Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot

Go down 
+7
sunny
nutty88
benhogan
Khorkar
siaw8
S70B
Technospaz
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot Empty
PostSubject: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 9:33 am

I've realized that when I drive, my follow-through doesn't flow forward. Instead, I tend to pull the club a little too quickly which results in my shots being pulled as well (or at best, a draw).

So, to help me ensure a smooth follow-through, I tried driving by placing the ball at the toe of my left foot. This corrected my follow-through and also gave me more distance possibly because of the increased speed in the upswing. Accuracy-wise, it was also pretty good.

I wonder whether anyone plays like this. Am I being unorthodox here?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 11:27 am

Would'nt placing the ball at the toe of your left foot hurt when u hit the ball a little heavy??? scratch
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 11:38 am

Stretcher
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 2:00 pm

Techno, you really terror leh. Like that also can swing.

I used to do this to counter my power slice. In the end, not working then my swing got worst. So, in the end, went back to pro and get a fellow forumer for tips. I think my driver swing has improve a lot.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 4:02 pm

S70B wrote:
Would'nt placing the ball at the toe of your left foot hurt when u hit the ball a little heavy??? scratch

You know what I meant Razz
Back to top Go down
benhogan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Shiit, now i have a swollen left toe and a bruised ego.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 4:26 pm

It's not at the left toe, but it's aligned to the toes of the left foot.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 11:16 am

I actually don't see anything wrong with placing the ball on your left toes. I do that too and realized that I can hit it on the up swing, which gives me a higher trajectory and lesser spin. I feel that this is really a personal choice depending on one's swing, so if it works for you, stick with it.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 11:36 am

nutty88 wrote:
I actually don't see anything wrong with placing the ball on your left toes. I do that too and realized that I can hit it on the up swing, which gives me a higher trajectory and lesser spin. I feel that this is really a personal choice depending on one's swing, so if it works for you, stick with it.

Thanks Smile Finally, an answer which helped Razz
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:23 pm

wouldn't that make your shots pull or slice?

If you draw an arc of your golf club, past the center it is actually going left (for right hander). Thus if you catch the ball square with respect to the swing, it will go left. If you catch it close, it will hook severely. If you catch it slightly open, it will go straight but then fade or slice cos you swipe it across.

Disclaimer: this is just my personal view based on how i visualise the swing path and impact position of the club. It may or may not be true and of cos there are ppl who can hit it great from this position. Just that I thought such method means something is compensating and it would require more on immaculate timing to get a good drive. Maybe those super low handicapper like S70B or the gurus can help

Last edited by sunny on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:26 pm

sunny wrote:
wouldn't that make your shots pull or slice?

If you draw an arc of your golf club, pass the center it is actually going left (for right hander). Thus if you catch the ball square with respect to the swing, it will go left. If you catch it close, it will hook severely. If you catch it slightly open, it will go straight but then fade or slice cos you swipe it across.

Disclaimer: this is just my personal view based on how i visualise the swing path and impact position of the club. It may or may not be true and of cos there are ppl who can hit it great from this position. Just that I thought such method means something is compensating and it would require more on immaculate timing to get a good drive. Maybe those super low handicapper like S70B or the gurus can help

That's what I thought too. It's not a permanent fix. I'm just trying to review my swing and correct some follow-through issues I have. I thought that this would be a good way to ensure that I swing through since I have a tendency to pull too quickly if the ball was placed more on the right of where it is now.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:27 pm

Sunny, yr disclaimers are longer that yr comments. ha ha ha.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:32 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Sunny, yr disclaimers are longer that yr comments. ha ha ha.

Like lawyer.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:18 pm

maybe will help if u change position of the bottom of ur swing arc??
Back to top Go down
X-Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
X-Man

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:30 pm

I used to have the power slice problem too... I spent a few weeks trying to correct it.

Now I would also place my golf ball aligned to the left toe, on the outside not the inside....

It would go further if I follow through on my swing, which is easier in this position cause I always hit down on the ground even with a driver.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Elbry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Elbry

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:38 pm

hmmm, I always place my ball 2-3 balls from where my left big toe is supposed to be, is that correct?
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:44 pm

[quote="sunny"]wouldn't that make your shots pull or slice?

If you draw an arc of your golf club, past the center it is actually going left (for right hander). Thus if you catch the ball square with respect to the swing, it will go left. If you catch it close, it will hook severely. If you catch it slightly open, it will go straight but then fade or slice cos you swipe it across.
/quote]

All depends on one's swing as I mentioned in my earlier post. The swing path differs from person to person. In my case, I noticed that if I tee-up the ball aligning to the inside of my left foot, I will push it. I believe this is because I wasn't able to square the club face fast enough. By placing it a bit more left, I am able to give it another split second to square the face before impact, which also allows me to hit it on the up-swing.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:46 pm

If your ball goes where you want it to; then it's correct.

If the ball doesn't go where you want it to; then is incorrect. Surprised

Not everybody setup, swing, grip, or align the same way... Wink
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 3:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've set up an appointment with my coach. Best to get this reviewed and to see if I can fix the swing, rather than ball placement, since I reckon that my swing is where the fault lies.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 3:35 pm

Ball position is like politics - there is no right or wrong. Only different views.

I am a preacher of the same ball position for a standard shot with reference to your left foot regardless of what club. It is actually the right foot that moves and changes the width of the stance.

But for driving, I will also vary it slightly every now and then when I need to hit a drive low or high, get it to launch, cut draw. It will all be dependant on how I want to play the shot.

Only way is to experiment. Its only too far back if you keep catching it heavy or too far forward if you keep topping it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 3:36 pm

S70B wrote:
Ball position is like politics - there is no right or wrong. Only different views.

I am a preacher of the same ball position for a standard shot with reference to your left foot regardless of what club. It is actually the right foot that moves and changes the width of the stance.

But for driving, I will also vary it slightly every now and then when I need to hit a drive low or high, get it to launch, cut draw. It will all be dependant on how I want to play the shot.

Only way is to experiment. Its only too far back if you keep catching it heavy or too far forward if you keep topping it. Wink

Thanks, mate. That makes good sense to me Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot   Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driving with the ball placed at the toe of the left foot
Page 1 of 1