Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why I slice the ball thread

Go down 
+24
NikeN
Elysium
watermyforrest
ringrain_78
zalik22
Frederick
traix
Slicer51
tronos
pushslice
RegiT
Right_sided_coach
skybobo
weesern
Gray
Winston
Tituman
eiji
daveaha
eden
golf_snowman
jurongtiger
Duval_S
aural
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

Why I slice the ball thread Empty
PostSubject: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:04 pm

Want to find out why each of us slice the ball. Each of us has various reason and corrected it or still stuck at this problem. Let's share why we do it.

For me, mainly my setup. At address I realized my club shaft was slanted towards the left and I do a slow practice swing and realized that position no matter how my grip is the club face is alway open at impact. So now try change my address posture and shaft angle.

Anyway it's more prounced for longer shafts given the same slant or address position. After today, slightly better. Straight balls and lesser slice.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:20 pm

I am quite thick skin...maybe its due to over exposure under the sun.

Many times, I view my ball flight of such as power FADE.

Ok...serious now......BUT disclaimer: I am what they call accidental shot maker

For slice, I open up my stance and then swing normal....ball sure banana to left.
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:24 pm

Open face
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:37 pm

jurongtiger wrote:
Open face

Yeah, but for me impact and setup apparently has some difference so I adjusted my setup so that my impact is not open.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 9:26 pm

Reason for slice :

1. Ball contact at open face
2. Swing path out to in
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:17 pm

aural wrote:
jurongtiger wrote:
Open face

Yeah, but for me impact and setup apparently has some difference so I adjusted my setup so that my impact is not open.

how do u compensate with your setup?
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:39 pm

eden wrote:
aural wrote:
jurongtiger wrote:
Open face

how do u compensate with your setup?

Setup of club face ( after simulate my swing )then hold the club and back to setup ensuring shaft at totally relaxed arms are remembered. Apparently the difference is a slight tilt of my shaft and wrist position at relaxed position.
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 11:03 pm

For me, my body turn faster than my hands !
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 11:06 pm

...because i got no talent Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 11:15 pm

daveaha wrote:

At impact or start of down swing?
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 11:38 pm

daveaha wrote:

Thats the main problem of slice Dave. Try keeping your head still that at impact, your head still behind the ball. Give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 1:52 am

eeerrr....

1. Hips move too fast.
2. Breaking the left arm too early.
3. Not hitting ball / no impact, just push the club.
4. outside - in swing.
5. No follow through
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 8:24 am

swing path out to in may not cause slice. I did a swing analysis and my swing path out to in also but my ball is either draw or straight. seldom slice unless my hips turn too fast.

what causes my slice is usually when I set up, my right shoulder more front than my left shoulder instead of square to the ball.

Thats me lah
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 11:24 am

in also depends on the clubface.

Aural, what do you mean by shaft slant to left? assuming ball and clubface in the middle of the stance, the grip is at your left inner thigh?
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 11:41 am

weesern wrote:
in also depends on the clubface.

Aural, what do you mean by shaft slant to left? assuming ball and clubface in the middle of the stance, the grip is at your left inner thigh?

Yes, my grip was previously more towards my inner left thigh or sometimes flush with my left thigh. That was what my coach suggested for my 9 iron. But i think i procceded to use that for all my irons and also other clubs as i was getting good contact for my 9i after doing that. But while doing that i maintained the loft of the club which i think caused the club to be open at impact and thus the slice.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 12:17 pm

I got a feeling that is not the cause of your slice... the pros know better
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 12:26 pm

weesern wrote:
I got a feeling that is not the cause of your slice... the pros know better

I agree this may not be the sole cause, but perhaps one of the factors. Changed this last session and my slicing corrected substantially. Of course the normal, body turn faster causing slice is also one of the reason, but my slicing became pronouced after i changed my grip from centre to left of my body for all my clubs.

Anyway will be checking with the pros what my problems are also. I changed my grip to stronger instead of weak but the slicing still maintained and infact no much change. So that's where i look at my swing's impact which i saw the face at impact remained open, which i subsequently work backwards to my setup.

Will update more questions here after i talked to my coach.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Slice is definitely caused by an open face at impact.
The diff part is to find out what causes the face to be open.

For me, my problem is lack of a proper release.
I'm gripping too tight (especially the left hand)....as such I cannot achieve a proper release whereby the right crosses the left

Recently I try to hit hard after what my coach told me to do so.
I'm never an adovate of hitting hard as I feel that its more of a hand swing....Oh but how wrong am I.

Now, my slice is almost gone Smile even with the occasional draw. And more importantly, I achieve more power. My coach say this looks more like a golf swing, ha ha

Jack Nickalus say as long as you are clearing with your lower body, you can use your hand and hit it as hard as you want.

All the best.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 2:41 pm

skybobo wrote:

This is not the case. It is possible to slice with a square or closed clubface. The slice comes from the side spin that is put on the ball from the path of the swing, not an open clubface. An out to in swing path is what causes a slice.

It is actually possible to hit a draw with an open clubface if you have an in to out swing path

Easy rule of thumb is that the PATH determines the curve of the ball (slice/hook)
The CLUB FACE determines the starting direction (primarily).

Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
skybobo wrote:

This is not the case. It is possible to slice with a square or closed clubface. The slice comes from the side spin that is put on the ball from the path of the swing, not an open clubface. An out to in swing path is what causes a slice.

It is actually possible to hit a draw with an open clubface if you have an in to out swing path

Easy rule of thumb is that the PATH determines the curve of the ball (slice/hook)

Hi RSS

I understand that 2 possible factors for slicing are 1. Contact with open club face and 2. Out to in swing path.

My question is what are the possible causes for a Out to in swing path ?

I heard people with steeper setup at address are more likely to cause this type of swing path, is that true ?

snowman
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 4:25 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
skybobo wrote:

Yes RSS, you are right.
Out to in cause slice.
Now I know why my ball will sometimes goes straight all the way then curve right at the end.....so I suppose this is out to in swing path couple with a square club face?
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 4:37 pm

I think we may have to be precise with the questions. I.e given no out to in swing plane, same person swinging through the same ball, would a on the plane swing for open face club results in a spin to cause a slice compared to a sq face or close face impact. In relative to one another of course.
Back to top Go down
RegiT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 4:51 pm

aural wrote:
I think we may have to be precise with the questions. I.e given no out to in swing plane, same person swinging through the same ball, would a on the plane swing for open face club results in a spin to cause a slice compared to a sq face or close face impact. In relative to one another of course.
I believe the ball would start right and fly straight no slice spin as swing is on plane.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 5:08 pm

I think will still have side spin and ball will curve a bit.
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 10:15 pm

block/ push/ push-slice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why I slice the ball thread   Why I slice the ball thread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why I slice the ball thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next