Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putter Restoration

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
golfkaki
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfkaki

Putter Restoration Empty
PostSubject: Putter Restoration   Putter Restoration I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 4:14 am

I have a Scotty circa 62 #3 putter, the finishing has gone and it begin to rust...

love this putter soft feel... am wondering any1 here knows where can i get it restored to the original gun metal or pro platinum finishing (locally)?

All know is Scotty Studio have the restoration service but it takes too long and costing a bomb.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Putter Restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter Restoration   Putter Restoration I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 12:26 pm

there is no restoration services in Singapore. used to have one in thailand but the quality has gone from passable to unacceptable in recent years.

your best bet is still Scotty Custom Shop, ex but the result is predictably good. have tried various including BOS (Black Oxide Services). if its a putter that you treasure you may have to go to the orthodox SCS route, otherwise you may have to live with the corrosion.

a quick fix is get gun metal coating oil from gun shop (i think there is one at golden mile area) and soak the head in that to achieve some form of non-permanent blue metal coat.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Putter Restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter Restoration   Putter Restoration I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 1:26 pm

I have heard that to achieve an oil can finish, lightly sand the rust areas off with fine sand paper. Then heat up the head with a heat gun and drop it into a can of engine oil.

Not sure if it works but I was tempted to try. Was only afraid Mr Governator will come running after me for 'harming' the Californian environment in the process.

I sent my Trusty Rusty SC and a Vokey wedge to BOS just 2 days ago. The damage isn't more than $180USD excl shipping. That includes re-milling my putter face.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Putter Restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter Restoration   Putter Restoration I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 1:37 pm

actually not difficult to achieve oil can effect....

high heat for 15 minutes and soak in oil to get flame effect.

any volunteers? need metal oil pan and a big can of mineral motor oil...we can throw in a few wedges too...

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Titleist
Titleist Staff
Titleist

Putter Restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter Restoration   Putter Restoration I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 6:27 pm

golfkaki wrote:
I have a Scotty circa 62 #3 putter, the finishing has gone and it begin to rust...

love this putter soft feel... am wondering any1 here knows where can i get it restored to the original gun metal or pro platinum finishing (locally)?

All know is Scotty Studio have the restoration service but it takes too long and costing a bomb.

Hi Golfkaki,

There are basically two services that are available, the one you mentioned through the Cameron shop is more for customisation of an existing putter (different paintfill, add initials...etc) along with restoration if its not in good shape. This all has to be done through the custom shop on scottycameron.com

The other option is just restoration meaning the putter will be brought back to the original condition that you purchased it in. This is offered through Titleist in Singapore and is not as expensive. The putter still goes back to the US to be finished. If you want to try this method please approach the shop that you purchased the putter from or from any authorised dealer here and they can help you get some estimated costings and leadtimes. If you have any further question please email us at askTitleistSEA@acushnetgolf.com

Titleist, Singapore
Back to top Go down
golfkaki
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfkaki

Putter Restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter Restoration   Putter Restoration I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 8:28 pm

Titleist wrote:

Hi Golfkaki,

There are basically two services that are available, the one you mentioned through the Cameron shop is more for customisation of an existing putter (different paintfill, add initials...etc) along with restoration if its not in good shape. This all has to be done through the custom shop on scottycameron.com

The other option is just restoration meaning the putter will be brought back to the original condition that you purchased it in. This is offered through Titleist in Singapore and is not as expensive. The putter still goes back to the US to be finished. If you want to try this method please approach the shop that you purchased the putter from or from any authorised dealer here and they can help you get some estimated costings and leadtimes. If you have any further question please email us at askTitleistSEA@acushnetgolf.com

Titleist, Singapore

as always... the forum members are the best to get infos from, tks a lot for all the pointers.

Will contact titleist SEA about the restoration... best if i can get the pro platinum finish
Back to top Go down
billi
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
billi

Putter Restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter Restoration   Putter Restoration I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 10:02 pm

You can check with west coast ,
they send to usa to do it . change a original grip re shft .
Back to top Go down
golfkaki
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfkaki

Putter Restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter Restoration   Putter Restoration I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 12:25 pm

billi wrote:
You can check with west coast ,
they send to usa to do it . change a original grip re shft .

hi billi, could give more details... where about in West Coast? Contact details?
Back to top Go down
billi
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
billi

Putter Restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter Restoration   Putter Restoration I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 6:57 pm

HOng leong Gdn ,west Coast but I dont have the full address , behind the used car dealer ,

Look for alex ,
Back to top Go down
Titleist
Titleist Staff
Titleist

Putter Restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter Restoration   Putter Restoration I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 10:29 pm

golfkaki wrote:
Titleist wrote:

Hi Golfkaki,

Titleist, Singapore

as always... the forum members are the best to get infos from, tks a lot for all the pointers.

Will contact titleist SEA about the restoration... best if i can get the pro platinum finish

Hi Golfkaki,

Just to clarify, if you want to send back through us (via an authorised Titleist dealer) or the second option in our email it means the putter can only be brought back to its original condition and that includes the original finish. If you require a custom finish you will need to send the putter back through the custom shop directly at scottycameron.com.

Sorry if we were not clear on that.

Titleist, Singapore
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Putter Restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putter Restoration   Putter Restoration I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putter Restoration
Page 1 of 1