Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to Film Your Swing on Video

Go down 
+9
Kruder
hsq7575
Genesis
Kopi Towkay
navik
tronos
weesern
Slicer51
Birdman
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

How to Film Your Swing on Video  Empty
PostSubject: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 10:49 am

Came across this article in the Sand Trap which will helpful to those who want to video their swing for self-analysis. Enjoy!

http://thesandtrap.com/playing_tips/filming_your_swing
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks Birdman for the information,

I wanted to get a SLR camera but hope to save enough to get it during Christmas sales. Would anybody know whether any model of Cannon or Nikon camera have the same features of this Casio too.

Do not be too expensive though, My budget is no more than SGD 1,100 ... " can get or not " ?
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 11:08 am

SLR dun take high speed videos...
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 11:23 am

No Problem Slicer51.

As far as I know, SLRs do not come with hi speed slow mo functions, only HD video with limited recording time for each clip. More to do with some Jap export law I was once told, like their cars electronically limited to 180 km/h.

Casio is the leader in the this slow mo vid function, and Fujifilm's HS10 (30x zoom) is the latest to jump on the bandwagon with a similar function. I haven't tested it though so not sure how it turns out. Both the Casio FH25 and Fujifilm HS10 are bridge prosumer cameras.

The Casio also takes hi speed still shots at 40 fps which the Fujifilm HS10 does not, shooting at only 7fps, which may be insufficient to catch all the positions in the swing you want to examine.

The Fujifilm HS10 retails for $799 and the Casio FH25 is a little higher than that I think, but definitely not more than $1000.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 11:31 am

can buy cheap gorrilapod tripods at Mustaffa, from small ones to really big ones. Got a smaller one for my camera can mount on the range divider, on your golf bag (placed behind you) or even take on course and film your tee off.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 9:37 pm

weesern wrote:
SLR dun take high speed videos...

Thanks weesern. I do not know. I am an idiot for this type of stuff Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Birdman wrote:
No Problem Slicer51.

As far as I know, SLRs do not come with hi speed slow mo functions, only HD video with limited recording time for each clip. More to do with some Jap export law I was once told, like their cars electronically limited to 180 km/h.

Casio is the leader in the this slow mo vid function, and Fujifilm's HS10 (30x zoom) is the latest to jump on the bandwagon with a similar function. I haven't tested it though so not sure how it turns out. Both the Casio FH25 and Fujifilm HS10 are bridge prosumer cameras.

The Casio also takes hi speed still shots at 40 fps which the Fujifilm HS10 does not, shooting at only 7fps, which may be insufficient to catch all the positions in the swing you want to examine.

The Fujifilm HS10 retails for $799 and the Casio FH25 is a little higher than that I think, but definitely not more than $1000.

Birdman,

Thank you for taking the time to explained. At least now, I understand a bit. I guess Casio FH25 is the one I shall get ... I will look c look c when I am in Singapore next week Hooray
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 9:43 pm

tronos wrote:
can buy cheap gorrilapod tripods at Mustaffa, from small ones to really big ones. Got a smaller one for my camera can mount on the range divider, on your golf bag (placed behind you) or even take on course and film your tee off.

So, it is cheaper to buy gorrilapod from Mustaffa .. Thx
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 12:36 am

You can get the "oem" gorillapod from dealextreme. They have free worldwide delivery. Plenty of sizes to choose from. It's almost as good as the original (and it's probably the same as the one from Mustafa Centre).
Back to top Go down
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 8:53 am

I was saving up for a Canon 7D at about 1800 US. Now Canon comes out with the Rebel T2i that's just about as good but at 900 US cheaper.

Decision Decsions.

Before buying the Casio, root around on youtube and google for comparisons articles and videos on Casio and Canon. There's plenty and the price of the T2i might just be of better value than the Casio series considering what you get, what and how you can view video clips at 1080/720 (size) on your computer.

Besides, the T2i might also give you more satisfaction with stills than the casio but that's a personal pref of course.

Decisions Decsions Decsisions........and we thought golf products were confusing!!!!
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 12:00 pm

Towkey,

You get my attention on this Canon rebel T2i. However, the prices ranges is beyond my budget. Does Canon have any cheaper model that have similar features of Casio FH25 ?

