Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf swing related pain in left ankle

Go down 
+4
Kenneth
ljlow
kian
zixter
8 posters
AuthorMessage
zixter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf swing related pain in left ankle Empty
PostSubject: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi all,

I am a right hander who has been playing golf about 2 years on a weekly basis. My swing is considered the smooth kind and I never try to force.

Recently I have been developing left ankle pains, and they are getting quite bad. I think obviously my left ankle has been absorbing much of the "force" of my swing.

Does anyone has this problem before and know any small tweak which can be made to the swing to correct this? (e.g. bend more left knee on down swing)

I would like to continue playing golf ...

Thanks anyone in advance.

Z
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
kian

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 10:48 pm

i had the same pain u described...i didnt feel it til after the game...at 1st i tot i sprained my ankle but i didnt rembr any "accidents"....
i did some TCM rubbing myself and pasted salonplast....it healed 2-3 days after....
Back to top Go down
zixter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 10:52 pm

kian wrote:
i had the same pain u described...i didnt feel it til after the game...at 1st i tot i sprained my ankle but i didnt rembr any "accidents"....
i did some TCM rubbing myself and pasted salonplast....it healed 2-3 days after....

Thanks Kian .. ok la will try ... worried
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
kian

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 10:58 pm

but i tink better to go find the real TCM better....mine was quite a big ba-lu-ku.....

dont tink the ang mo doctor can help much...
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
kian

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:00 pm

im glad im not the onli one having the same prob...cuz i asked arund but noone else that i know of had the same prob.....
Back to top Go down
zixter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 pm

kian wrote:
im glad im not the onli one having the same prob...cuz i asked arund but noone else that i know of had the same prob.....

Do you still get it? Have you changed the way you swing? I suspect my left knee at impact too straight ..
Back to top Go down
ljlow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:32 pm

my pain is on the outer arc of left foot, not on ankle...can only feel it on certain angle...

have you guys experience something similar?
Back to top Go down
zixter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:35 pm

ljlow wrote:
my pain is on the outer arc of left foot, not on ankle...can only feel it on certain angle...

I think it's similar leh ... I feel like posting my swing video here but paiseh sia ...
Back to top Go down
ljlow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 12:17 am

no paiseh... there are so many GRians here able to give advice...
Back to top Go down
Kenneth
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 1:32 am

I learnt that is better to position our left foot slightly V shape to minimize the impact on our left leg.
Back to top Go down
zixter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 9:06 am

Kenneth wrote:
I learnt that is better to position our left foot slightly V shape to minimize the impact on our left leg.

Ok thanks Kenneth.. I can try .. but if i remember correctly whenever I try that my body can't seem to complete rotating .. like somewhere at the hips it got stuck ...
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 11:26 am

Zixter, I tried this method and it seems to help with my hips turning.

Back to top Go down
Jenna09
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 2:11 pm

A condition of all the players to manage in windy conditions. As the wind changes direction a hole in a hole you never know what to expect. There are 3 easy golf tips that can be used in windy conditions, which will help to improve the way we play. It deals with changing in the presence of wind can be difficult, but there are ways to tame the wind. The biggest challenge then was to avoid having to do with trees and hills. There were times when the wind is added to the challenge, but the trees helped to reduce the impact.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 2:27 pm

kian wrote:
i had the same pain u described...i didnt feel it til after the game...

The only problem I have after golf... is a sprain wallet... pale
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 4:12 pm

zixter wrote:
ljlow wrote:

I think it's similar leh ... I feel like posting my swing video here but paiseh sia ...

Guys,

This is quite common among golfers. I used to get it quite frequently when I first started playing.

The area in question is the peroneal tendon. Here's a picture. It's a right foot, but swap it visually for a left foot, and you'll have a common area of pain among golfers.

Golf swing related pain in left ankle Ankle_peroneal_sublux_symptoms01

Golf swing related pain in left ankle Peroneal_tendon_pain_mod

There are two tendons called the peroneus longus tendon and the peroneus brevis tendon.

Golf swing related pain in left ankle Peroneal

Golf swing related pain in left ankle Peroneal%20tendon%20injuries

"During an ankle sprain, as the ankle begins to roll, the peroneal tendons fire to stabilize the ankle and prevent the sprain from occurring. Both tendons are pulling up against the downward force of the lateral ankle. The fibula (lateral ankle bone) becomes a wedge carrying body weight down toward the ground. As the fibula drives downward, the peroneal tendons pull up against the ankle and are compressed. The peroneus brevis tendon is adjacent to the fibula while the peroneus longus tendon runs to the outside of the brevis. A longitudinal tear occurs when the peroneus longus tendon actually pulls so hard that it transects (slices) the brevis tendon into two parts along its' length. This means that the injury is actually caused by one peroneal tendon (the longus) transecting the other peroneal tendon (the brevis)."

In a golf swing, when we fire our hips and shift the weight to the left side, the left ankle tend to roll as well. It's called an ankle inversion, a common cause of peroneal tendon injury. Here's an illustration.

Golf swing related pain in left ankle Ankle

The peroneal tendons are designed to brace against precisely this sort of motion in order to stabilize the ankle. So be careful not to overdo this move in the downswing as it hits the peroneal tendons directly.

When our left ankle start to hurt, this is usually one of the typical reaons.

If the pain persists or becomes chronic, would be wise to see a doctor about it. Surgery may be necessary to repair the tendons because it does not heal itself well.
Back to top Go down
zixter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks lee .. That's an excellent explanation .. Sian la .. But I bought an ankle guard it seems to lessen the ankle rolling part but I still have the injury pain from previous games .. Hope it can recover by itself, even if slowly ..

thanks acidic for the video ...

For anyone with this pain I strongly suggest ankle guard .. I use it today I find that my drives are further haha .. Perhaps due to the force properly transferred to the ball instead of bei wasted on my ankle roll .. Hehe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf swing related pain in left ankle   Golf swing related pain in left ankle I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf swing related pain in left ankle
Page 1 of 1