Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?

Go down 
+10
golf_snowman
kuuligan
DGman
Duval_S
Birdman
ironfist
kopiO
mervyntan
Dcwchia
Technospaz
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? Empty
PostSubject: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 10:27 pm

I recall reading somewhere that if the shaft of your club is too stiff, you are more likely to slice the shot since you cannot re-align your downswing to get the club face square with the ball (apologies if my terminology is inaccurate). Can someone please confirm this?
Back to top Go down
Dcwchia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 10:31 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I recall reading somewhere that if the shaft of your club is too stiff, you are more likely to slice the shot since you cannot re-align your downswing to get the club face square with the ball (apologies if my terminology is inaccurate). Can someone please confirm this?

saw this somewhere, therefore i massage my shaft before tee off
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Dcwchia wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

saw this somewhere, therefore i massage my shaft before tee off

I'm sure there is more to this post than what I'm reading.
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Technospaz wrote:

yup, that is right.

i shall spare explaining on the technicalities and mechanics behind it, because i am very sure there are many others in the forum who would love to show off their superb knowledge.
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 10:41 pm

r we duplicating threads?

http://www.golfrepublic.org/golf-equipment-f7/how-to-choose-the-right-shaft-for-driver-t1161-75.htm?highlight=shaft+stiff#29591

IMHO, the shaft is the least of the cuplrit
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 10:41 pm

lol pls lah MT explain lah.. i read up on it before and went from a stiffer shaft to a more flexible one thinking i'd slice it less. i think my swing was the problem, cos i still sliced it pretty good. haha
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 3:13 am

MT to lazy to explain one la, lol. Just itching to play golf and jee seow people only.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 7:40 am

Okee. Thanks folks.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 9:55 am

if the shaft is so stiff..is that not like a baseball bat then....the club head and shaft always align...then shouldn't coz slice right?....just thinking aloud only...as neber played baseball before..only hockey
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 10:32 am

its all in the timing...

too stiff slice, too soft also slice.

however it the swing is completed with proper release, it should go straight but may lose distance as a result of shaft being too stiff.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 10:34 am

DGman wrote:
its all in the timing...

too stiff slice, too soft also slice.

however it the swing is completed with proper release, it should go straight but may lose distance as a result of shaft being too stiff.

DGman

Thanks, Eric.
Back to top Go down
kuuligan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 10:59 am

way too many variables to make such claim; swing speed, swing plane, impact force, wrist movement etc.

A hard hitter uses regular shaft as opposed to stiff, then the ball will slice. A slower swing player might need the softer shaft to whip in for straighter shots.

all said and done, we should be able to modify our swing to accomodate different shafts, just that might not be what we're comfortable with

lawd, my english sucks today lol
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 11:25 am

just add an "it" between that and might on third para and we are good to go.

well explained Kuuligan.....

the hard hitter will either slice or balloned his shot. in case like this the angle of attack can be in the double digit negative range. the slower swinger with the stiffer shaft will have to move his right hand a tad faster before impact to achieve accuracy.

DGman
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 11:26 am

kuuligan wrote:
way too many variables to make such claim; swing speed, swing plane, impact force, wrist movement etc.

A hard hitter uses regular shaft as opposed to stiff, then the ball will slice. A slower swing player might need the softer shaft to whip in for straighter shots.

all said and done, we should be able to modify our swing to accomodate different shafts, just that might not be what we're comfortable with

Of course there are many variables, but all things being equal... would a shaft which is too stiff result in slices?
Back to top Go down
kuuligan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 11:33 am

Technospaz wrote:
kuuligan wrote:

Of course there are many variables, but all things being equal... would a shaft which is too stiff result in slices?

that would depend on your swing speed. hard hitters will slice their ball with a softer shaft unless they can create a "whip" effect by releasing early and then holding back
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 12:22 pm

don't forget to factor in the effect of torque which is the other factor for club head twist upon impact. the result is the creation of side spin even when the golfer hit the sweep spot.

DGman
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 1:30 pm

i have try shaft with torque 4 and 4.8 and immediately i can see the effect...it was boomz...haha !!
Back to top Go down
hoelwill
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
hoelwill

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 5:07 pm

4 & 4.8 is consider twisty, not good, correct?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 5:09 pm

the 4.8 give me super slice..guess if i hit it harder, the ball will u-turn back...haha !!

4 is slightly better, but really looking for lower torque....
Back to top Go down
hoelwill
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
hoelwill

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 5:14 pm

i just got my javlnfx with Tq of 4.2
day 1 was slicing
day 2 was straight left
day 3 was hooking

What is my problem ah...
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 5:15 pm

hoelwill wrote:
i just got my javlnfx with Tq of 4.2
day 1 was slicing
day 2 was straight left
day 3 was hooking

What is my problem ah...

You are getting used to the shaft. Naturally hooking than slicing.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 5:22 pm

few thing that i usually need to take note :

1. grip : whether are you on the strong grip or weaker grip
2. swing path : outside-in or inside-out
3. club face at impact : open or close

then follow by the equipment itself, u know shaft flex, shaft torque..etc etc..
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 6:31 pm

LOL me also hooking after i got my stiffer shaft (coming from slicing a lot), so much so that a closed faced driver (like my 5900) is almost unplayable.
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 9:18 pm

best advice will be go club fit . but it will depend on ur hand speed. but stiffer harder the draw will be if u got slow hands
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 10:39 pm

Cyp_PGA wrote:
best advice will be go club fit . but it will depend on ur hand speed. but stiffer harder the draw will be if u got slow hands

Thanks, CYP!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?   If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If the shaft is too stiff, it's more likely to cause a slice?
Page 1 of 1