Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Irons getting Shorter and Shorter

Go down 
+5
sandkie
hillgreen
TObe
Duval_S
yapeeguy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
yapeeguy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yapeeguy

Irons getting Shorter and Shorter Empty
PostSubject: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 11:21 am

Hi All,

I am having a huge problem with my Irons, two years ago, my 7 iron is about 135-140m (avearage), not it is hitting like 110m.

My 9 iron is only 90m against a 110m in the past.

I really do not understand what really happended.

If you may give me advises, please feel free to criticise.

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 11:25 am

Quote :
Quote :
yapeeguy wrote:
Hi All,

I am having a huge problem with my Irons, two years ago, my 7 iron is about 135-140m (avearage), not it is hitting like 110m.

My 9 iron is only 90m against a 110m in the past.

I really do not understand what really happended.

If you may give me advises, please feel free to criticise.

Thanks in advance

errr...are you like getting younger as years passes by? hahahaha....just kidding..

come to the Stary stary nite on wed lah....many pros around...can give tips....

If I do go, I can show you negative demo and if any of your swing mirror mine, then thats is where you are doing it wrong.....
Back to top Go down
TObe
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TObe

PostSubject: Re: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 2:00 pm

not really qualifies to give advice but just like to give my 0.2cents worth based on my own historical (and current) problems. i used to hit less distance on irons due to the 'scooping' bad habit which delofts the clubface and transfers more upward motion to the ball (instead of downwards compression plus forward force).

u can just notice your shots' flight height and divot marks to see if this might be the root of your woes.

hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 3:31 pm

Then, my 0.1 cents worth of opinion...

It could due to the slower swing that you might developed if u have stopped golf for a while or that the muscular strength had weakened the swing impact.

Also, it could be the certain golf range balls that you hit. I noticed some range balls (in certain range) were more used and therefore compression of the balls had been greatly reduced. If you can hit about 140m with new balls, you could probably do about 120m with a not-so-good range ball.

These are some more reasons that I like to add in.......
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 3:34 pm

I used to have this problem too. I used to be able to hit 145-150m for 7 iron. Then one fine day, I realized it has become 135-140m. I figured out it was because I seldom hit full swing anymore with my irons. If I increase my turn in my backswing I could hit 145m again. But I don't prefer it anymore because it is less consistent.

But there are really many factors. You can join GR on Wed, and people can help you to see why.
Back to top Go down
yapeeguy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yapeeguy

PostSubject: Re: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 9:34 am

TObe wrote:
not really qualifies to give advice but just like to give my 0.2cents worth based on my own historical (and current) problems. i used to hit less distance on irons due to the 'scooping' bad habit which delofts the clubface and transfers more upward motion to the ball (instead of downwards compression plus forward force).

u can just notice your shots' flight height and divot marks to see if this might be the root of your woes.

hope this helps!

Hi Tobe,

I thing you are right, I am scooping now like crazy No

If you have some tips that helped you overcome it, that will be great.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
yapeeguy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yapeeguy

PostSubject: Re: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 9:35 am

hillgreen wrote:
Then, my 0.1 cents worth of opinion...

It could due to the slower swing that you might developed if u have stopped golf for a while or that the muscular strength had weakened the swing impact.

Also, it could be the certain golf range balls that you hit. I noticed some range balls (in certain range) were more used and therefore compression of the balls had been greatly reduced. If you can hit about 140m with new balls, you could probably do about 120m with a not-so-good range ball.

These are some more reasons that I like to add in.......

Actually, it is not the range balls distance, am using Titelist NXT for a while, so the balls were pretty consistent. I do agree with you that it may be due to a break.

Thanks for the advise Very Happy
Back to top Go down
yapeeguy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yapeeguy

PostSubject: Re: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 9:36 am

taskie wrote:
I used to have this problem too. I used to be able to hit 145-150m for 7 iron. Then one fine day, I realized it has become 135-140m. I figured out it was because I seldom hit full swing anymore with my irons. If I increase my turn in my backswing I could hit 145m again. But I don't prefer it anymore because it is less consistent.

But there are really many factors. You can join GR on Wed, and people can help you to see why.

You are right too, I turn less, and scoop more. need to go driving range for 2000 balls to fix it Sad
Back to top Go down
TObe
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TObe

PostSubject: Re: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 9:50 am

Hi yapeeguy,

I wouldn't say that I've completely solved my probs but it's gotten better a little after I made it a habit to try to compress the ball and (try to) create a divot in front of the ball. So the main thing (in my humble opinion) is to try to ensure that you hit down on the ball such that impact is still on the downswing (and not upswing, which 'scoops'). You can try visualizing that you are hitting at a spot in front of the ball (where a divot shld be) when at the range to cultivate this habit - then bring it to the course (no pt if you fall back on your old style)

One caveat tho - when not used to it, the tendency to duff becomes higher. But well, we got to make some sacrafices (to the score) if we wanna perfect our swing/ball contact.

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
oned10t
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
oned10t

PostSubject: Re: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 10:15 am

Last time my coach always remind me to hit down on the ball , wonders if it works
but till now I still play like beginner and don't understand the theory
just my 2 cents worth
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 10:37 am

Usually we tend to have the bottom of the swing under the ball of just behind the ball (right of the ball for right handed). what we try to do is have the bottom of the swing at the left of the ball.

maybe can imagine there is a ball on the left of the real ball (for right handed). when you swing, try to hit the imaginary ball.
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 11:32 am

it may not be ur swing but the sharft or u lose speed n compact impact
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 3:00 pm

just adding one more input is...

Hit a "Cut" shot on irons can lead to less distance
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
yapeeguy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yapeeguy

PostSubject: Re: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 5:15 pm

I love this forum, there are so many helpful people here.

Thanks all for your great advises, seems like I got to work harder to resolve it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Irons getting Shorter and Shorter   Irons getting Shorter and Shorter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Irons getting Shorter and Shorter
Page 1 of 1