Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help with tee height

Go down 
+11
pocketace
Chunky Munky
darenlim
Angchug
swingandstroke
blee67
oldie-newbie
eden
haragolfer
Technospaz
superputt
15 posters
AuthorMessage
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Help with tee height Empty
PostSubject: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 4:11 am

I usually tee my ball about half ball above the crown.  With this tee height, the ball is hit almost on the top of the face.   I need to hit the ball right about the center of the face.   How much lower should I tee my ball?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 7:48 am

Is this a trick question?

Lower the tee height by the length which is determined from the space between the center of the club face to where the club face is currently hitting the ball.

That said, you should also consider whether your stance has anything to do with the impact position of the ball. The further left you tee the ball, i.e. closer to your left foot, the higher the likelihood of you catching the ball on your upswing hence the higher ball contact.

It's not always about tee height.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 8:04 am

odds are that thread starter is hitting down on the driver. I am guessing the like ly bad shots are slices and pulls.
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 9:01 am

haragolfer wrote:
odds are that thread starter is hitting down on the driver. I am guessing the like ly bad shots are slices and pulls.
+1
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 9:41 am

Hang on a sec... aren't all bad shots off a driver slices and pulls? Wink
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 9:47 am

I had the same problem. Now I tee just inside my left foot (as always) and address the driver in the middle of my stance and hit an imaginary ball as if it is at the center of my stand and swing straight through.

Silly method but works for me. Unconventional non-textbook bad habit but hey it floats my rubber duckie hehe.

I suppose it allows the driver to swing right through in a upward motion since it bottoms out right in the middle of the stance. It then catches the actual ball on the upswing.

Try it at you own risks Cool
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 10:32 am

Technospaz wrote:
Hang on a sec... aren't all bad shots off a driver slices and pulls? Wink

You can top and duff too.... pig
Back to top Go down
swingandstroke
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
swingandstroke

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 10:41 am

I used to have the exact same problem and was forced to lower it down. Also hit that sky high shot once in a while.

I was then advised to have my weight 60% on my right foot, compared to 50% for iron shots. Along with other improvements to my swing, I now tee it with half the ball above the crown.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 12:21 pm

of course the reason I guess his problem is that I have the same problem!
Back to top Go down
Angchug
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Angchug

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Just don't use tee. I use driver without tee and notice the ball is straighter. I lose around 20m.
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 1:08 pm

Went through a few videos on youtube and found 2 relevant to your question about tees and driving. Hope below videos will help you. Smile

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZOkHLQkHzc

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FB_pJgo7Ow
Back to top Go down
Chunky Munky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Chunky Munky

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 1:22 pm

Angchug wrote:
Just don't use tee. I use driver without tee and notice the ball is straighter. I lose around 20m.
I'm intrigued - what loft is your driver? On average how far would you say your driver goes? Smile
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 2:07 pm

haragolfer wrote:

My natural shot is draw.  When my tempo is off, I hook my driver.

I almost never slice my driver in the last 3 years.

My iron shots are all a bit draw.  Especially with wedges.  I don't even setup for a draw shot.  It just my natural tendency.

Last edited by superputt on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 2:10 pm

oldie-newbie wrote:
I had the same problem. Now I tee just inside my left foot (as always) and address the driver in the middle of my stance and hit an imaginary ball as if it is at the center of my stand and swing straight through.

Silly method but works for me. Unconventional non-textbook bad habit but hey it floats my rubber duckie hehe.

I suppose it allows the driver to swing right through in a upward motion since it bottoms out right in the middle of the stance. It then catches the actual ball on the upswing.

Try it at you own risks Cool
I've been doing this for years

Maybe I won't exaggerate and say my driver head is center of my stance but it 6 inches behind my teed up ball

Works for me too

Straighten my tee shots
Back to top Go down
eyz4eva
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 2:31 pm

is your driver grazing the turf or mat?
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 2:34 pm

handsome . . . Wed or Thurs?
Back to top Go down
IceShelterX
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 5:10 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Is this a trick question?

Lower the tee height by the length which is determined from the space between the center of the club face to where the club face is currently hitting the ball.

That said, you should also consider whether your stance has anything to do with the impact position of the ball. The further left you tee the ball, i.e. closer to your left foot, the higher the likelihood of you catching the ball on your upswing hence the higher ball contact.

It's not always about tee height.

Agree...
Back to top Go down
Angchug
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Angchug

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 5:14 pm

Chunky Munky wrote:
Angchug wrote:
I'm intrigued - what loft is your driver? On average how far would you say your driver goes? Smile
With Tee I am using 9 with Stiff shaft. Without Tee is 10.5 R 
Dist 200-240m. At the range I usually play on the mat but can only get 180m.
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Drive without tees . . . Power la u
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 4:20 pm

Angchug wrote:
Chunky Munky wrote:
Angchug wrote:
With Tee I am using 9 with Stiff shaft. Without Tee is 10.5 R 
Dist 200-240m. At the range I usually play on the mat but can only get 180m.

Can you explain how do you hit a driver without a tee?  Are you using the minidriver?
Back to top Go down
leoie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
leoie

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 11:01 am

wa. driving w tee i already got problem.. can video?
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 6:43 pm

superputt wrote:
I usually tee my ball about half ball above the crown.  With this tee height, the ball is hit almost on the top of the face.   I need to hit the ball right about the center of the face.   How much lower should I tee my ball?

Best to try different height of rubber tee at driving range. One of my golf kaki tee very low compared to me but he could hit is sweet. So I guess it depends on individual. Mine is equator of golf ball at top edge of driver.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with tee height   Help with tee height I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help with tee height
Page 1 of 1