Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GPS - any recommendations

Go down 
+3
Technospaz
BT
golfdiva
7 posters
AuthorMessage
golfdiva
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfdiva

GPS - any recommendations Empty
PostSubject: GPS - any recommendations   GPS - any recommendations I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 5:37 pm

Can anyone recommend a good GPS? I am looking for something with slightly bigger screen as I dont like to squint my eyes while driving.
Back to top Go down
BT
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
BT

PostSubject: Re: GPS - any recommendations   GPS - any recommendations I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 6:02 pm

I use Garmin.

The new nuvi 5000 has a 5.2" screen
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: GPS - any recommendations   GPS - any recommendations I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 6:07 pm

I use the Garmin 750 which has a 4.3" screen. Garmin rocks. I've seen and sampled a few of the others but keep coming back to Garmin.

PS. BT, it's not the size of the screen which matters... it's how fast you can get a picture refresh Razz
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: GPS - any recommendations   GPS - any recommendations I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 7:08 pm

I am using Garmin 610, 4.3" screen, very happy with it, easy to use, no hastle.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: GPS - any recommendations   GPS - any recommendations I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 10:44 pm

I too recommend Garmin. But do some research on what you are looking for as there are many models. The newer ones are 3maps with junction view, which can easily cost abt 420 and above. The 2D versions would cost about 399 and less.

My personal recommendations are 3D versions. Even that you need to think where you need:
1) - Bluetooth - for hands free connectivity with yr handphone that has bluetooth
2) - FM Transmitters - for voice transmission to radio
3) - Junction View
Back to top Go down
BT
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
BT

PostSubject: Re: GPS - any recommendations   GPS - any recommendations I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 11:07 am

Technospaz wrote:

PS. BT, it's not the size of the screen which matters... it's how fast you can get a picture refresh Razz

hahaha Razz
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: GPS - any recommendations   GPS - any recommendations I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 2:13 pm

Actually u dun really have to look at the screen. but in case u need to, usually it will auto zoom in...
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: GPS - any recommendations   GPS - any recommendations I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 2:54 pm

Somehow or rather my garmin doesnt tell me the speed cam locations. On Eugene's, it does. Got figure out mine, why it did.

Size within 4.3 or 5" is more than sufficient. if not, it gets too complicated for dashboard.

Last edited by Khorkar on Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: GPS - any recommendations   GPS - any recommendations I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 3:00 pm

golfdiva:

I think you might want to set a budget for this. Most GPS are quite legible, despite small screens.

If you wish to get a GPS, the most important thing to look for is SirfStar III. This is the best chip that is used in GPS products right now and it gives almost instantaneous lock-on to your location. However, these are more expensive than products that are not using SirfStar III.

As far as I know, Garmin offers the best variety of maps (read: free). So it might be your best bet.

By the way, in case if you don't already know, the people managing the GPS satellites might be discontinuing the service in a few years time. Apparently the service is costing them too much to sustain. In short, our GPS devices will become obsolete by then. As to exactly when they are going to do this, I am not sure.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: GPS - any recommendations   GPS - any recommendations I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 4:53 pm

rocky wrote:
By the way, in case if you don't already know, the people managing the GPS satellites might be discontinuing the service in a few years time. Apparently the service is costing them too much to sustain. In short, our GPS devices will become obsolete by then. As to exactly when they are going to do this, I am not sure.

I didn't know this but I'm not surprised that this is the case. While I see this to be a problem, my guess is that they won't shut it down. Rather, they'll charge people for access. Almost like an "online" service. There are a lot of GPS users out there (in the US, almost every car has one) so there's certainly money to be made. It's just a question of how and how much.
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: GPS - any recommendations   GPS - any recommendations I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 11:05 pm

Ok. Let me just add a little more to what I've mentioned about GPS.

The following article highlights the possibility of GPS failure due to "mismanagement (and) underinvestment".
GPS System could begin to fall within a year

The GPS system is managed by the United States Air Force. And the following is their rebuttal.
AIr Force Responds to GPS Outage Concerns

Cars are just the tip of the ice-berg. Every single shipping vessel in the world uses GPS to navigate the oceans. As of date, there are approximately 180,000 large scale shipping vessels in the world. They use GPS to indicate their own position and also to tell other vessels. If the GPS goes down, all the identification devices on the vessels will come to nought. In short, there would be mayhem on Earth!

Back to topic...

GPS is still safe to buy. As what I have mentioned in the above paragraph, they won't down these satellites so quickly.

My recommendation still goes with SirfStar III chipsets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GPS - any recommendations   GPS - any recommendations I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GPS - any recommendations
Page 1 of 1