I am not taking pictures for competition but just need to video my swing in diving range or on course and also taking still shots. Having SPEED still shots feature is a must.

Sorry, as they say " wanted, green, cheap and good " Embarassed Embarassed Laughing
Back to top Go down
Genesis
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Kopi Towkay, Canon 7D is consider semi-pro camera which is more suitable for hobbyist, I'm not sure whether you've the passion like golfing, if you're then 7D would be a better investment. However, if you consider yourself new to DSLR then EOS 550D definitely a good investment also, the function and image quality is as good as 7D base on the spec and review. Both have heavy investment on the options of LENS and accessaries.. 550D has a better supportability like SD card , lower cost and the body is lighter then 7D. If you don't need those feature then go for 550D in my opinion..
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi guys,

Would you guys know a camera shop that I can look c look c, ask questions, prices clearly display on product and yet the salesmen will try to "cut my head on prices " ?

Do pm me if you find it inconvenience to post. Thx
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 1:44 pm

You can try John 3:16 in Funan IT Mall, it's level 3 or 4. Easy for you to locate just in case you're not so familiar with any place out of town. Go up by the escalator nearest the main entrance. They're very friendly to walk ins and will usually answer any questions you have.
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 1:46 pm

Mscolor at Ang Mo Kio, or TKfoto at funan
Back to top Go down
hsq7575
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
hsq7575

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 2:30 pm

Hi, just a suggestion. Canon have a new model 300HS that seems to match all your requirements. Most importantly is small size, it have SUPER SLOW MOTION film mode which i believe is great for recording and reviewing swing and price is within your budget..
Check out the specs yourself:

http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/products/compact-cameras/ixus/digital-ixus-300-hs

Price wise should be around $599...
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 6:34 pm

Thank you navik, birdman & hsq7575,

Appreciate for all the information
Back to top Go down
Kruder
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Kruder

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 10:12 pm

cheaper alternative. iSwing from the app store. USD $2.99. Smile
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 10:39 pm

Thanks everybody,

I finally brought a Casio EX-FH100 on my return trip to Singapore. It was highly recommend by the a nice sale guy for golf ... I also saw some Japanese customers buying the same model for golf too ...

I tested it before I purchase .... Nice features and price not over 1K .. It is somewhere 600 + ... I hope to start using it soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 2:53 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
Thanks Birdman for the information,

I wanted to get a SLR camera but hope to save enough to get it during Christmas sales. Would anybody know whether any model of Cannon or Nikon camera have the same features of this Casio too.

Do not be too expensive though, My budget is no more than SGD 1,100 ... " can get or not " ?

Hi, if it's all about video-taping your swing for analysis, you don't really need to invest in any camera capable of taking high speed shots. All you need is a normal cellphone camera to record your swing and thereafter download into V1 software which you can purchase and download into you PC / notebook thereafter.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Watchman, only two things, resolution for the cellphone cam may not be good enough, especially video in low light. And I think most dudes would want to see their swings immediately on the range to make the necessary changes in practice.

Nothing beats having a dedicated slow mo camera.
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 5:39 pm

Birdman wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion Watchman, only two things, resolution for the cellphone cam may not be good enough, especially video in low light. And I think most dudes would want to see their swings immediately on the range to make the necessary changes in practice.

Nothing beats having a dedicated slow mo camera.

If you have an iphone with V1 installed, voila ! Resolution-wise, tested and confirmed swee !
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 5:57 pm

watchman88sg wrote:
If you have an iphone with V1 installed, voila ! Resolution-wise, tested and confirmed swee !

Possible to post a video of a swing captured using iphone with V1, so that we can see the resolution and swee-ness??
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 6:20 pm

eden wrote:
watchman88sg wrote:

Possible to post a video of a swing captured using iphone with V1, so that we can see the resolution and swee-ness??

I wish I could Eden, but as far as iphone is concerned, I do not know how to transfer the recorded video into any PC or laptop. Only thing I know is the transfering of video is done through syncing the iphone using itunes.
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 7:36 pm

Sorry to bump this old thread. Is there any recommendation for a decent cheap camera which can record the swing properly? How much FPS minimally required to take such video? Would 60 fps suffice?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Film Your Swing on Video    How to Film Your Swing on Video  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to Film Your Swing on Video
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next