Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GadgetGuy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
GadgetGuy

Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing? Empty
PostSubject: Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing?   Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi. I've seen pros recommending for backswing not to dip left shoulder which means weist should be parralle while turning during backswing. Earilier today read an article in a magazine in which Palmer recommends turning with left shoulder pointing at the ball at top of swing showing quite a dip of shoulder and weist angled downwards. I'm confused... Who's correct? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing?   Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Personally I don't think dipping left shoulder is a good habit but I sometime have this bad habits too.
Back to top Go down
WaLau
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
WaLau

PostSubject: Re: Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing?   Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 1:59 am

The pro recommendation should be to those without good flexibility. Any more rotation to that person are not leading to any goods.

The Magazine recommendation is always general information. Obviously, the more one could rotate his shoulder, more power could be generate. Hence longer distance.

One should do a test to see how much he can rotate and swing according to his own ability.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing?   Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 9:54 am

I believe this shoulder pointing at the ball is a big cause of over rotation and reverse pivoting. As you mention, the waist will change levels. The knees will also buckle inwards and your spine angle will change. Palmer was a great player but from a different era. I don't think this is the way to go nowdays. The shoulders must turn, but the direction they turn is the important part.
Back to top Go down
GadgetGuy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
GadgetGuy

PostSubject: Re: Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing?   Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 11:10 am

Thank you for the comments. So general agreement is that one should maintain waist at same level while rotating. I noticed I do fatting shots if left shoulder dip when ratating.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing?   Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Left shoulder should/shouldn't point towards ball at top of swing?
Page 1 of 1