
zhenxua wrote:
weesern wrote:

Here's the formula

I was actually thinking if we could represent the trajectory of the ball's flight with a quadratic, cubic or higher order equation, then by adjusting the y value we could find the x value and then deduce the club to select

I think you should do that. But let me tee off first, then I go and putt and finish the hole and wait for you on next hole while you do your maths.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: compensation for height difference   compensation for height difference I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

compensation for height difference
Page 1 of 1